Poor Man's TW! Anyone interested?

Okay, Anne :slight_smile: Thanks for letting me know!

If it helps, I donā€™t think weā€™ll expect the first video until the end of March. Let me know if you change your mind! :slight_smile:

Art Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ Works of Picasso
Science Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ
Culture Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ United States (Location on map, flag, national symbols, national landmarks, provinces, provincial flags)
Perfect Pitch - G (in whole note, half notes, and quarter notes)
Vocabulary - North American Birds, Fruits, Arctic Animals, opposites (tall/short. short/long, wide/narrow, big/small, thick/thin)
Math Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ number words , skip counting by 10ā€™s
Phonics - words ending in sh
Whole Words Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ first 20 from dolch words
Poetry Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ The Caterpillar by Christina G Rosetti
Music Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ Musical instruments (different set from what was shown in Annisisā€™ video), rhythm (ta, ta, teetee, ta), Composer portraits (Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart, Bizet)
World Language - Colours, shapes, farm animals, childrenā€™s toys in English( sorry donā€™t know how to speak any other language at the moment )
Eye Tracking
Geography Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ European Countries

Hi Tracy!

I think you may have forgot to replace some of the sections from my list with your selections! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll put the ones that have to be changed in italics

Art Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ Works of Picasso (already claimed by Annisis)
Science Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ
Culture Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ United States (Location on map, flag, national symbols, national landmarks, provinces, provincial flags)
Perfect Pitch - G (in whole note, half notes, and quarter notes)
Vocabulary - North American Birds, Fruits, Arctic Animals, opposites (tall/short. short/long, wide/narrow, big/small, thick/thin)
Math Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ number words , skip counting by 10ā€™s
Phonics - words ending in sh
Whole Words Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ first 20 from dolch wordsThe 3rd 20 from dolch words are not yet taken
Poetry Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ The Caterpillar by Christina G Rosetti
Music Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ Musical instruments (different set from what was shown in Annisisā€™ video), rhythm (ta, ta, teetee, ta), Composer portraits (Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart, Bizet)
World Language - Colours, shapes, farm animals, childrenā€™s toys in English (sorry donā€™t know how to speak any other language at the moment) No problem! If you want to just fin the images for your chosen World language categories and find the translations for the words, I can fin someone to do the voice-over.
Eye Tracking
Geography Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ European Countries

Iā€™m glad to have you involved! :slight_smile:

I am interestedā€¦I do not know if I have time to do it thoughā€¦I would like to tryā€¦ let me know what I can doā€¦ Are you going to be posting the videos as well?

Christine,

I imagine we would post themā€¦

If youā€™d like to join, choose your topics - we would love to have you! We wonā€™t expect our first finished videos until end of March :slight_smile:

Okay, Sorry so excitedā€¦ :biggrin:
I am def. on board to help.
My question is how do we make this? Is it made by using powerpoint slide shows and then put into video format? If so I have many slide shows that can help. I have musical instruments according to type ie. percussion, string, woodwindsā€¦ect. I have made slide shows of shapes, the seven continents, the US 50 states and captials, the US presidents. So maybe with the already made slide shows it can speed but the process a little.
I was also thinking, that at some point it would be really great for us to make foreign language partsā€¦like the video had spanishā€¦we can add other languages ones each of us speak or know, it would really help those of us that want to teach our children multiple languages but can not afford all these expensive programs. I speak english, and a little very little spanish and italian enough to contribute to spanish and italian if you want to do that eventually.

As of now My topics I choose is:
Culture Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ United States (how many are we putting on? should I do them all and then whoever is putting the whole thing together take out what they want?) I will def. do the sates, their flag, their capital if you want? I can also do the state bird (if that is of interest to anyone :slight_smile: ), National landmarks.

I can do this but I do not know how to do the rhythmā€¦so if anyone can help or do that part.

Absolutely, Christine!

If you read through the rest of the tread, you will see what categories we plan to cover, as well as what topics have already been taken. :slight_smile:

You can grab the list of categories and go through what you already have and fill in your topics that way to make it easier (exactly what I did!).

As for how we will do it, my plan was to use MovieMaker (a windows program) but I will figure out the equivalent for the Mac usersā€¦itā€™s really as simple as putting your images/video on one track and your audio track on another.

I look forward to seeing what you would like to cover!

Glad to have you!

Okay, so I read through the complete tread, that is why i modified my post and it was a little crazy :clown: , I just got really excited :biggrin:
I love teaching my daughter and she loves learning and anything I can do to teach her I get super excited. :blush:
I have windows live movie maker although I have never used it like thatā€¦I never knew how exactlyā€¦I know you can not transport a power point to it though. However, I think I will be able to use movie maker with no problemā€¦ I did, when my daughter was born have a program called scate but it did not work well, I was never able to publish the video and you had to pay for it. Anyway, I will be looking forward to a tutorial so I know exactly what I am doing.

So again I will try to cover as much as I can in US culture and it wasnā€™t listed but I will put the next presidents in. The music except for the rhythm because I am not sure how to do that.

Glad to be here and help. I did look at TW and it is to expensive for me so this is great!

Hi sarahjean ,

Can you please let me know how to make these videoā€™s ?
I dont have any extra software in my computer.

I am a non native english speaker .

Please share the tutorial.

Thanks

Okay, so I looked at Windows Movie Maker on my computer and I can see how you can edit videosā€¦I have even done that before. I can see how you can make a slide show of pictures. I do not see how you can make a video like the original video that was posted. I even looked up information on how to use the program on microsoft.comā€¦all they show is how to make a slideshow of pictures really, not much else. I do not know how to use this program at the moment so can someone please help those of us that do not know. I was really excitied but now I am confused and feeling a little bit defeated already :frowning: . So please share how to use the program so I can try to get started. 8)

Sorry about that. I was multitasking when I typed everything out. I fixed everything up above.
I will need the list of the 3rd list of 20 sight words that you would like

Awesome, Tracy!

That looks great (though you forgot to change your music! lol).

I would suggest that you go ahead and start gathering images (the better quality you can find, the better) an keeping them all in a folder. Iā€™ll show you how to make the word portion and put everything together once a few more people have signed up for their topics.

Oh! And here is the Dolch list Iā€™m using:

http://gemini.es.brevard.k12.fl.us/sheppard/reading/dolch.html

Donā€™t worry - Iā€™ll make sure everyone can use it. I would like for everyone o sign up for their topics first though so I know that Iā€™m not wasting my time :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing what everyone chooses!

I did one about 2 years ago I used Photo Story 3 for windows. It was free and pretty easy, but I got too busy to do more. Here is a sample.

Since it was I that suggested we add World Religion to list, I thought it might be helpful to post the POI list that I created for the topic. (I plan on making books out of photo books for Josiah based on these POI)

POI (per religion)
1 basic definition
2 founder/iconic figure
3 place of worship
4 name of scripture and language
5 primary teachings (ie. 10 commandments)
6 afterlife beliefs
7 distinctive tradition
8 number of followers presently and year founded
9 denominations? Countries?

And what Iā€™ve found, these are the most influential modern religions, presently:

Major Religions
HInduism
Judaism
Zoroastrianism
Buddhism
Shinto
Confucianism
Jainism
Taoism
Christianity
Islam
Sikhism
Bahaā€™i

I will be doing Hinduism and sarahjean will be doing Bahaā€™i.

I wonder sarahjean, if it might be easier to post a list like this for each topic, to avoid confusion and help everyone in their direction? Coming up with topics off the top of your head can be a little intimidating for some.

And another question: Will we be doing photo eye play during the poetry recite?

Thatā€™s a good idea, Annisis. Not many people have really signed up for topicsā€¦ Since you seem to be really keen to get things going (as am I), is there some way we can chat online to work out details like this? Perhaps if you have Skype, MSN, etc. you could PM me with yourcontact and we could do some brainstorming there?

Iā€™ve been following this thread and would like to get involved. I have a 26 month old and weā€™ve been doing LR for about a year now. I havenā€™t been as diligent as I use to be with her, but I would like to get back on the wagon.

My trouble is coming up with the topic info. I have a Mac, so Iā€™m really good with iMovie. But I get brain freeze when it comes to subject matter, not knowing where to start. Iā€™d be willing to put things together if I could get some help with content. Let me know your thoughts or if you have any suggestions for how to decide what to show. Is there a formula to follow?