maths equations

pls help me …can anyone tell me the complete method of showing maths eqn cards on computer?? how many eqns we have to show at a time and how many cards we have to discard per day??

pls reply argently … thanks in advance…

cheers,
prince.

Have you read Doman’s book? You should check and see if it is available at your local library, or you can get it on amazon.com for around $10. It would really help you to understand the process more if you read the “how-to” chapters, if you have the book available.

But as for you question, once you’ve taught numbers 1-20 (about two weeks) you’re supposed to start teaching addition. Do you know how to do this? You simply get three dot cards and flash them one at a time saying “One” (hold up the one card) “plus two” (hold up the two card) “equals three!” (show the three card). Do this very, very fast OR ELSE your child will get very, very bored and refuse to look at them. Be extremely joyful.

Show three different equations per session. For example, show 1+2=3, 5+7=12, 8+10=18. Avoid doing repetitive equations, such as 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 1+3=4. This would bore the baby and there is no need for it. And there is no need to do every possible equation under the sun. Three times a day for two weeks is more than enough to give him a grasp of addition, etc.

Each session should take you no more than thirty seconds, max, otherwise you will bore the baby. Have three equation sessions a day. You will teach addition for two weeks, then subtraction, then multiplication (repeated addition), then division (reversed multiplication). Just this morning I have uploaded all the schedules that I used when teaching my son addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can download the sample schedule outline. There are also lists of ALL the possible addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division equations from one through one hundred (one-step equations like 2x2=4) to help you make you your own schedules. I hope you find these resources valuable and I hope that I will have much more information on the math program up and running soon.

Here is the link:
http://worldsbesteducation.org/math.aspx

For teaching quantity, you are supposed to have two sets of quantity cards that you teach three times a day. For example, in the first week, you will have one set of cards with the numbers (dots) one, two, three, four, and five and another set with the numbers six, seven, eight, nine, and ten in them. The first day you only show one set (numbers 1-5) but the second day you show two sets (1-5 and 6-10). The very first time you show the cards you may show them in order, but after that make sure you mix the cards up each time.

Retiring Cards
After five days you start retiring old cards and adding new cards. The MINIMUM is two cards a day, one from each set, but you will soon change to retiring more each day so that your child doesn’t get bored. Once you get to forty you should be retiring at least three a day. Remember, even though you retire them (put them away) it will not be the last time your baby sees them. He will see each card many more times in equations and games later on.

Here is how to retire cards: after the first five days of showing numbers one - ten, change your sets from set one having 1-5 and set two having 6-10 to TWO SETS WITH ONE EVEN-NUMBERED SET AND ONE ODD-NUMBERED SET. For example, in set one you will put all of your odd numbers:1,3,5,7, and 9 and in set two you will put all of your even numbers: 2,4,6,8, and 10. You do this so that you will be retiring one old number from each set (1 [odd] and 2 [even]) and adding one new card to each set (11 [odd] and 12[even]). Pretty simple, eh? :slight_smile:

After two weeks of teaching quantity you should start teaching equations. After you’ve taught numbers one through twenty you should begin addition. You will do addition equations for two weeks, subtraction equations for two weeks, multiplication for two weeks, and division for two weeks. Also note that once you get to forty you should be retiring AT LEAST three cards a day to keep your baby interested. You can retire four a day, or even five - you will know how quickly your baby learns them - you can see it in their eyes. If they are turning their head away that is a good indication that “Mom, I already know these!” Go faster if he does this and read his cues.

Teaching basic arithmetic and quantity will take ten weeks total. This is what I call stage 1. Doman calls it step one and two (step 1 = quantity, step 2 = equations). Stage 2, (or for Doman, step 3) is problem-solving. Instead of showing all three cards for each equation you only show the answer. This makes math sessions much quicker and easier. For problem-solving, you show the baby three equations and then give him the opportunity to choose the answer to a third equation if he wishes to do so. An example of a typical session might go as follows:

12x2÷3=8
12x3÷2=18
12x4÷3=16
12x3÷4=? 9 or 10

You can get sample schedules for problem-solving on the link I provided above. You can also get a good idea of the whole program on the “schedule outline” download, also provided in the link.

I hope this all makes sense and will help you on the exciting and wonderful journey of teaching your baby math. I know it is not complete but, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

Elizabeth

Thanks again for that very helpful info, Elizabeth!

hi Elizabeth

thanks dear for the valuable infomation.. i will certainly follow it .. but it seems a bit difficult to me rather than showing the word cards...also as u said that if the baby is looking away means he knows the card makes me happy now coz my kid also looks arround after a couple of sessions... now i know what to do .. thanks again for ur valuable contribution...

prince.

You explained in so better way!! Thank u so much.I m impressed .

Elizabeth you said this morning you have uploaded the schedules.Pls can you let me know where can i find those schedules??
Can you send me the link pls???

Sapna

Elizabeth i have a doubt pls clear it…currently i m showing word cards n math dot cards in the same session. is it right way…
im showing every thing on computer slide shows coz my son is not so intrested in manual card method. so my question is can i show the word cards + number cards + math equation cards in one session of about 10 to 15 min…coz currently this is what im doing…n my son see all the slides. intrestingly…some times he looks away from the math quantity cards…

pls any one can throw light on this and pls advice me…

i forgot to add … i show him 3 times a day…every session of about10 to 15 min…

Thanks for the great summary! I’ve even read the math section of How to multiply your baby’s intelligence, but you made it so clear!

Sapna1322: the sample schedules I made can be found here: http://worldsbesteducation.org/math.aspx

prince: if your baby will sit still for showing math dots and words together than go for it. I show my son several sets of bits or w/e at once usually and this works fine for us. But the goal is to always stop BEFORE your baby wants to stop. If you always stop before he wants to then you will leave him hungry for more, rather than pushing it until he’s anxious to stop.

So if doing both math dots and words together is too long for your baby then split it up so that your session are just a ten to thirty seconds each. BUT if he is glad to do them for ten or fifteen minutes that is fine, just make sure you are reading his cues and stopping before he WANTS to.

Also, about him looking away from the math dots, my son did this too at first. In fact after teaching the first ten numbers we went on a three month break because he refused to look at them, so I put them away and was trying to figure out how to teach him. Eventually he became interested again when he met Math Lion, a fun-loving, silly puppet that gobbled up dots and loved to eat equations. Of course, the magic was not so much in the puppet as it was in my attitude: I was enthusiastic, silly, quick, and full of joy. He now, about eight months later, happily solves addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems, square roots, fractions, etc. The key is to be joyful, silly, and very, very quick. If he won’t look at five numbers at a time then show him three, or even two, or even one. It is far better that he be learning two numbers a day than learning nothing. If he won’t watch a whole session of addition equations (three equations) then only show him one at a time. I haven’t heard many success stories with the math, I think because most parents give up if their children don’t appear interested at first. Looking at a bunch of red dots isn’t all that interesting for a baby, because they already know the quantities they just don’t know the names for them.

I hope this helps and I hope you can show your baby what an awesome joy mathematics is. As Glenn Doman says, “Present learning as a privilege they have earned” and not as a chore. Your baby can and will love math once the fire is lighted - the key is to getting him interested.

Praying for your success, feel free to ask any more questions if you have them. :slight_smile:

Elizabeth

check out my blog at worldsbesteducation.blogspot.com

hi elizabeth,

again thanks for ur advice… what is this math lion. i dint get it. pls can u elaborate the concept n where can i find the math lion. is it some kind of website or software for maths…

prince…

Oh… so sorry about that. No, the “math lion” is just an old puppet I found, got out and introduced him to Hunter as “Mr. Math Lion” and told him how much Math Lion loves numbers and then brought him along to all of our math sessions. I had the puppet talk about how much he loves numbers and how he eats up all the right answers, etc. Like I said, the main “magic” of math lion was not in the actual puppet but in my change of attitude - that I was overly enthusiastic, silly, joyful, and quick. Math was a time of laughter, giggles, and fun rewards and play. He started begging to “wake him [math lion] up from his nap” so we could play more math.

You don’t necessarily need a puppet to get those results - being that happy, enthusiastic, and excited yourself will do the trick.

Elizabeth

worldsbesteducation.blogspot.com

Hi DomanMom

Thanks for the link to your blog!

Is this your boy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtN5KfEPjco

Could he do division at age two?

I recently had a comment on my blog from a guy who taught his three kids GD reading and math. He says his kids haven’t retained the ability to perceive quantity, and he believes they may have been picking up on subtle gestural cues when they appeared to recognize quantity as little kids.

Do you know any grown-ups who have retained the ability to perceive quantity? I’d really love to hear from them!

Maddy

oh elizabeth… that means it was all ur imagination n creativity…fine now i will also look for some sort of creativity action to keep my sessions lively n active… lets see what can i think of…but any ways it was nice to hear from u. u are a great help…
thanku dear…

prince.

Prince even my son doesnt like manula flash cards.Can you tell me how do you teach your child maths on slides.Like do you use any educational dvd’s ?? for maths.How equaations are possible on slide show??pls let me know

Sapna

Maddy:

Yes, actually, that is my son back in December of last year. We had really just started then, he only knew up to twelve. But yes, before he turned three we had learned quantities up to one hundred, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

About your concern about kids losing their abilities (or rather, perhaps the fact that they didn’t even learn it at all - they were just reading gestures!) I don’t have the clearest answer to give you. I have met many, many parents who have had wonderful success with the reading program, but only one other parent who has had success with the math program. That other person is the author of domaninspiredparenting.blogspot.com.

Why is this? I don’t really know. The trend for the math program either seems to be 1) Their baby hated it and so they dropped it. This is actually what happened to us - I first read the book in August of 2007, and Hunter learned numbers one through ten, but then refused to look at them so we took a three month break until I improvised, made it more exciting (you can read other posts about our silly puppet “math lion” who loves math and gobbles up numbers), and he became interested again. We made it a very, very quick game and he loved it. My speculation is that the reason babies get bored with it and refuse to look at it is because looking at a bunch of red dots isn’t very interesting, after all, if they are born with the ability to perceive quantity then they already know the quantities they just don’t know the names we’ve given them yet (i.e. “twenty-seven”)

The second trend I have come across with the math program is parents like the commenter on your blog, who taught their baby the dots but did not finish the whole program. Of the “success stories”, other than the blog author I mentioned above, most do not admit that they actually taught their child arithmetic or say how long they did the math program - one “success” story told of how they did the dots when their son was a baby, and when he was three and in preschool he caught onto the math worksheets really quickly. But this is far from the projected results of the book, and makes one wonder if the dots really did any good or if we’re just fooling ourselves into pretending it had an impact.

But, I can tell you that I know that it has worked with my son. As for reading body language, this hasn’t been our experience in his ability to perceive real quantity. How do I know? Well, I have seen him pick the card with 81 dots on it in a pile of 80, 79, 82, 81, and 83. Not once or twice, but hundreds of times with hundreds of combination of numbers - he always gets the right one! In fact, usually I don’t even know which one is the right answer because I shuffle them all and then lay them out - he has to bring me the card and I look at the numeral on the back to make sure it’s the right one! So there’s really no way that I could give the answer away with my body language because I don’t even know which one is the answer! And if you’re wondering if maybe he just memorized the patterns - no, I have used several different cards with many different patterns, and it doesn’t matter which one I used or even if he’s never seen the cards before, he still knows how many dots are on there.

But the most convincing way that I know that he really can perceive quantity and really does know the true meaning of numbers is in his ability to solve equations. I followed the Doman program and showed him addition equations for two weeks, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc. I never acted it out for him (i.e. adding one Cheerio to two Cheerios). All I did was show him the facts - “one” (show him the one card) “plus two” (show him the two card) “equals three” (show him the three card). After seeing about nine different equations a day for two weeks, he could solve any addition equation I presented to him. After one week of subtraction he appeared bored, so I gave him some problem-solving opportunities and he could solve any subtraction equation. After five days of multiplication he did the same. After three days of division he did the same. He has never memorized his multiplication tables. He has never had division acted out for him. He has not seen every addition problem under the sun. But he understand math, and knows the true meaning of the equations we were made to memorize only in the abstract.

I can’t say I fully know why so many have failed on this simple program. Perhaps because it is not really simple at all - I have spent many hours pouring over what equations to teach, and have spend long energy trying to make it interesting and fun for him so that he can learn. It pains me to see parents who want to teach their baby math but fail for one reason or another. I hope that by telling my story and providing parents with resources - such as printable dots, and the most time-consuming thing: schedules of equations - that I can help as many children as possible to learn the meaning behind the symbols we use in math and be able to master this simple language. Perhaps the other reason so many parents have failed is because they don’t really believe it is possible, and therefore give up before they’ve even truly started. Maybe I can help by telling everyone that it is possible to teach a tiny child math, and that it is a great and noble thing to do. It’s been such a joy for us, I just pray that as many people as possible who can hear the good news will hear it, and will press on with joy and love to teach their own child.

I hope this helps, if you want to know more you can visit my blog on blogs under the title of math: http://worldsbesteducation.blogspot.com/search/label/Learn%20Math

Elizabeth - I checked out your blog. It is very inspiring! Thanks for all the great information.

sapna i have just started with equations with my kid… i do not use any educational dvd… i just do it on powerpoint slides…i take help of the link http://worldsbesteducation.org/math.aspx provided by Elizabeth … they r a great help…as eiizabeth has explained here in same topic i now do exactly that way. im adding here a file to show how i do it…

sp note …experts can also comment on the method n provide suggestion or correction for the same

Hi! This is amazing! I really want to start with my Andrew. Elizabeth, does it matter what the pattern of the dots is? How about the color of the dots?

Thanks for the website. I will be printing the schedule and cards. I just thougt I could make the first ones with the dots from "garage sales’ that you can get in the stores.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

No it doesn’t matter what pattern the dots are in as long as it is a random pattern. I.e., you do NOT want to put the dots in any kind of shape or pattern like squares, triangles, stars, or rows - just put them on there completely randomly.

Also, the color does not specifically matter - red is ideal, just because it is the most attractive color to the baby, but not necessary to learn quantity. I have been using black cards because you can print them out of your computer quite cheaply.

And yes, while you can make dots from the “garage sale” stickers you talk about (this is how Doman instructs you to do it), making numbers one through one hundred is a tedious, difficult task - I did this when I first started and it probably took me at least ten to twenty hours to cut all the paper, put on all the dots (5,050), and write the numerals on the back - not fun! This is why I created a version you can print out on your computer.

I would recommend getting all your materials ready before beginning, because your baby will learn at a mind-boggling speed. It will take you at most eight weeks to teach numbers one through one hundred, and in all likelihood he can easily learn it in six or even four! It’s always good to be one step ahead of your baby, so you want to start ahead and stay ahead!

Hope this helps - I really need to put together at least some kind of questions and answers forum on this math program because so many people keep asking about it, and I’m afraid I’m leaving stuff out. But as for now if you can, check out the book How to Teach Your Baby Math by Glenn Doman from your local library or you can get it on Amazon.com for around $10.