When did BIDMAS come around? When I was in middle school we learned PEMDAS

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

Paranthesis
Exponents
Multiply
Divide
Addition
Subtraction

I’ve never heard of any of them. That goes to show how the school system is here, and maybe why I suck at math.

lol don’t worry nikki, i’ve never heard of BIDMAS or PEMDAS, but we did learn BEDMAS!

:tongue:

I never heard of any of these terms either, we were just taught the rules!

Chris, the idea of making sure our equations are BIDMAS-compliant is a good one. Thanks.

Liz does make a good point though - we could argue no rules are broken, because the child is actually being shown: “Multiply four by six, then add eighteen, then divide by two”, the operative word being “THEN”.

If I remember correctly BODMAS stood for Brackets of Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction, but it was a long long time ago.

I believe that Doman actually tells you in his book not to mix division/multiplication and addition/subtraction equations (certainly at the beginning) to prevent this. So certainly early on you should be doing:

3 + 12 - 6 + 53 - 7 = 55 or a similar sum with multiplication and division alone.

The question is what happens in the childs brain when you are asking him the equation - is he solving it sequentially? More than likely… in which case the “then” Liz puts in would definitely help.

Does anyone know where BODMAS is ever used in real life or is it a higher maths concept relating to numerals and the language of mathematics?

I was aware that the child would perform calculations sequentially-just seemed sensible to prepare equations with BODMAS in mind.

BODMAS !

B
Brackets first
O
Orders (ie Powers and Square Roots, etc.)
DM
Division and Multiplication (left-to-right)
AS
Addition and Subtraction (left-to-right)

The only strange name is “Orders”. “Powers” would have been a better word, but who could remember “BPDMAS” … ? “Exponents” is used in Canada, and so you might prefer “BEDMAS”, there is also “Indices” so that makes it “BIDMAS”. In the US they say “Parenthesis” instead of Brackets, so they say “PEMDAS”

Note: Divide and Multiply rank equally. Add and Subtract rank equally.

Chris.

hi Elisabeth,

Both my kids have never do flash cards before. I have a 2y.o. and a 4y.o. I read about this forum and extremely amazed by how much a child can learn through flashcards method. But is it too late to start with my 4yrs old? She know how to count 1-50. If i start to do the Red Dots with her, will she be able to perceive what is being shown in the card? Will it be confusing for her? And if a child can recognise the quantity through the Red Dots, will he be able to recognise the quantity if he is being shown a quantity being presented differently from the Red Dots.(eg, square instead & position changed).

rachel

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! DETAILED, AWESOME INFORMATION! JUST WHAT I NEEDED!

doman mam, is the Doman math schedule you posted at the beginning of the thread still available ?
The links from the beginning are dead :frowning:

please help

hi Elizabeth

Would like to ask you, the link that you posted earlier about the math equation is it still available?

http://worldsbesteducation.org/math.aspx

I can open the link
Can you help? Intend to start with the math program for my 2 months old BB.
Thank you very much dear…