Results

I read a post yesterday about a dolch sight words dvd that a forum member gave a review on and I became very interested in buying it for my two youngest. Well before taking that step I thought I would print all of them out to see whether or not I needed to buy it. While the oldest of the two was at school I showed them to the baby and to my surprise he knew them all. I know that he learned the words at different times throughout the months since I began teaching, but I rarely test him and haven’t in a long time so I wasn’t sure. Before taking my daughter to school this morning (I wasn’t able to do the program with her and just recently started this past year) she asked if she could read the words too. She read most of the words, but if there was one she didn’t know you could see the baby looking at the card and saying the word that was written for her :laugh: Kids are truly amazing :slight_smile:

My daughter is now 20 months old and her reading has progressed quite rapidly due to her speech improving - she is now saying at least 50 different single words per day and uses a few phrases and this is coming out in her reading - she will now point to words and say them, but will not read full sentences yet - probably because she does not speak in sentences.

She has started counting though usually only after copying us, but will answer questions usually correctly about numbers (How old are you - one, how many eyes do you have - two, how many fish do we have - three (here she sometimes says two though)) She does seem to use two to mean multiple at times though - if she doesn’t know exactly how many it is often just “two”

I have not had LR for a couple of months and am keen to start it back up again (we recently moved and had to put it on a new computer) but have been doing normal flash cards and making sentences daily for her to read. If she seems excited about something I will make a sentence about that - for example she wanted to run in the garden and was saying “run, run” so I made her a sentence with teh flashcards about her running and then we did the action - she likes that game a lot.

She has started reading words out of books now - I usually point to nouns she knows well (bed, Mummy, book etc) and she says them which means she is coping with much tinier print now. I have started showing her Ladybird book 1a as she does know all the words for it, but she is still too young to pronounce them all so I have put it away again til she is speaking better. We are also pointing out words all around her - in the shops, road signs, words on pamphlets and we use subtitles if she is watching a movie (which doesn’t happen often)

Thats about it for our update for now.

tot i just share this in here

Hi i found a better site and its in english you can try this site key in your age and the month of conception

Note. to be more accurate back test with your friends … but its abit difficult since i am male its hard for me to ask females their age and when they think they concieve … you can’t work back 9 mth from date of birth as there are pre mature births as there are late births … also the conception period due to ovulation only once every 21-35 days for woman the exact timing would highly dependent on when their ovulation is … it will be more accurate if it is in the middle of the stated month rather than towards the end of the month …

Finally because it is based on the chinese calendar … the chinese considers the age of the baby as 1 yr at birth instead of 1 yr after 12mth from birth … hence your age you may need to + 1 … however this site may have converted them to western calendar …

http://www.motherhood.com.sg/tools/gender.asp

It was accurate for my wife since she wanted a girl i tried to find all available knowledge on it … but we used the 99-100% method … in TCM, but nevertheless the moon chart was accurate too … so we increased our chances …

Good luck.

TQ v much trinity papa.
a karma for you. :wink:

Make your 7-year-old comprehend, not memorize

By Germelina Lising Salumbides
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines - Middle childhood, (seven to 12 years old) or ‘latency,’ was once thought to be uneventful in a child’s life. They were the ‘calm years’ before the ‘storm’ of adolescence.

Recently, middle childhood years are proven to be not so uneventful. In fact, the seven to 12 years span is considered critical in cognitive development.

Cognition is ‘knowing’ and the process of thinking. Psychologists cite important factors and critical structures in the thinking processes of the brain, which need to be developed in middle childhood. Unless these so-called ‘mental structures’ are developed, the child cannot go to the next stage of higher-level thinking - or what they call formal thought.

Many adults are still stuck in the thinking level of middle childhood. Many do not achieve high-level thought.

How does one get stuck?

Telling or lecturing is one of the most inefficient ways of teaching. Ralph Nickols (University of Minnesota) shows that people forget 50 percent of what they hear in the first two minutes. A United States Department of Health Education study reports that people retain only 10-25 percent of what they hear in a 30-day period.

What are the implications then to the seven-year-old when most of what he learns is told to him - especially in school? How effective is that learning?

A second grader was being tested to know how well he knew numbers. When asked which was greater, three or seven, he answered ‘Seven, of course.’ When prodded, he was asked, if seven is bigger than three, which is bigger, 1/3 or 1/7? He hesitated. In school, he was taught that 1/3 was bigger. Then he said, ‘I guess 1/7 is bigger than 1/3.’

Giving examples

A wise teacher once said, ‘My tests are all simple. I only have one question: Give me an example.’

The middle child should do precisely this in his learning. Give examples. Show me. Show me that 1/3 is indeed bigger than 1/7. In cognitive psychology, it is called concrete operations.

Telling and further drilling is precisely just that. Drilling. There is nothing wrong with drilling. In fact, many tutoring schools are based on that. Drilling develops greater facility in computations. Computation, however, is one of the lower forms of mathematical operations.

When a child gives examples - using concrete objects, popsicle sticks, stones, marbles - he not only begins to fully comprehend but can also begin to extend and expand his understanding. Number seven cannot be defined. It has to be experienced in many different ways - seven stones, seven candies, seven steps to my room, etc. But when I have to divide my pizza into seven pieces, my spaghetti into seven plates, I know I will get less than if there were only three pieces or three plates.

It will not serve the middle child well to learn to memorize multiplication tables and division tables and not fully understand basic number concepts. Memorization is just that. Memorization.

Comprehension is more important. And more lasting.

Concretizing logical mathematical concepts is what middle childhood is all about.

When your child has a number problem, ask him or her to show it to you. No need for fancy math toys - just everyday objects that are readily available.

Crucial to all this is one basic ingredient: enjoyment. Enjoy your child as you are working out numbers. Enjoy his or her answers as he or she is trying to work it out, even the wrong answers. Wrong answers are springboard for better understanding. Work out the problem together. This is not ‘tutoring’. This is discovering life together. And being the wiser and smarter for it.

Author is lecturer at Miriam College and consultant to Bridge School and Learning Tree.

Thanks a lot for the updating, it is a very useful information to us as a reference, Karma to you.

thank you and your welcome …

trinity is 1.5 yrs old and there is a tremendous word explosion … phew finally … she just suddenly sprout out lots of words … words that i tot she will not understand or respond too … and she copies what we say too …

words like, up, down, (pointing up and down too), sit, chair, table, door, gate, cup, water, banana, apple, and when she saw a pear she points to it and say pear at the supermarket just now, and she speaks soem words in another language too … in total i think it exceeds 50 words , and all this just started last last sat just before she turns 18mth … so-des-nei … i see what this word explosion means … cool … now i have to be careful what i say …hahaha …