We are starting to use right brain education to our son

Hi all,

There is another right brain method which i’m starting my 2 yr old son in July. It’s called the shichida method. Like what teresa has explained, it too boasts remarkable improvements in children who have followed their method loyaly for at least 2 years.

The basic concepts taught include:
Memory linking
Spatial recognition
Dot cards
Flash Cards etc

I’ll let you know more once i’ve started the lessons… :tongue2:

Hi anushyam

We would love to hear about your experiences at the Shichida Academy! As there are only courses in Japan, Malaysia and Singapore - and the academy does not release specific information about its lessons - it is hard to pinpoint the details of the Shichida Method from a distance.

Also, I would love to know how your son takes to the lessons.

I found this funny video of a child’s first day at the Shichida Academy - thought you all might enjoy it :tongue:

Maddy

PS Refresh the page if it doesn’t work first time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=St2Y9mGz6zA

Hi anushyam,

Are you taking your son to class or are you teaching him at home (If this is the case, where did you get the materials?)?

Are the flash cards similar to those of Doman?

Yes, it would be great to know how the Shichida Method goes! Please share with us about your son’s progress!

Teresa

Hi teresa, maddy,

I’m going to take my kid to classes held at the Shichida acadamy. It only starts in July but i did some extensive research before enrolling him. You are right to say that there is very limited materials and info regarding this method. Here’s what I gathered about the syllabus.

Flash Cards – similar to what is done at Little readers cat files

Math dot cards – similar to doman mthd (i.e. don’t teach kids numerals but teach them quantity recognition through dots). They also have this 65 day math program which i don’t know much about. i’ll have to go and see what it is.

Linking memory – this is a series of picture cards narrated with a very funny non-logical story. The kids can say the pic cards in sequence after a few repetitions.

Memory games – they show the child a picture of a geometric drawing. Say a orange circle inside a grey rectangle. After looking at it for 1 sec, the child is given a similar drawing but without the colors. Child is supposed to color the correct color in the blanks.

ESP-- kids can sense what picture is behind the card!! This i’ve got to see to belive! :biggrin:

Spatial recognition— arranging a 3-D model with irregular blocks…something like tetris only in the 3D way.

Hope this helps… :smiley:

Hi Anushyam,
May I know where is the centre located? I did make some search regarding shicade program and found out that it is quite expensive, like RM1600 per month??? is it true?

Best regards,
Wai Leng

wow, very interesting!!! This right brain method is a bit different from Doman’s and Tweedlewinks’. Keep us posted!

Teresa

Yes indeed…It’s very very expensive!! :frowning:

I’m forking out almost S$800 per month for four 1hr class/month!! My centre is in S’pore but believe they do have centres in M’sia.

Hi all,
From my reading through the net, Schicida (sorry, I might mispelled) method is likely the same as Doman. It makes full use of flashcards to develop “photographic memory” in baby’s brain. Somehow, I really need to dig this out, but then I hardly find time to surf. Kindly share.

Hi I m new to this forum and first of all would like to thanks to all of you for sharing such a wonderful experience.But actually i m confused from your discussion that sample reading is enough for right brain development or i have to buy there dvd’s.pls guide me in little more detail.and is it ok for my son coz his age is 2 yrs and he is very active and doesnt sit at 1 place.so he will be benefited if i purchase those dvd’s from twidle.pls guide people

Both Shichida and Doman use right-brain methods, but they’re not totally the same. Shichida goes into a lot of other stuff other than reading and math, including memory powers (using pegging and linking methods), imagination development, and even ESP (ie., sixth sense).

In addition, see if these help:
http://www.brillbaby.com/intelligence/experts/shichida.php
http://www.brillbaby.com/teaching/reading/rightbrainteach.php

Those of you using Little Reader, please also remember not to neglect the FLASH CARD MODE which is designed specifically for right-brain learning. See this post for how to make full use of it:
http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/tip-1-for-using-little-reader-flash-card-mode/

As mentioned, right brain development is much more than reading. I think Shichida courses (if you’re lucky enough to be in a place which has them and can afford it) probably does it the best. But the next best thing would be the Tweedlewink/Wink DVDs. Of course, ahem(!), Little Reader (and later, Little Math, Little Musician, etc.) can also help a little… :wink:

KL

Hi Sapna,

Nice to meet you at this forum! As KL said, right brain development has more than just reading but teaching kids to be able to read early will definitely increase their interests in learning/ reading. Other things such as math spots, foreign language and introducing perfect pitch using a tuning fork will also stimulate the right brain. Remember, our job is to give the right brain cells enough stimulations so that they will not die out without being used. Being able to read early is a fruit of these stimulations.

Take a look at the sample of that DVD (in previous post within this subject) and see if your son will like it. I bought it because it has a large varieties of learning information other than just reading. My 19 months old son still enjoy watching it and we are very glad about his recent development. I also download the Brillbaby flash cards to show to my kids - they love it too (especially the animal sounds!).

If you want to know more about right brain development, take a look at the articles from this web site. You can also purchase the TweedleWink Overview Course CD (that’s the teleseminar course that I got into in the first place) or read the free eBook from Right Brain Kids (again, in previous post. Let me know if you cannot find it!)

Teresa

Thanx a lot Teresa.But i want to take a teleseminar course.But can u pls guide me whether a course will help me more or a dvd.Because i cannot efford both.and would lke to know which will be more fruitful.

Sapna

Hi Sapna,

The teleseminar is a good resource for you but it will not help your son. The DVDs are the actual learning material that your son can benefit from. If I were you I would buy the DVDs (try the 4 lessons DVDs if you don’t want to invest in all 7 series!) and download the free ebook. :slight_smile:

Teresa

see my kid is very hyperactive kind of actually i dont know how to catch hold his interest.i want to know whether teleseminar will help me to use the tricks to catch hold his interest or not?and even price bcoz they have not listed any price for teleseminar.

The teleseminar is $98.

Hi Sapna,

Thanks nhockaday! Yes, the teleseminar is $98. When I took it, it was a live teleseminar but I guess they are not offering it anymore. However, they do provide support for parents who have questions about the best way to use their products. I got emails from them from time to time featuring parents’ questions that we can learn something from.

If your boy is hyperactive, let him see the sample first and see if he likes it. There may be some sections where he doesn’t want to pay attention to but that’s okay. You don’t want to force him to it. Watch it with him together and he will appreciate the time you spend with him. :stuck_out_tongue:

Teresa

They are catered to young children. They have rapid flashcards and words to keep the child’s attention. I’d say if your child likes Little Reader then he will like Tweedlewink. Read the ebook and the posts that Teresa posted; they helped me! And remember, they recommend you holding your child and thinking positive thoughts when you’re playing the dvds. They also say it’s ok if your child isn’t paying attantion the whole time. They still pick up on the lessons. Just find a time when he is settled down, like before bed so he will turn more attention to the dvds.

Hi nhockaday,

So you got the DVDs already? How does Gabriel like it?

Would be interested to know any interesting observation that you find on him in a month or so!

Teresa

Yes, he is on his 5th lesson and 5th math lesson now. I show them to him once a day for 3 days before moving on. I also played the foreign language one while he was in his jumper so he could hear the different languages. He seems to like them pretty well, and if he is in the right mood, he will watch the whole thing w/out looking away. Thank you for recommending them. :slight_smile:

Thanx a lot for rvrything to all of you.