She is reading!!!

My daughter just read her first word today! :biggrin: And I’m not talking about memorizing flash cards of words she has heard me repeat several times. This is a new word that, to my knowledge, she had never heard before. She walked up to the TV and while reaching for the “Samsung” logo said “sams.” I’m wondering if I should start doing some phonics with her now.

Congratulations! Mind sharing your approach in getting her to read? I’ve started LR with my 1 yr old and is keen on finding out if it’s effective.

Wow! My 12month old loves looking at her books and always points out words on boxes but still isnt talking so no idea if she is taking any of it in. Great work and keep it up. Its a good feeling knowing that we are helping our children learn.

Congratulations, How exciting. It sounds though your very bright little girl has worked out the rule of phonics for herself, but i guess teaching a little phonics wont hurt. You can never be too good at english.

Wow fabulous! :biggrin:

I started teaching my toddler phonics.

Great what a sweet surprise from your baby …

That’s great! :slight_smile:

Forgive me, I’m new to this site. HOW did you do that?

[font=Verdana][color=blue]:slight_smile: Congrats!
I say continue what you have been doing and you will see when she’s ready. Just take it one day at a time.
Charmain

What a wonderful surprise :slight_smile:

wow she is gret :smiley:

Congrats!! You must be sooo happy :slight_smile: Keep up the great work!!

My twins, almost 18 mo old now, are very different from each other. It has been interesting to watch their parallel development and how they have gone in different directions. They are just into different things, and their individual interests have really helped them refine different skills. My boy is very kinesthetic and is usually throwing, running or climbing. We call him spider monkey. He destroys his toys & books and is very good at getting into very dangerous situations. He is very innovative in how he uses toys too; everything has become a stepping stool. He will stack things up and stand on them to reach higher and climb. Even a doll can be dangerous when it is used like that. So I have the choice to strip his environment of anything enriching, or let him get into danger and hope he will learn his limits before there is a really bad accident. So while his sister was reading the “Samsung” logo yesterday he was doing his thing which impressed me as much as it scared me. He balanced on top of a ball (bellybutton height) and used it as a step to climb up onto a window seat. If the ball hadn’t been available he would have found some other tool to climb up there.
It’s similar with my daughter, except instead of climbing she is into language. She is constantly practicing talking, signing, even in the middle of the night. :rolleyes: One of her favorite things to do is to bring me as many books as she can carry then sit on my lap while I read or she points to pictures and I tell her what it is. I really think that she would have read no matter which tool we provided her. It’s just what she spends her time on.
As for as my son reading, I’m really not concerned that he is not as advanced as she is. I know that when he decides it is time he will be reading. Until then I try to expose him to written language in ways he will be receptive. For now we have settled on a combination of flashcards with ASL in a YBCR multisensory style, only a live performance staring Mom & Dad. Some days is really into it, others he isn’t. But is actually becoming more attentive as he gets older.
Along the way we have tried the following:
• Baby Signing Time & Signing Time (we still watch these if I need the distraction)
• YBCR (we only watched for a couple weeks because I couldn’t listen to the out of tune singing anymore)
• Flashcards (love these because they are easy to prepare)
• PowerPoint presentations (I really don’t have the time)
• Following with my finger as I read a book (my daughter likes this my son doesn’t)
I guess we just tried lots of things until we found what works best for everyone, and I’m sure this will change again before we are done.
Something else I would like to bring up. The day before my daughter read her first word, I found an ABC’s book. We must have gone through that book 20 times. I was expecting her to point to the pictures like she usually does, but she started pointing to the letters asking what they were. I told her the names of the letters then she just read her first word. She is also pointing to words today as well as pictures and letters.

Thanks for all your support!

Hi sdrake79,
Babies are amazing little people that possess genius beyond what most adults give them credit for. They have the ability to learn written language at the same time they learn spoken language. The reason why most babies don’t learn to read is because adults don’t believe they can and therefore don’t try to teach them. The key to getting them to read is simple, just expose them to written language in such a way that they take notice.
Here is a link where you can read about different methods used to teach babies to written language.
http://www.brillbaby.com/teach-baby/reading.php

mooncake2,
If I didn’t answer your question in my previous post or you would like to know more details about my methods let me know. My kids loved the powerpoint slide shows but I was overwhelmed trying to shuffle them and make new slides etc. It’s really not optimized for this kind of use. I’m sure LR works great; I might not have given up on slide shows if I had it. I’m just trying to save up to buy LM right now, and can’t afford LR also.

Good job! Congrats! Keep us updated on her progress! :slight_smile:

Congratulations! I can feel how proud you are for your children! You really should be!
I think my daughter is near there too, I have had several similar situations when she would say part of a written word, but i always thought no no it must be an accident. I guess I still can’t believe that they do learn so fast :slight_smile: and I am very afraid of testing her, I tried to put two cards in front of her and ask which one says let’s say “monkey”, but she would just pick up both, or start turning them to see pictures, but wouldn’t point or say it, or do something else as if she know that i am trying to test her. Although she wouldn’t do it with red dots, she loves them and does point to the one which has the amount i tell her, only up to 10 so far though.
anyway, just wanted to congratulate you on the grear achievement!
regards, leana

Wow that’s so cute.congratulations. :smiley:

congrats!!! :yes:

good for her
when you start to teach her ? how old is she ?
i start 3 month ago i i think my 2 years daughter can now recognize word s that she like when i read a story for her .but is it true that i need 6 month to see the result ?

There is no exact time you need to wait, but you should be sure you have given her a lot first, before you ask for something back. Set up a multiple choice session and ask her to choose a certain word if you want to.