Shichida Parents - Choosing a Math Program?

hi mna,
you have rishi gurukulam who follow right brain education too… they take ISP, infant siddha programme for parents. may be you can contact them for your daughter’s school…
good luck,
vani

TmT - Thanks for the link to Shichida maths in LM, will download once I decide to get LM. In the meantime, will look at ShenLi’s link.

ShenLi - Thanks for the link to the Shichida maths on your blog. I will download it. I also need to look into other maths programs to use after this. Will return to your blog for some advice.

I do agree with Mela Bala - a foundation in Math with a program like Little Math is a great way to get started. I am assuming your focus is on Math? I have heard about Jones Geniuses and it certainly sounds like a good follow up program once you’ve gotten through LM. However, before you get LM, download the trial version and see how your daughter responds to it. At 2.5, my older son was quite resistent to flash cards so it is best to see how she responds to it. Personally, after getting through LM, I am leaning towards a program like Math Secret for my son. It is a mental math program using soroban (the Japanese abacus). This is a great right brain math program because it uses imaging to calculate math equations in your head.

As for right brain programs, I like the TweedleWink programs because they are easy to use. I pop into the DVD player and I cuddle and nurse my son while we watch it together. My younger son loves the DVDs and will go to the drawer and take them out for me to put into the DVD player. My older son was hot and cold. There were times when he wanted to watch it and then there were times when he didn’t want to watch it. You can go to the TweedleWink center to buy them directly.

Other right brain materials… The primary activity for right brain development is reading. Read to your child as many books as you can. Use a lively voice and lots of expression. The second activity is flash cards - as many as you can and as quickly as you can. Flash each set four times and retire. The third activity should be a memory game - like linking memory (TweedleWink has one called the Memory train which can also be purchased; the other is Shichida, but you will need a mother who is a member to buy it for you, alternatively, you can make your own). I have some resources for linking memory here:

http://www.figur8.net/linking-memory-flash-cards/

Other memory games you can play are space memory and mandala:

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/08/08/right-brain-activities-for-home-practice-part-6-memory-grid/

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/08/02/right-brain-activities-for-home-practice-part-4-mandala/

There is a list of right brain activities you can do with your daughter here:

http://www.figur8.net/right-brain-training-home-practice-guide/

A lot of it you can make on your own. I hope that helps.

Wow, Shen Li you and the other have given me so much perils of wisdom on this right brain stuff .thank you so much.

i went thru math secret and it looks interesting . but to begin my gal’s math foundation , is little math a better or math secret ?

also saw rightbraineducationshop online flash card , it’s good but , the problem in india is that, sometimes the network connectivity is so slow , takes a long time to up load. is there a software , like little reader , for just flashcard which i can buy in kl? so that if the internet is down , i still have it in my comp.

shen li you doing such a good work , on your blog , thks for giving mother like me the oppurtunity to reach right brain thru your ideas.

hi shenli, it was just a day before that i was preparing the linking memory ppt , but thanks to brillkids and you, for the links you provided. Saved me a lot of time… thanx…

I just wanted to say that ShenLi, you are amazingly resourceful with the memory games & training. You helped me understand some of it better, thank you for sharing on your blog. You rock. :smiley:

Now, I just need to do a better job of adding it into our curriculum! :yes:

MNA - you mentioned your daughter is 3? If she is receptive to Little Math, I would definitely do Little Math first. If you do purchase LM, you can also download additional LM flashcards from BrillKids that are created by other parents. These are free but you need the LM software to play them. Just to be clear, there are different resources available in the free resources section of BrillKids - the power point flash cards, which anyone can use as long as they have PowerPoint - and there are LM and LR (Little Reader) flash cards which require LM and LR software to play.

If you get LM, search for Shichida 65 Day Math program by Agnes and download those flash cards for your LM program. That is another right brain math program you can do with your daughter. You can also create the flash cards yourself and follow the program outline here:

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/08/22/how-to-teach-math-using-shichidas-65-day-program/

You can also try the Math Secret workbooks with your daughter which will help her to build the foundation in readiness for the Math Secret program. Also search for Chris’ Soroban flash cards in the BrillKids free download section. It will help your daughter learn how to count using the Soroban abacus - for if you do decide to teach her Math Secret or Anzan later.

Definitely look for Baby Brain flashcards. So sorry, I made a mistake in the other post. They are available at Speedy and Rock Corner (not Video Ezy). But I find not all the volumes are available at every store, so you may need to pop into a few of their branches if you want to collect the entire set. The latest one I saw was Volume 4.

As for other flashcards… I’m sure there are others around. The problem you may encounter by buying from too many different sources is repetition. Everyone covers the same subjects - animals, colours, shapes, etc. What you want is a large variety of subjects. That’s why the BrillKids free resources site is a good one to raid. That’s why I didn’t get the Baby Brain flashcards, they covered stuff I already had.

If you have a smart phone, you can look for flash card apps. Not ideal since the screen is small. The other alternative is iPad flash card apps.

Vanichezhiyan - I have more linking memory ppt I have prepared but have not uploaded them yet. We stopped for a while because my son got bored of doing them, but he’s back to it again, so now I have created some more. I will upload them soon.

TMT - my pleasure. I have been avidly studying Right Brain education as taught by Makoto Shichida and Heguru and these are all activities done in right brain classes and recommended for home practice.

shenli, thanks for the info. what’s the difference between MathSecret and RightStar? Both are using abacus right? thanks

I am not very familiar with Rightstart, but I think the main difference is the abacus. MathSecret uses the Japanese abacus called Soroban. Rightstart abacus is called the AL abacus where each row is divided into two colours. I don’t know enough about it to comment further, but perhaps it’s time I look further into it…

Hi friend and Shenli

Just need your opinion here. Do you prefer physical flashcard or e-flash for your kids. They say u have to flash really fast , and my card seems to be falling all away the place . So I am really inclined toward e-flash card , like the one from rightbraineducationshop.com

Plus I don’t know how do people manage making physical flashcard . But then again don’t want my daugther to be infront of the comp the whole day. What do you and the other do ? thks

mna, it really depends on your child. Like my baby is 5 months old now and don’t like to view PowerPoint presentation from computer, she is not interested to look at the computer at all. She also don’t like to look at tv. So I decided to flash cards to her and she seems more interested to look at them. I know some children prefer to learn from computer. What is your bb’s response? Maybe you can try both then see how it goes?

Re: How to make your own cards? You can print from LR directly or free powerpoint uploaded by the members here. There are a lot of sources available here. Or you can go to YouTube to search for ‘baby reading’ and you can use their ideas on how to make their cards.

Hi friends,

Yes my daugther who is 3 now , loves anything to do with the comp. And I am also more inclined toward e-flash , because of it’s simplicity in flashing fast.

Shenli- Thank you so much for your inputs on the math parth. I am now going with your suggestion of getting Little math, and once next step would be 65 day schichida math card. Once I am done with that , then will move on to Math secret. I like your idea of making her doing the math secret workbooks before doing the math secret… Do this sounds good to begin with ?

Also try to find the baby brain dvd, and just so share have discovered a site called http://wateringcan.webs.com/flashcards.htm

which is based in Bandar utama , and they sell pyscial flash card.

MNA - I prefer digital flash cards for the following reasons:

1. I use a lot of flashcards and we retire them very quickly so it is easier to go digital. Also kinder to the environment, I feel.
  2. I like to cuddle and nurse my son while I show him the flashcards (my older son sits on my lap).
  3. Both my sons love the computer and stay interested longer than if I were to use physical cards.
  4. It is much easier to flash quickly on the computer. I’m very clumsy with physical cards.

That’s the plan I’m working with - LM, Shichida 65 Day, and Math Secret workbooks. We haven’t started with the Math Secret workbooks but I have ordered them already.

Thanks for the link! That’s the other reason why I am not keen to do physical cards - very time consuming to make!

Hi Shenli,

Sorry for the late reply, was in Singapore. After reading your reply ,I have decided to go the e-flashcard way , so I am looking for all the possible dvd I can get from Singapore and kl . I am still looking for the baby brain flashcard , dvd u suggested . I visited tweedle wink , the dvd seems to be very expensive . Do you know of any other dvd in malaysia ? thks for always helping

Halo

I’m just wondering what is the secret math books you mentioned? can share?

MNA - Did you try looking for Baby Brain DVDs in Speedy and Rock Corner? They have four volumes in English and Chinese. Only Rm20 or 25 per DVD.

Speedy is in Midvalley (lowerground near centercourt), Ikano (Ground floor near Cold Storage), 1Utama (lowerground near the connection to the old wing), Pavillion (lowerground near the entrance to the food court).

Rock Corner is in The Gardens (Level 3), The Curve (Ground floor in the row of shops between Coffee Bean and McDonald’s), Bangsar Village (First Floor).

Your best bet is to try Ikano/The Curve first. I remember seeing them there last.

Vikikool - Math Secret workbooks are here:

http://ecommerce.mathsecret.net/products-page/books/

Shen Li,

Thank u so much , u took the time even spell out the the places for me . I am going to hunt it this weekend .

thks

Shenli,

Just had a quick question. I got the glenn doman flashcard kit from my sister. And also have a lot of victoria reader’s phonic material. So really don’t need the little reader , but I am thinking of getting it, so that I can use it for downloading the flashcard ? or are there enough power point flashcard which I can download from brill kids.

I have already bought the little math . But I don’t want to overwhelm my self with too many stuff. Would appreciate your feedback.

MNA - No problem. I also started with the Doman flashcard reading kit but eventually ended up getting BrillKids LR. Why I liked LR is because my younger son was 3 months when I started Doman flashcards with him and I realised a lot of words were of things he had never seen before. LR has pictures so he can put meaning to the words.

You can find a lot of flashcards from the BrillKids resource site. My only gripe is that there is no standardisation. Because it is done by different parents who all have their own way of doing things, you can find yourself downloading stuff that doesn’t suit your style. But if you don’t mind taking the time to sort through the files, then I’m sure you can find just about everything you need there.

Hi Shenli,

Did manage to buy the baby brain dvd from speedy. thks for that.

I read a few reviews that with little reader , the child seems to memorise the word and pronouce it the phonectis way. I have a lot phonectic material from little reader , so don’t should i get the little reader . but again how do you really get to download a lot flash frm little reader sectior. or is the free power point slideshow sufficient ?

also my daughter is 3 yr now , just go the doman flash kit frm , should i use it , or she is too old for it now ?

how are baby bit dvd for the flashcard part of it. and do you where can i get second hand tweedle wink dvd . trying to get everything before i leave for india/