What books are you reading this week?

I thought I would start a post to let others know what books we are reading this week in our home. I personally believe that reading to our kids is more important than anything else we can teach them. Of course, I love teaching my kids to read and all that other stuff, but without a love of reading it is pointless. So, we read a lot in our house and that encourages the children to learn to read as well as to want to read themselves. We have some pretty good books from the library and this is what we are reading now.

Dogs by Emily Gravett This is a short picture book that really encourages my youngest reader to read to me. A lot of the books we are reading are short and sweet and have my daughter insisting on reading to me.

Red Truck by Kersten Hamilton

Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes

My Little Polar Bear by Claudia Rueda

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Flash, Crash, Rumble and Roll by Franklyn M. Branley (This is all about lightening and thunder.)

Let’s Count Goats by Mem Fox

Purple is Part of a Rainbow by Carolyn Kowalczyk

There’s a Map on My Lap! by Tish Rabe

All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon

Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes

In-o-saur, Out-o-saur by David Bedford (This is a cute opposite book for dinosaur lovers.)

I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track by Joshua Prince

Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann

Bootsie Barker Bites by Barbara Bottner

These are the books we have been reading over and over the last few days. What about you?

We have a few that we use on the ongoing basis:

The Beginners Bible - reading a few stories a day and reviewing some, along with flannel graph
The Christian Mother Goose Big Book by Marjorie Decker – its her favorite, it is REALLY REALLY good – excellent rhymes and illustrations

Then this week we also did:

My body - how it works ( Golden Books)
The three little pigs
Classical poetry in Russian, Pushkin this week
Children’s poetry by Marshak in Russian
Los Heroes de la Granja and El gusano de la discordia by Derek and Michele Brooks – Spanish
What is love, Biscuit?
My grandma and me
The Story of Easter
And… and few other ones but my baby is calling me now :slight_smile:

My little girl is 2 yo and her brother is 9 months, he is listening to most of the things we are reading together and we do some specially for him

Great idea, BTW, to share what we read with our children, we all can use extra ideas!

Thanks for the info Skylark. I did not know there was a The Christian Mother Goose Big Book by Marjorie Decker . I will definitely check that out. I love Mother Goose, but some of the rhymes are downright nasty. We have Mary Engelbreight’s Mother Goose. I really like that one. Her illustrations are so sweet and nice and there are none of the nasty rhymes in there.

I am off to check on it now.

I recently purchased a couple children’s books from shutterfly.com. They have you submit a photo of your child facing forward and a couple details about where they were born, their birth date, etc. I just received the book and it is the cutest thing. Seeing our son’s picture included on every page in different settings and seeing his name on every page included in the story line and playing a key role in the story. My husband and I have never laughed so much. My son is only 7 months old but he recognizes his face in the book and tries to grab it and he loves hearing his name throughout the story. The actual text of the book takes about twenty minutes to read.

We are also reading

Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones by Claire Freedman
Sesame Street’s Lots of Opposites
Disney’s Family Story Collection 75 Fables for Living, Loving, & Learning

And of course my son’s favorite Curious George stories

Wow, Mela1, Make Way For the Ducklings is a pretty long books for a 7 month old. Does he sit and listen to the whole thing? That is fantastic.

I love Winnie the Pooh. I have the big book of all the works of A.A. Milne. I was reading about him the other day and it said he was reading at 2 years old. I thought that was awesome. It also said no one was surprised that he could read at 2 years old. I feel sad when I read his work because I wish Pooh had more adventures. I read the newly released book about POoh. I can’t remember what it is called. It has a blue cover. It was written in the style of A.A. Milne. It was pretty good, but it just isn’t the same. Do yourself a favor, if you have not read Pooh by the original author, read it. They are timeless classics that even my teenagers were laughing at as I read to my little ones.

I just looked at Shutterfly.com. That is so neat. What size did you order?

My son loves being read to he sits through even longer books than Make Way For Ducklings.
He also loves the word flashcards from Monki See Monki Do. He lets me show him an entire volume at a time.
Did they say how A.A. Milne learned to read at such a young age?
Sometimes when we finish reading a Winnie the Pooh or Curious George story and he is still attentive to listening I make up follow up stories and elaborate on their adventures and often have Curious George hide Pooh’s honey pot.
I will look into finding Winnie the Pooh books by the original author. I know my Mom has alot of Pooh books at her house and will check them out this weekend to see the author but I think they are by A.A. Milne as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

The photo books on shutterfly are books that you can create as a story photo album and they do come in various sizes. I usually get the 12 by 12 books but they often send you promotions for a free 8 by 8 book.

The storybook templates are under the section centerstage books and they all come in one size.
If you click the link to view all products you will find that section.

The Photobook product is great I created his First Christmas story with all his pictures.

Thanks, Mela1. I ordered the autobiography of A.A. Milne to see if it mentions how he learned to read so young. His parents were London schoolteachers. I will let you know if I find out. There are 2 Winnie the Pooh books and the short stories you usually see are adaptions of those books. They are similar but not quite as great.

I love the shutterfly idea. I will look more into that this weekend.

Great job reading to your baby. What a wonderful way to get him to love reading.

Yes, I really wanted to use Mother Goose, but did not for that very reason :slight_smile: But this one is wonderful, my girl loves it, and is asking for more and more, she even knows some of the rhymes by heart. I also really like the illustrations, as they have lots of details and they build on the story continuity, and my girl can look at them for a long time after webbed together and then she re-tells the story. Which is an added feature in itself. The only minus is that Marjorie Decker’s book is difficult to find and it can be pretty pricey.

I can’t wait to see it. I ordered a used copy from Amazon for a few dollars. There were no options to look inside the book so I am eagerly anticipating its arrival. I love Mother Goose and poetry in general so to have it with a theme based on our faith is even better. I really appreciate you sharing this with me. :smiley:

We live out of town and our library is only open a couple of days a week so I don’t get there too often, but I did manage to get there today:)

K is reading to me: My Dog Talks, Bubble Trouble, Bubble Gum in the Sky, No Way and Hilda must be Dancing

I am reading her: the Usborne Little Encyclopedia of Space and Planet Earth

This week we grab some priddybooks’ to read like:
rusty robot
alien al
dizzy dragon
charlie monkey
love at the zoo
haunted house

some baby einstein’s baby da vinci my body,
scholastic’s big trucks in action,
dalmation press’ everything I know about the potty,
little plumpkins hide and seek
bun bun, the middle one
the reason for the pelican
the whistle on thetrain, pop-up book
the r eal mother goose-classic animal rhymes

in the car she has some staple books: the three little kittens, and winnie the pooh’s series.
in the bathroom: baby einstein’s mimi’s toes, a washcloth book:colin the crocodile

I always want her to read certain books more but ended up giving her whatever she likes to read. She can read books with a word per page well but for those with many words in paragraphs etc, she only points and read the word she knows lol

Thanks for sharing. I haven’t read any of those. Are any your favorites that you would recommend? I am always looking for good books that we haven’t read.

Hi,
We buy children’s books from Saver’s for .69 each. Yesterday we bought:

I Love You Through and Through

Little Bear’s Visit (Great read for my 6 yr old)

I Love Hugs by Lara Jones (I like this one and it’s easy for my 4yr old too)

Mommy Loves Me

Hooray, It’s Easter

Where’s Pooh (Disney)

Frosty The Snow Man retold by Annie North Bedford

Brush your teeth please (Very cute pop up book)

Michelangelo by Mike Venezia

I Love You When…

A Scholastic Skills Book- Using The Dictionary

My First Book (Great one word book for baby)

Find The Duck

Enjoy!!

Blaise is reading:
To me: Mary on horseback
To his Nanny: The bird woman of the Lewis and Clark Expidition
With me: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
By himself at bedtime: The llamma who had no pajammas and 100 other favortie poems, a variety of Nate the great and jigsaw jones type
books
To his little Brother: A Mother goose compendium
I am reading to my 18month old:
I love you through and through
A doctor Seuss ABC book
One fish two fish
Pajamma time

Thanks everyone for sharing. I love The Llama Who Had No Pajama. My favorite poem in there is about the frog. I can’t remember what it is called, something like Higgeldy Pop. I should buy that book of poems because they are really good. HAve you read her book A House is a House For Me? That is one of m y very favorite books.

The Littlest Dragon (Collins Yellow Storybook)

The Usborne First Encyclopedia of Science

Two by Two and a Half (Picture book)

Sleep Tight Ginger Kitten

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (just a short bit at night)

Puppy Prizes

I’ve forgotten a good many of the other shorter ones we have been reading :slight_smile: She is reading book 4b of Ladybird Key Words as we took a break from reading for her for a short while recently.

Happy Earth Day!!

We have been reading:

Poems about Earth
“A collection of poetry for elementary students about the science of Earth, including periodic elements, hibernation, plate tectonics, and more”–Provided by publisher.

Sir Cumference And the Isle of Immeter
In an adventurous tale that teaches math skills such as finding the area and perimeter of a rectangle and a circle, young Per must figure out how to unlock the secrets of the mysterious island

Poems about Air (next week)
Poems about Water(the following week)

HI Skylark,

I just want to thank you so much for the recommendation for The Christian Mother Goose. Surprisingly, I have never heard of it. It just came in today and I LOVE IT!!! I have been scanning the pages and reading them aloud to my kids. I love that it teaches Godly values in rhyme. Anyone who has the MonkiSee DVDs knows I like poetry. :slight_smile: I can tell this will be a favorite, so thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are welcome ! :slight_smile: We love it too, one of my girl’s favorite is Nothing-Impossible-Possum and Little Lucy Lady Bug.

This is one of the books she brings every evening to me to read from. So glad you like it.