When will the swimming article be up?

When will the swimming article be posted on the brillbaby website? Now that it’s summer, I would like to know what it has to say.

Hi nhockaday

I was going to do the Speaking + Signing section of the site next, but you make a very good point - summer is upon us! So I will do the swimming article first. It will be up shortly - and I will reply to this thread again when it is.

Thanks nhockaday :slight_smile:

Best wishes

Maddy (Editor, BrillBaby)

The speaking + signing will be great too

what swimming article? :unsure:

It’s on the brillbaby website

Ah Ha! I never really browsed thru the website…I’ve been so into the forums and program…looks like there’s a wealth of great information there…thanks.

Please keep us updated regarding swimming.

Sapna

Hello,

Glenn Doman’s son Douglas Doman wrote a book called How to Teach Your Baby to Swim. It’s a good read with full of photographs!

My 2 girls started going to Baby Swimmers Lessons earlier this year. Marissa was 2.5 yrs then while Allyssa’s 11 months. The only advise I have is this… PLEASE START YOUR CHILD AS EARLY AS YOU CAN!!

Allyssa can be independent in the water with the help of floats and arm rings. She is very happy when in the pool. She kinda have natural instinct of kicking to keep herself afloat and keeping her mouth shut so as not to drink water when going under the water. Swimming also helps her crawl faster and balance well. As for Marissa, at her age, she starts to be cautious and will cling on you even the floats are with her. She knows she can drown if she lets go of you and floats! She is supposed to learn swimming independently without parent’s present in the pool at this age, I still have to go with her now. She will be independent with her swimming coach next term. Having said that, both girls enjoy water!! They enjoy the lessons and ask us to take them to the swimming pool as often as time permits! It’s part of our bonding sessions!

Yep, that’s a great book.

I definitely agree that you should get your baby/toddler used to swimming asap. Felicity (2.5 years) also loves swimming, and she swims independently using a life-jacket sort of thing. I prefer that to arm floats cos it leaves her arms more free to ‘swim’.

At first she would HATE having any water get on her face, but now she’s much more used to it. I would wet my face (or dunk myself under water), get up, wipe my face, and say, “No problem! It’s only water!”, and now she does the same too. :slight_smile: She still hates getting dunked under water though… :slight_smile:

Is there some kind of special lessons for young children? Or do you just take them to the pool? :slight_smile:

Well, I think there are certain tips to follow to encourage progress.

First one is to get them used to having water on their faces, and then for them to get used to going under water. From what I remember from the book, you get them used to is in the shower or bath first. A good tip is to give them warning about what you’re going to do, eg., “1, 2, 3, under!”.

Another one (for toddlers and up) is to get them to be able to blow bubbles in the water.

And other obvious ones like holding on to the edge of the pool and paddling with their legs.

Oh so just kind of tips that you read about… I though there might be some sort of classes that do something different than that :slight_smile:
I guess it’s better done by a parent because of trust and feeling safe?
Thanks KL :slight_smile:

Discussion on infant swimming classes continued here:
http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/your-baby-can-swim!-(split-from-‘when-will-the-swimming-article-be-up’)/msg2691/?topicseen#new

I really want to teach bub to swim but I feel awful at the thought of going to a public pool, all that baby fat not lost… even dressed in tankini top and board shorts I’d still feel self-conscious and fat. Good on you all that can rise above fat worries… and envy to those who dont have fat worries!!

There sure are classes you can take your babies to, from birth! These ones are in the UK , I’m not sure where you are but there should be some around you somewhere. I guess they would be able to give you info at your local pool?
http://www.waterbabies.co.uk/its_only_natural.php
http://www.splashbabies.co.uk/
We started Ashley at about 5 months and he loves going under the water now!

In Australia they usually have a once a week program (for a school term, not on in school holidays)…lessons half an hour For $12 each, which is what babies would have to do (a parent has to be with them until they are 3 years old). In school holidays they have intensives, you can do 5 days a week for 1 week or 2, or even three weeks at the end of the school year, but that’s more for schol age kids.
It’s good to get them learning early. Two weeks ago my 9 year old son was “sick” on a monday and didnt go to school. Then he admitted he had swimming… and had hidden all the newsletters etc about it. He didnt want to go because he wasnt a good swimmer, and he’s a competitive boy and likes to be the best at everything. I wish he’d had lessons, but I didnt do baby swimming cos of my own self-consciousness and also lack of funds at the time.
But I tried to explain to him my definition of swimming is… not drowning. If he can get in the water and not drown, he’s swimming successfully, cos that’s what it’s all about.

got waterbabies dvd classes and is wonderful . i highly recommended . it tells you how to teach babies how to swim from birth .
love
viv

Bella - Where did you order the video from?

thanks

sorry it is just too crazy over here with a newborn hmm 9 weeks old now , and a toddler , and a specialneed .
here the link
www.babyexperiences.co.uk/​products.asp?​product_​id=72

it is really good , the idea of seeing babies and mummies swimming in a dvd class is a lot better than just read a book .
it will give you the courage and the how to do it yourself

love
viv

Thanks Bella,
Congrats on the new little one!
I’ll check that out & hopefully get a program started.