Piano Lesson: Revolutionary Learning Method for kids and adults based on color associations

Dear All,

Is anyone familiar with this adapted method of teaching piano to young children?

• Ayesha

That’s very interesting. I may have to buy one for Gabriel, although I have no idea how the program would work without bringing him to a class.

I just looked on ebay, and I didn’t see a single one for sale. :blink:

I tried ebay as well, here inthe US and in europe …NO LUCK !! no luck with the Kawasaki company directly either…

So I thought about something else watching the video I copied the colors and the letters ie c=yellow g=green f= red … and I made little notes (using 1/2 avery return label) with the letter written in the color (using big marker) and put them on the piano - Leena loves them- I wasn’t even done with the whole alphabet when Leena was already playing the song; I marked all the Cs; Fs and Gs and she took it from there… granted she is taking violin at the susuki academy here in VA so I guess her ear is tunned (we have gone for 5 months) but we tried to figure the song out before and were never able to to do it… The colors worked for us… she is having a blast ! Thanks a million for the clip; great inspiration for us.

Gloria

Dear All,

Your welcome. I will also try to research the colored keyboard and see what I can come up with, God willing.

Also, I cannot see the videos that I have posted? I guess I will restart my laptop?

• Ayesha
    confused

Yes, it’s not necessary to find colored-key keyboards at all. Simply get some colored stickers and paste them on yourself, or improvise in a similar way.

What I’m wondering is whether there’s any organization like Suzuki which uses a ‘standard’ color set. In our current pre-beta Little Musician, we also do code the keys, in both shapes and colors, so it’d be useful to know if there were standards out there we could use. As mentioned in the other thread, I have not come across any reliable source that says these are the colors used by Suzuki (if they even use colors in the first place!).

It does seem like it would make it easier to learn.

Look at theese sites, they are really interesting

Lisa Childs Piano Book 1-4 - http://www.childspianobooks.co.uk/
Lisa Childs Piano 1 - This is for the beginner. Although colour is used in this book, the Lisa Childs method is not a ‘colour system’. Colour is used here as a visual stimulant to make it easier to follow, rather than the traditional ‘alphabet’ method. Young children can start to play the piano before they know their ABC, and can also be taught by parents who need not be pianists themselves, but can enjoy learning along with their children. By the end of this book the pupil will be playing pieces with both hands. This book has 96 pages.
http://forum.brillkids.com/product-discussions-and-reviews/the-lisa-childs-piano-books-for-teaching-kids-to-play-piano/

Piano for Preschoolers - http://www.pianoforpreschoolers.com/kids-piano.html
When You Purchase Piano for Preschoolers Music Lessons, You’ll Receive:
Beginning piano book containing 17 familiar beginner piano songs written in color-coded notes on a traditional musical staff
17 Track CD with voice-over “count aloud” for each song in the music book
Durable coordinating color strip that sits behind the keys of your piano or keyboard to guide your preschooler to the correct key
A second durable color strip to fit securely on most quality electronic keyboards with mini-keys
Parent/Teacher Guide that includes step-by-step instructions for teaching each of the 19 music lessons

KinderBach - http://www.kinderbach.com/
KinderBach is preschool piano lessons, music for young children at their level of understanding. KinderBach presents music using the piano keyboard as the base instrument to maximize the beneficial effects on the growth and development of young kids. Children should love to learn an instrument and KinderBach makes the learning fun.
With KinderBach, you can choose the learning path that is best for you. KinderBach offers online sessions, DVD lessons, or curriculum for early childhood classes.
They have some free samples of online video lessons, it is pretty interesting.

And this site summarizes methods of teaching piiano to children:http://pianoeducation.org/pnomethd.html

We bought a keyoboard to our daughter to her third birthday and we still can not decide which method and materials to choose. We cannot play piano ourselves.

Dear All,

Another method for teaching children piano called “Soft Way to Mozart”:

http://www.doremifasoft.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/lenkaolenka

Enjoy!
Ayesha

Hello Ayesha - Hello All

For those still interested in the color piano, I have News!!! :yes:

I contacted the person who posted the video in YouTube and send him a message (see below)
He is right now on vacations but he actually is one of the persons who sells these pianos on Ebay and will be putting them on ebay again in March.

I agree with other moms that color stickers will do just fine if you have a piano, that is excatly what i am doing and is working but this makes an excelente option for someone who does not have a piano and has small children who will be more driven by the shining colors of this keyboard and smaller size.

As soon as I hear from Alfonso I will post the message here.

Everyone happy Valentines !!

Fondest Regards,

Gloria

==============
help center | e-mail options |
alfonsopablo has sent you a message:

Re: Color Piano
Hola Gloria,

Gracias por tus comentarios.
En este momento me encuentro de vacaciones, pero en cuanto
regrese al pais, pondre los pianos a la venta en ebay nuevamente.
Planeo volver para fines de Marzo.
Te hare saber!

Gracias,
-Pablo.

Oh, that’s wonderful! I had thought about sending him a message, but I don’t have an account on YouTube, and I didn’t want to create one just for that! Can you also ask him if he sells the colored sheet music too?

Ayesha, thank you for this great info. Karma point to you. I like it very much it and I opened new thread about this method.
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-music/‘soft-way-to-mozart’-piano-teaching-for-little-kids-and-beginners/msg18252/#msg18252

Dear Pupisek & All,

Your welcome. :biggrin:

• Ayesha

Just to let you know,that I’ve just posted an ebay listing for the set of all 4 of the Lisa Child’s piano books. Likewise for the Christmas carol book. They were bought for my 4 year old daughter by my mother and my daughter literally used the first book a couple of times and drew one line of notes in coloured pencil on one page of an exercise which are now erased. We used 22 out of the 122 stickers for book one but these are the only marks on any of the 4 books - the other 3 of which have been left untouched.

I used to play a lot of piano and am preferring to do the teaching for her in a more ecletic (another way of saying random I think!) way for the time being. I would prefer to pass them onto somebody who will actively use them as they do look great!

In late response to KL’s question if there was any standard color association with the keys, my guess would be no, since I’ve seen different teaching systems using colors, and they seem to be proprietary and random (so you have to buy their system and tools and be loyal, I guess).

My suggestion would be to follow the standard spectrum, since it mimics what notes do–progress up a spectrum. Also, it conveniently has seven colors. I noticed in the preview of Trebellina, they teach CDE up the first 3 colors of the spectrum, and include a spectrum in their logo. I haven’t received my copy yet, but I am hoping they follow the pattern for the rest of the notes.

I know if I stickered the keys in any other order besides the spectrum, my child would want to reorder them. Actually, he would probably do it himself while I was cooking or otherwise distracted.

I would actually hesitate to buy into a system that didn’t use the spectrum because it wouldn’t make sense to me logically, and seven randomly arranged and chosen colors on my keyboard would look visually chaotic to me.

I considered printing my own stickers off my laptop, but have been too lazy to do so, and also I’d like to try teaching my child without the stickers first. However, if I had done so, I might have made the lower notes darker and the higher notes lighter (adding more black or white in the palette so that C could be maroon or pink) That to me would have made sense to preserve the color, but make a distinction between the octaves. I would have kept the middle C and the octave above it the most saturated octave, as it is the one most frequently played and sung.

I agree the random colors would be visually chaotic. I suppose other companies have other philosophies. In any event, Cristofori will very shortly be coming out with some note flash cards that correspond to the lessons on the DVD. If you have ordered, you will be emailed when the product becomes available. It is another way to reinforce the note lessons.

I’m happy to hear about the flashcards with the color arrangement that I prefer :slight_smile: .

I would have waited to order them together if I had known they were coming out soon. Any estimated time of arrival for Rock Bassey and Rhythmo?

Heres another method to add to the mix:

http://www.rainbowpianotechnique.com/

Cheers everyone,

Lawrence

We are working hard. Should be done this year! The bass clef flashcards (color coded) will be done beforehand, though.

Regarding the “Rainbow Piano Technique,” I know my son would take great issue with a rainbow that didn’t include green, but had 3 different shades of brown. I notice that the notes somehow switch their color scheme–possibly at middle C, so that the child has to learn two sets of colors for the C scale. Possibly, the colors are different on the web in sRGB than they are in print, but the three shades of brown are hard to distinguish at a glance for me.

I’m waiting for my Trebellina DVD to see if A is indigo. If so, it’s my ideal color arrangement, because it will fulfill my color sensitive child’s sense of order. He hates seeing indigo discriminated against in a 6 color rainbow.