Results

Secondly, how do you teach your baby to read in 2 or more language ?

Its abit harder …especially if they don’t have the same written language … what is that you say??

Well let me explain, chinese language in the written form was standardise some 2000++ yrs ago, but while the written language is the same, the spoken dialects are different. I think about …hmm sorry no idea at least 20 different chinese dialects i know off … but heard its something like 200… anyway … because its written the same way so its easier to express them by guessing …

The malay language is written using the english alphabets …though they are not english actually … so if you know your ABCs … you can guess the word using phonics to read malay … so if you speak and understands malay … you can learn to read and write malay if you know your english … the only problem is the child may have plenty of problems in spelling …

Yes if the written basic are the same, children will use phonics and try to spell, this results in wrong spelling and hence wrong answers and … this is where the gees of the thing comes in … we hope to teach our kids early so that they face less problems in school, but because of the similarities, it delayed and works to their disadvantage instead … instead of going to a good school they may be misunderstood and marginalised.

However, if you are learning say english and chinese or other language like say arabic which is a totally different form of written language … it would be harder to teach … well for a child but maybe not a baby … since the baby thru the right mind is thinking it is looking at a picture … so its good to flash those images into the right brain before 1. But after that the logic of teaching the written word, its pronounciation and its meaning … its where it gets harder … but the idea is to get the child familarize with the written language first, so that the mind when learning it, would easily accept it and not reject it simply because it looks foreign for the mind to decode … it would simply say, hey i saw this somewhere before and i remember my parents doing it with me and it was fun … and that builds their acceptance and willingness to learn it subsequently … and along the way be it 2 or 3 or 4 yrs old, its just a matter of reading and more reading and more familarizing till the school takes over … at least the gifted school takes over that is … the normal school would be abit slow for them …

hope this approach of thinking helps … and this is what i understand from GD and shichida books and what i think all along before i know about their books …

Kyles mom, i did maths equation with my girl and she did do the simple equations … i did not take a video of it unfortunately, as i am the only person doing everything … my wife is interested but …

A caution about teaching multiple language though, … i read in some research and it was also on utube… it was over a yr ago, before Brillkids… some US lectuerer on babies and thier language abilities… to teach them how to speak your language they need to see your mouth and listen to the word … otherwise the audio they hear, or if they just see your mouth but not hear the word, the word that they hear auditorily is different …

Some babies will treat it as background noise like white noise and falls asleep when listening to foreign language … especially when it is on disc or tv … especially if its monotonous dialouge without emphasizing its meaning …

For those interested in teaching music concept to their babies try this one i have been doing it for 1 yr now, sometimes repeated … print the file and flash them… and then download the files to play them … its a great site except its abit confusing that’s all … its for 0-2 or 3 yrs old before they learn to play the piano … you can call it music education early stage … it is the gap that you can use before using Helena’s doremisoft …

http://geenogee-early-learning-supplies.com/music_concepts_downloads.htm

You’ll need this to open the file …

http://www.finalemusic.com/store/search.aspx?p=3

It is the best method so far for me to teach my child music notes and theory and … to train her perfect pitch ability … oops the cat is out of the bag … i am no music guy, but those who are, can use this to their full advantage …

Thanks for the music link! :slight_smile:
It’s encouraging to hear that my efforts to speak the language to her when she was little are not wasted. :slight_smile:
However, I never spoke Russian to my second child, and he does better at my Russian classes now :wub:
I think a lot of it has to do with natural God given talents. When you have one kid you have nobody to compare with :blush: Not saying that she can’t learn, just harder for her…

You welcome …

Maybe when you were teaching your first child the second one was listening all the time … or that your oldest child was talking to her in russian … usually babys learn from babies faster …hahaha … hence why i choose slightly older babies in a playgroup for her to join … so that well … money sees monkey do … just hopefully the older ones are not the bad tempered or wild type … otherwise … :ohmy:

hi trinity papa,

thanks for your inspirational experience. and also for the link. :biggrin:

The second wasn’t born at the time :frowning:

Some takeaways from the DD talk

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/dd-hong-kong-take-away/new/#new

Hi Nikolett, must be esp … but then again you older child maybe teaching her by simple just talking to her …

ha ha
I think it’s a case of Nature vs. Nurture 8)
Anyway, they are all great (kids) and none two are ever the same in the ways they learn anything :slight_smile:

Hi,

Just adding a new link to a new topic from Shinichi Suzuki, one even GD learns from.

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/shinichi-suzuki-early-education/msg25405/?topicseen#new

Just working my way to more points and a LR for my girl… :slight_smile:

Nature vs nurture …hmm i have a few comments on that too … been keeping it to myself finding info, accumulating research, and testing it out … see if i have the time to post … later

Just linking nature vs nurture view here …cheers.

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/genes-matter-not/msg25432/?topicseen

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I am just a starter to GD and it is very impressed for your works. Thanks again

Inspiring to start teaching my child once it is born …

Just adding more links to the school of thoughts… for people who would like to explore other forms of results … or intelligence …

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/howard-gardner-multiple-intelligence/msg25815/#msg25815

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/9-types-of-intelligence/

My girl, she bables at 4-5m, says papa and mama at around 6m or at least dada … but then stopped, but continues to blabble …, then at around 10m she stands and walks by 11m. Oh yes she was dancing or moving to the rythem of music at 10m while standing …, actually she was standing at 9.5m but with support. She is running now or fast paced walking from 14m, and still likes to dance when she listens to music. So yes she is quite a walker. And when she sees a bicycle she would keep pointing to it … According to GD development schedule she is fast to normal… of course just a guide … can’t strictly follow it …

As for her talking, she started saying cat i think when she turns 1, and then at 14m she likes to say chair, table, gate, door, and now 15m followed with water, banana, apple, dog, shoes but she does not say the earlier words now … nor does she call papa mama … so … i am sure its inside her somewhere … wish she would call papa and mama more often … would love to hear her communicate with us … but now she prefers signing to tell us what she wants … she would be signing baby, good, sleep, butterfly, water, apple, dog, tree, cereals, shoes, cat, eat, fish, bird, monkey, more, milk, hat, mama, (not papa yet though :frowning: ), airplane, walk, crackers, teeth (for teeth pain as they are coming out and she wants a teether), diaper and change diaper, also poopoo, shirt, please, thank you … and some i couldn’t quite tell the meaning …

how do you sign poopoo; I haven’t come across that sign. lol

Hi mummy moderator, … i find it on the ASL, under poop, or also can see the show “meet the fockers” … robert dinero showed hs grandson …well in that movie that is

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/b/bowelmovement.htm

:yes:

Oh, yes, I remember that one. Hmm, a new sign to teach. :slight_smile:

Just linking it here to avoid repeating about the idea on EK

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-encyclopedic-knowledge/periodic-table-to-print/msg27312/?topicseen

Just an update …

Trin is about 17mth … few days more, … and at 16mth … when we were out for a walk … she saw a dog and started shouting dog dog woof woof wooof … that surprised us … and when she sees a picture or a figurine of a dog she does the same thing … she gets all excited about it … She is calling out cat and monkey and going woo woo woo … for the sound monkey makes … she remembered door, gate, cup etc … oh yes she is signing book and saying book at the same time … she is finally saying more words … which is as expected around 16 mth as with most babies …reading well … she once read teeth when we were playing YBCR dvd …

When we are in a music shop selling pianos etc … she would dance and squek with joy and going about testing all the keys on different pianos … and when someone is test playing the piano she would go there and look at them play … she gets very excited … we found out about this last month when we walked into a shop looking around for a midi keyboard … we have one but it does not have midi connection …

We started discipline training … so whenever she wants something she has to sign please, help, and point to whatever she wants, say pointing up to say she wants to get onto the high chair, or pointing to a spoon etc … we didn’t do all the ASL signs … because i think it comes to such a point … it maybe a bit … anyway she has sufficient signs to get by … sometimes she even create her own … we just have to relate her signs to what she wants to know what it is she was refering to … but we do mostly tell her to say thank you, please, help, good night papa …etc … so that she gets used to it … its working fine …

oh and we started swimming … she isn’t afraid of water and wanted to swim on her own … of course she sinks … this yr will be teaching her bouyancy and maybe blowing bubbles underwater …