Labeling objects at home

My husband and I were talking about labeling stuff around the home. Right now I tour my baby around our house and I tell her what it is in English and Spanish, but we were thinking that it may help with her reading skills if we place tags with the words in both languages on the actaul “thing”.

I would like to know if anybody has done this, if it worked or maybe get feedback from some of the experts that are part of the site.

Thanks!

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/putting-names-on-everything!/

Thank you so much for the link. This is exactly what I was looking for.

thanks for the link, I had some lables put on but realised that the font is still small, so I need to make bigger fonts , also something I realised is that I should write everything in “waterproof marker” or cover it with transparent tape especially things around the kitchen…haha, I also use both languages on the same object as the script is very different , my child has shown interest in both the names and keeps on pointing out words so I can read them for her.

Wow, i like the thaught of labelling, it never struck my mind to do something so creative.
But wanted to know, was these labels kept permanent on the object, so when you had visitors over would you still have the labels on / off…

Also, how do you label on smaller objects like shower head, wall clock etc…

I think you can use double sided tape or sticky tack to stick them around. So if you had visitors and wanted to remove them, it wouldn’t be hard.

Thanks,
and what about smaller objects, how do you label on smaller objects like shower head, wall clock etc…

I did this when my kids were infants. [They are both obscenely early readers.] My friends and neighbors thought I was nuts. Now they think my kids are geniuses. As my mother in law used to say, you can’t plant cabbage and get corn! lol

I think the truth of the matter is that kids learn what you expose them to, geniuses or not.

This is the philosophy that led us to develop the Trebellina DVD (to teach babies music and to read musical notes) that Brillkids is so graciously informing people of.

I used smaller labels with an arrow. I never did the showerhead. Too messy.

Thanks for the information on the Trebellina. I was reading this thread and did not know what that was, but am specially interested in that.

Not to change the subject, but look up at the top of your screen where it says “Get Discounts from Crfistofori on Trebellina Products.” That will get more information and a coupon.

Just a quick question. Does anybody know if it matters to do the labeling in capital or lower case letters?

Good link.

When visitors came, we removed the stick ons and put in a plastic folder with many plastic sheets, so the glue was intact, re-usable.

We have free labels available at www.monkisee.com. Just click on Freebies on the right side. They are all lowercase in a large red font. You can even laminate them if you want them to last longer. It is a great way to teach your child to read new words around the house.

Krista
View my blog at www.teachingbabytoread.com

Krista,

Thank you so much for the link. These are great. I’m going to be translating the labels to spanish and I’ll send you the link so it can be included in your freebess in the website.

Joha

Excellent! Thank you!

thanks for the link. :biggrin:

Joha,

That is awesome of you! I’d love to see those. You could also (in addition to) upload them to the BrillKids site. If you do, post back here and I’ll get them right away.

:yes:

I sure will. I’ll work on those this weekend and I’ll post them here as an attachment. :smiley:

Thank you guys for the links. You know so much. I will not know these without these references.

We have visitors every now and then so I still don’t label objects at home. When they knew that I am teaching my son to read and teaching him math, i got the feeling that they see me crazy, weird, and have heard so many comments. That’s why having labels of objects at home for sure will make me the talk of the town lol lol lol . ( but of course I think they’ve already been talking about my son too about his abilities like reading at the age of 2, which even themselves told me that they have not seen a 2 y/o reading before) So I think, I would just tour my son around the house then I will carry the words with me and show him the corresponding word/name of the particular object. :slight_smile:
I hope this will work too.