Speed-reading & Reading Update Vids of Cammie

Cammie has been showing signs of speed reading but we never paid special attention to it. Sometimes she would flip through a book so fast then tell me she’s done reading it. I would ask her questions about the book and she will know the answer. But not until she’s 3yrs and a 1month old, out of curiosity that I decided to “prove” it. I flashed a page of a random book to her and she recited the sentence/s back to me. I did this with a new book she got for Christmas and one more time with a random book in a bookstore (just in case she had just memorized her old books) and she read it back just as fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM0NkYTMEDk&feature=youtu.be

In here, she read aloud a new book, taken a month after her 3rd bday. She’s been speed-reading so much that I have to re-take the video 3-times because she’s reciting the words so fast. To make her slow down, I told her to “read to me” instead of reading aloud hence the “fillers” in her reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-eSkXLZH8&feature=youtu.be

Here’s her latest video taken last month (she’s turning 3yo 3mos). It’s her first time to see this e-book, not even a glance. She still “hurries” to read but is getting comfortable reading aloud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkFgXf_tVSM&feature=youtu.be

Question: Would you encourage reading aloud more or focus on honing speed-reading instead?

Amazing, nadia0801! :yes: It’s great to see Cammie’s new videos! Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

I am actually in the same dilemma with Ella. The more I do right brain activities with her, the faster she is reading. And I noticed that, when reading aloud, she also tends to skip over articles and prepositions like “in,” “the,” “and,” etc. unless I specifically tell her to try and read aloud EVERY word. I finally decided to do different reading sessions with her at different times of the day. We would have a reading-aloud session where I would emphasize on reading aloud with proper enunciation of each word and using appropriate expressions in her voice, and a speed-reading session where I would let her read silently as fast as she can and then ask her questions to check her comprehension afterwards. Although I would prefer for her to hone speed-reading skills, I think learning to read aloud will be also be an important skill to have especially later when she starts going to school.

Having separate reading sessions for speed-reading and reading aloud is a great idea. Thanks Anna :slight_smile: I’ve read that “intelligent” reading doesn’t require one to read every single word so I guess skipping over the articles is a good thing? Not in reading aloud for sure! :slight_smile:

Perhaps you could consider making an appropriate climate for reading aloud. Since the whole point of reading is to gain information as well as entertainment speed reading is quite appropriate and you certainly don’t want to risk that skill. I am thinking doing plays, nursery rhymes, performances and reading stories to siblings, use situations that require full expression and clear speach. I am no expert but does anyone know if by encouraging slower reading in such young children you will turn on their internal reading voice? Just curious

The speed reading is amazing. How did she learn that? I would like to be able to read that fast. She is so cute - just absolutely precious.

Thanks Krista G. :slight_smile: Tweedlewink dvd’s are the only ones that has speed-reading lessons that she’s been exposed to.

On a different note, I just remembered now that whenever she’s watching videos on the ipad, she would “speed-play” it until the voices becomes “chipmunk-like”. I thought she was just playing but maybe it’s because she likes to “speed-watch” it? There’s a learning dvd that teach in this way. The lessons are fast and the audio is also fast, almost like a chipmunk’s.

I just want the both of you to know that I’ve learned a TON from you, and I’ll be super happy if I can duplicate even a percentage of your success. The video of Cam reading the sentence off her visual memory is just impressive as can be. Anyway, just wanted to say thank you!

Thanks for the kind words PokerDad. You must be so excited for your baby. I remembered when I found out about early learning, I could not wait for Cammie to be born so we could start already. lol

wowww… Cammie is excellence! How did you do that mummy? You must be very proud of your good work…hee… My kid is 2yo… can you share your experience how to train him for speed ready? I hope my kid will be as Cammie, she is soooo cute ya:)

I love it!! Thank you for sharing the inspiration :smiley: You know, so often the biggest hurdle is realizing what CAN be possible and breaking through the belief system that capped our imaginations into thinking that “it’s not possible” - I love how the boundaries of what’s possible change. Your links were fabulous and so true - consistency and joy really are the keys.

Hi Nadia,
Thx for your info. U did mention that Tweedlewink DVDs are the only ones that expose speed reading & so you use all the DVDs ? At what age Cammie started with the DVDs ?
My girl is 16 m/o now & has been on LR, LM& LC for 4 months +.
I sometimes noticed her flip through the Bible
like speed reading,but I am not sure !
Maybe you can share more info how else you train her ?  :yes:

Little Cammie is phenomenal!
I loved watching her videos. Thanks for sharing! She is such an inspriation :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great suggestions Mandabplus3 :smiley: She is doing plays and performances of imaginary characters. lol Though the script / conversation between her invented characters are completely impromptu. I believe doing plays with a ready script that she would read aloud would really interest her. I’ll get on with it right away! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the heart-warming words everyone. It lifts my spirits to hear such nice words. I need them badly right now because support and encouragement is rare from our “traditional” relatives.

@ babymum & Latreia, I wish I could say we did training for speed-reading but we really didn’t. Yes we’ve finished with Tweedlewink and is still going through them again for the nth time. I believe they’re beneficial in developing the right brain until age 4.

I’m no expert but I think being able to read phonetically early on is a big factor for speed-reading. I think a child needs to master sight words first then master reading phonetically, and only then he can progress into speed-reading. If one halts to figure-out how to read a word, that in itself would create pause/s that counteracts speed-reading. Since Tweedlewink is the only program we used (since 6-mos old?) that has speed-reading practices, I believe we can attribute her skill to it. It also has “eye exercises” that trains the eye to move fast.

That is truly amazing. What a great endorsement for their product! Twiddle wink works here is yet more proof! :slight_smile: I think it is just amazing what she can do.
If I had seen this video even two weeks ago I would have wondered at the hours you spent teaching her this…but now after just a couple of weeks plaing with mandalas with my kids I can see they can pick up these advanced right brain skills (speed ring, photographic memory) very quickly! You have inspired me to add more right brain training to my kids play time :wink: it was the book flash reading that did it. That is photographic memory at work and I saw yesterday my middle child is starting to pick up that skill. I bet your girl could remember every colour in a hot air balloon if you flashed one to her!
Relatives can be the harshest critics. I get it all the time from my family on both sides ( and often their father) but guess who is the quickest to claim bragging rights when they win awards or get a dux trophy! I know I do the right thing by my kids and that’s enough to keep me going. You daughter looks happy playing these advanced games I bet she will thank you for it many times in the years to come.
I have a picture in my head of your daughter setting up all her dollys for a play and reading every script for each of them in a different voice! Lol the “Very Hungry Caterpillar” has a fun play version, my daughter loved it.

That’s terrific Mandabplus3! :smiley: Keep me updated with their progress, especially on right-brain training :slight_smile: I myself was skeptical about this training before but when we did them and had so much fun, I knew it’s more than worth the time!

Just last night we started with Memory Magic. I thought it would be too advanced for her but it was an immediate hit! I haven’t even read how to use them and just popped it up for her. The Memory Linking game is so engaging! I find myself playing along with her. At first run, she can remember 8 items consecutively and then 16, then 20 consecutive items before we went to sleep. If you haven’t tried Memory Magic yet, I suggest you give it a go. Tweedlewink is great but is not very interactive, probably because it’s for soaking-up information. Getting our hands on Memory Magic’s games gave us results in a minute’s time! I’ll try to record the game on video next time.

Oh goody I am glad you like it I ordered all their games as soon as I saw the mandala were working. I am waiting for the postman to deliver! Ps people don’t forget your brill kids discount when ordering memory magic :wink: I tried the memory linking game myself and was amazed at what I could remember. Basically the game I played involved walking through your house and putting objects in silly places ( mentally of course not physically!) then a day or three later close your eyes and recall as many objects as possible. I got 19 out of 20! figured I should use it for my shopping list…because I always forget to take it with me lol
I will post the results, it will be amazing to see what your daughter does with these tools. I can imagine 100 objects sequentially will be easy for her soon.
My aim was to help my oldest “notice” the instructions on her school work…now I think I am aiming way too low! lol

Thanks for reminding me about Memory Magic! We have had it for ages but I also thought it would be too advanced for Ella. :wub: I was waiting until we finished the Wink materials and Photographic Memory games to start it. I think I will take it out again and try it with her to see if she likes it too!

Thanks! :smiley:

Cammie’s progress makes me confident in home teaching now. May i ask is the tweedlewink dvds is not too late for 2yrs old?
Can anyone advise what are the right brain training that i can use it for my kid? Whats Mandala? How to play? What other resource for right brain training? Is there any useful resource in the web?

Thanks Thanks everyone… i feel very enthusiastic to start to train my kid now after seeing Cammie’s video. Thank you Cammie’s mummy!

Check out the recent post on free mandala printouts, it will still be in the left hand list page 2 or 3 :slight_smile: for that answer.
I am on the wrong tech divice to post a link but there is a long conversation about twiddle wink on the forum, use the search feature ( or some friendly person may post the link for us :wink: ) tweedle wink is PERFECT for a two year old. I wish my son was a bit younger LOL he is 4 at the upper end of it’s usefulness, it’s a lot of money to spend for a maybe in my case, I wish my local library had a few for us to try out :frowning: big library, probabaly the third biggest in Australia, and no luck I’ll put in a purchase request so other mums can benefit later. Also google tweedle wink and you will get their website, it takes a bit of reading to figure it out. But basically your best bet is to start with showing your bub their videos. You can redeem some brillkids points for a discount ( still looking for that button!) it will give you a code to type into their website.
Have you tried anything with your kiddy yet? We could give you more specific advice if we had more info, are you just beginning?