occupying child with something other than tv while you are busy

hi there.

when i need to get meals ready or i have other work that needs to get done, sometimes LO wants my attention then. its easier to switch on the tv and put einsteins on but there must be another way to get them to entertain themselves while we try and do whatever important thing that needs to be done.

so far fridge magnets have provided some distraction. i have alphabets and Sa’ad lines them up. he also empties my tupperware/plasticware cupboard.
that gives me time to get things done.

any more ideas

Crayons and paper works well for my children (although we watch alot of tv). Just be prepared for an occasional unexpected wall mural. Actually it sounds like you are doing well with tv control. In our house we watch way too much tv.

Try to include him in your activities, 2 years old can be a big help in the kitchen :wink: He can wash veggies, pour salt and do lots of different things

Balls are also great, when I have to call someone and LO wants to play I roll balls with him on the table, I can do it while talking on the phome without even thinking about it :slight_smile:

i like those ideas. the crayons will strengthen finger muscles and develop fine motor and getting him to help in the kitchen is something i never thought of.

i am looking forward to cooking tomorrow!

hi there,

i keep my baby occupied by giving her the thing she likes such as pot, pans, spoon and cups. she likes to bang all the things and like to hear the sound. other than that i kept her occupied by watching her educational tv show :smiley:

When I’m putting the dishes away I use it as a teaching method, showing her plate, bowl, fork, etc including the color and the shape. I do the same when putting clothes in the washer and when I’m folding it. This is a shirt, what color is the shirt? Sometimes it doesn’t hold her attention long enough to finish, but at least I got part of it done and I’ll finish while she is watching one of her DVD’s. :slight_smile:

It is hard for me to play tv with her while I am doing kitchen stuff…because Catalina follows me and she just wants mommy, what she does when I am busy cooking, washing dishes , I let her be in the high chair eating her favorite snacks when she is done doing that, I give her flashcards(she loves them) she is playing with them, making sounds, and after that I give her books…just keep her busy, if she doesn’t want that try something else,like toys or wood spoons,plastic spoons,boxes…
Hope this helps.

the helping in the kitchen suggestions have been great for us (i think our children are close in age) but i’ve also created table games that often work out well. things like rice and noodles and even buttons (though i still watch out for that one because she is obsessed with putting them in her now lol ).
yes… there is a bit of sweeping after but if you use a really large serving tray and cut down on the cups or bowls that you use it generally isn’t so bad. great for motor skills. also, try playdough, containers and tops (matching and fitting), foam letters to play with.
we only allow and hour to an hour and a half max of tv. i leave everything within dd reach (that is safe) and she can decide what to do. it is really important that the children develop a sense of independence through independent play.

oh and i meant to say… we love those montessori kitchen helper stools but it was WAY too big for our kitchen so we got an ikea stool that has worked wonders! she loves to get up to the counter or sink to ‘help’ or just snack.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90098634
hope that helps!

Some more ideas to keep them occupied:

Have a toy rotation… a box of blocks, a box of duplo/lego (even different sets of lego kept separate), a train set, a box of cleaned recycle stuff like yogurt containers for littles, or recycle craft stuff for preschoolers, playdough (cheap and easy to make a big batch at home and keep it in the back of the fridge)… keep these toys out of their reach/sight until you take them out. If they haven’t played with them for a while, then they’ll respond like it’s a new toy and it keeps their attention longer. (Then put it away again!.. keeps the house tidier this way too).

On our back porch that is off the kitchen (safe and gated) I can keep the toddler and preschoolers busy out there for a long time by occasionally handing them a pitcher of water to play with (this applies to summertime of course!). If I were to only provide my kids with 3 toys that get the most play value of all… water, sand, and lego!

Sometimes we get down a few blankets and throw a couple over a kitchen or coffee table, or a couple of living room chairs, and voila… a fort!

Sometimes I think they are seeming more attention-seeking just before dinner because they are getting hungry… perhaps they weren’t too fond of what we had for lunch and didn’t eat as much as they should have. Sometimes while I am making dinner I put out some super-healthy snack (like raw veggies or apple slices) for them to munch on… but it has to be something that it won’t bother me if they spoil their appetite a little for dinner.

Sometimes I feed the baby his dinner first before I make dinner, or I feed him in his highchair while I make dinner (3 or 4 spoonfuls and cut some veggies, 3 or 4 spoonfuls then stir a pot, etc…)… he’s usually happy to watch what I’m doing while he waits for some more… or I give him safe kitchen utensils or small unopened bags of food… anything but what’s in that boring toy box (seen it, done that!)

I have a sling… sometimes nothing works and the baby gets carried in the sling while I do something like vacuum, laundry folding, cooking… they like being carried, that’s the way babies are.

Sometimes I let the toddler play with water at the sink while I cook… a little attention still is needed to ensure the water is staying in the sink though… but water will keep them very very occupied.

I think there are a lot of good ideas in a little book called “365 Things to do Without TV”… some title like that… I haven’t read it in a long time; maybe someone can confirm/correct that title… I’m sure there’s more ideas in there that wouldn’t be very parent involved.

Use your imagination… ultimately they want your attention more than anything else… maybe there are creative ways to give them your attention that don’t require you physically… perhaps start and lead a game where they are acting out different animals, or they will pretend to be construction equipment and build a road … sometimes we play ‘fetch’: the boys are ‘Rosie’ and ‘Bernie’ (two favourite neighbour dogs) and we have a soft cloth ball that I toss and they take turns fetching it by crawling and grabbing it in their teeth and bringing it back to me and I say “Fetch, Rosie”, or “Fetch, Bernie”, and “good, Rosie”, “good, Bernie”–they LOVE this game! (My husband has reservations about treating our kids like dogs though :wacko: )

When I had only one or even two little ones, I had none of these ideas yet and our life sort of revolved around them a lot more, and it didn’t matter if things weren’t always getting done because “this too shall pass”… but it’s been 16 years now and I still have little ones (and another due in December) so now getting dinner on the table and the laundry kept up and homeschooling the older ones and cleaning the house and weeding the garden… well, it just has to get done; it can’t wait until they’ve outgrown this stage. I’m also very blessed to also have some older ones who can keep them entertained/supervised (like when I have a bath!) It sounds like a lot of work or very difficult to have many children, but really it’s no harder than having just one or two little ones. I have more experience now and can get things done more efficiently (there isn’t that big emotional learning curve like when you’re a new parent), and the kids entertain each other more, and the older ones are doing some of the chores that I used to have to do all by myself. For some things there is more work (eg more laundry), somethings are the same (still 3 meals, just bigger pots), but some things are easier with more kids to help out (I can leave them all in the car for a series of quick errands like pick up the drycleaning, mail a package… and I even have a built in babysitter now). If you enjoy kids and want more, but you are feeling uncertain if you could manage any more, then believe me that it was really hard for me too to have 1 or 2 children… I find it a bit easier now (with 6!) even though it still definitely keeps me from getting bored… ever! Watching them all grow and learn and develop is such a miracle and such a pleasure that it makes it worth it to freely give up a little of the ‘me’ time to pursue my own interests… there will be lots of time for that later. If you know that you don’t want to have any more children, then please do me one honour… never say in front of your children anything like these common phrases “oh, I couldn’t handle any more children”, “oh, two are enough for me!”, “no way, I’ve got my hands full with these two”… people will ask you if plan to have more, but there are much better responses that won’t hurt your children’s feelings. Well, this is getting off topic, but I hope that everyone is enjoying their little blessings, even though it isn’t always easy to get things done, and maybe some of these ideas will help. Limiting TV helps kids to keep longer attention spans too.

Great tips, thanks!

wow,momtoomany,this is really helpful! i must print this.hehe :biggrin:

i think any television should be sparse and Always under upervision, thre isnt a hole lot of things i have to do that i couldnt find a way to include my son. i have two baby carriers and i hope to use them often. television can be addictive i think it can b used as an educational tool, but not as a baby siter.

Wow, thanks for posting this, momtomany! :smiley: I know my baby is still to young for some of these but I love how this really gave me a chance to liberate her from too much TV-watching in the future. Right now, her nanny loves watching TV so much, I have to keep buying them books and flashcards. Hopefully, we can start these imagination games soon!

mom to many, i really enjoy reading your posts. I am new parent to one baby and it’s extremely difficult for me. So thumbs up for you and all that you do for your 6!!

I still look at parents with many children and ask “what where they thinking? they must not like sleeping very much” and stuff like that, but still respect their decision but can’t fully understand it. I guess you put it simply, you have experience now and a “system” that works, unlike me who is still figuring many things out. :blush:

i got my son a pair of kitchen tongs and he collects stuff and transfers them from one container to the other. This keeps him entertained for ages. Before this he was learning to unscrew lids to get things like pom poms out. I also drilled holes into the plastic lid of a formula tin and he likes to poke straws or pipecleaners in. He is 19m.

Lately I’ve been looking at Montessori ideas too to keep these littles occupied and content. lorenp77… your ideas sound so Montessorish. We had company last weekend and the 14mo old was getting fussy in his highchair (he was tired, so I knew putting him on the floor wouldn’t help either), so for only a few minutes more of peaceful conversation I grabbed an empty toothpaste box from the counter and two straws and showed him how to put the straw in the box, out the box, in, out… then left him to it and it kept him busy for quite a while before I put him to bed. Maria Montessori formed all her learning ideas from closely observing children. I think the most important thing I’ve learned from my reading lately is to try not to interrupt a child who is intensely preoccupied with something… try to stay out of his ‘work’ and only assist them the littlest you can if they get frustrated… in this way the ability to focus and concentrate on an activity for a prolonged period of time is developed. One of the notable things about Montessori classrooms is how peaceful and relaxed the children are as they go about their ‘work’… Maria Montessori observed that play (work to a child) that is meeting their developmental needs does not tire them out or leave them cranky. Also what I find appealing about Montessori teaching is that they encourage the little ones to practice and learn the practical life skills early on (pouring, food preparation, dressing oneself…)… to a mom of many, getting them to do-for-themselves a.s.a.p. sounds wonderful! Google “homemade Montessori”, “Montessori homeschooling”, or “Montessori preschool activities” to find some really cool ideas of activities to present to your little ones to keep them happily engaged in developmentally appropriate ‘work’. If you’re looking for toy ideas (for birthday or Christmas) try googling “Montessori toys” for some ideas of quality toys that are also good for their development.

Those are great ideas! We made a rice table out of a rubbermaid container and put in measuring cups and such. My son also loves spending time doing puzzles at his table in the kitchen while I do dishes.
I also want to make a boxs with ziploc activities for him to do during times that I need him occupied.
http://thesunnypatch.blogspot.com/2007/09/activity-bags-for-preschoolers.html

Hi! I also find playdough to be a really great thing for my son to do while i’m making supper. AND with playdough we often make long playdough snakes, and he cuts them while I make supper. I know some parents are scared of scissors, but the occupational therapists that I know REALLY encourage their use in play because they’re so effective in teaching fine motor skills. I just pull his chair up so he can sit at the kitchen counter (it’s a low counter) and I make a bunch of snakes out of playdough, and he cuts them. Loves it!

Someone mentioned baby einstein DVDs. I recently read about some studies of kids that watch those DVDs – might not be that great for kids after all. Apparently, studies have shown that kids who watch the Einstein DVDs in particular actually have a 20% LOWER vocabulary rate than kids who have never watched them. It has something to do with the fact that kids learn words from watching people verbalizing them and since the einstein videos are overdubbed, and there isn’t actually anyone shown speaking the words, the kids don’t actually pick up on them or learn them.

I love some of these responses! Great ideas. Thanks everyone, as always, for the super ideas!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I loved the links to ziploc activity bags… I am usually so short on time when we come in from walking the dog and it is late getting supper started, it is hard to get him started in a project and we often resort to dvds as it just takes less input from me (he doesn’t get tv, just dvds in chinese or french, or signing time… haha! I try to convince myself it is not the same as tv… sigh). If I made up bags in advance, he could mostly just take one and have all the stuff on hand. I googled ziploc activity bags and there are a LOT of great ideas out there. Also if anyone here is Canadian, there is a great Montessori equipment site I found online at http://ca.montessorioutlet.com/ though the shipping is expensive (fedex).