Shichida Parents - Choosing a Math Program?

Hi MNA,

My older son is 4 years plus and I still do flash cards for him. He has his moods - good days and bad days, so we go by that. I’m not sure what you mean by “child seems to memorise the word and pronouce it the phonectis way”. Is there a problem with that? To be honest, I’m not really sure how my son is reading. He knows a bit of phonics and I know he also memorises the words but he can read from a variety of sources so he does recognise the words.

There are a lot of free powerpoint slides available. Probably more than they have LR files. But that’s what I meant - they aren’t standardised so it depends on whether the format suits you and your child.

I have noticed some people selling their TW DVDs on the forum - have you tried them? I’m afraid I don’t know of anyone else off hand.

Hi Shenli,

Was reading my thread again, made lots of mistake. Sorry I was rushing the last time.

I have been told that, with little reader , the child just memorise the word, but does not learn to pronounce it the phonectic way . I am just concern that , my gal will start memorising the words , and later when phonectics is introduce in her school , she will be mix up ( the indian schooling system uses phonectic)

With Doman flashcards , they also learn to memorise it right ? So i am thinking , since I am living in India now , I should follow the phonectic way.

I have been trying for tweedle wink dvd preuse , but hard to find it . The whole set is about RM 1300 from tweedle wink .

Hi MNA - ah okay. Yes, Doman method and LR teach whole word. LR also does some phonics. TW teaches both - phonics and whole word. My son does know a bit of phonics. He learned a bit here and there. He loves WordWorld which teaches phonics. I have also heard lots of good things about Leapfrog DVDs (can’t find them here, though - maybe in Singapore). Other than that, we do work books. We’re currently working on Brain Quest which also teaches phonics. I think you can easily supplement phonics. You can find BrainQuest here at most of the bookstores. Borders was having a promotion but I don’t know if it is still on.

The quickest way to get your child reading is through the whole word method. But supplementing with phonics will help with words they don’t recognise. It is said that the whole word method is intuitive as in they can still learn how to read new words they have never seen before. Hard for me to validate that because we use so many different methods with my son and I don’t really know how heavily he relies on word recognition versus phonics. Personally, though, I think if your daughter already has a foundation for reading (even if it is the whole word method), she should find it easier to follow the phonics method when it is introduced to her later in school. She will be looking at words she already knows and learning about why they are pronounced the way they are and that should make it easier for her. At least that’s what I think.

Thks Shenli, your input has broaden my perspective . thks