Labeling objects at home

Hi Everyone,

The labes are ready to be downloaded under the foreing flash card printout section in the Spanish folder. They are in both English and Spanish. They are ready to be printed. We just cut them and laminated them so they will last for a while.

Let me know if anybody has any suggestions. I can change and add some very easily.

Krista, if you like then and work for you, please feel free to use them in your monkysee website.

Thanks Joha,

Where exactly can I find them?

Krista,

Under “Free Downloads” go to Flash Card Printouts under Foreing Language Downloads. It is in the Spanish folder. They are divided by rooms in the house and a file of general objects.

Let me know if you can’t find them.

Also, you can go to the Free Downloads Home and search for “labels” and all the files will come up.

What kind of stick ons did you use? I used some double 3m patch and they really stick to everything and once I try to remove them half of the patch doesn’t come off :mad:

For the other people that want to do this, I would recomend to use matte lamimator pouches intead of the glossy. I did the glossy and once everything is up it reflects a little bit. :dry:

You can try TACK-IT by Faber Castell. The following website show how it looks like.

http://www.faber-castell.in/35252/Products/PlayingLearning/Tack-It/default_news.aspx

I’m going to try that. Thank you so much for the info!

Ok, the labels have been around my home for a couple of weeks now and my baby seems to be loosing interest. Does any one know how long we should leave the labels up? Should we remove them and put them up again in a couple of months?

If I had to do it all over again, I would not put all the labels at once, but every day I would be adding a new label, this may keep the baby interested for a long period of time.

Reminds me of my classroom at school. After a while the posters and things on the wall just become a part of the environment. That’s why I have to keep changing them to keep the students interested. Sometimes I have the students help me. I shoot to change once a month but at least seasonally. I’d do it more often but I just don’t have the time.

What if you take them all down for say a week or so… Then pick only 5 - maybe one for each room of your house and leave those up for a week. Then take those 5 down and put up 5 more the next week. Keep doing this every week. You know how kids are excited when something they haven’t seen for a while comes back - they are like “Oh yeah, I REMEMBER That.”. I would just keep doing that again and again.

Then once your daughter is old enough to walk well - then each week you could play a game. First getting her to retrieve the ones hanging up. “Go get the word for bed.” And then lay out the 5 new words on the floor and tell her, “Get the word for refrigerator. GOOD! Now go hang it up on the refrigerator.” Etc.

So I’m thinking you could also do some of the stuff that teachers do in their classrooms but maybe in your daughter’s room. You could do the months and days of the week, and the date. You could change for holidays. You could hang up nursery rhymes and the alphabet. Don’t forget pocket charts. These are great for sentence strips and poems. Lots of these things can be found at teacher supply stores. All of these usually have words and numbers on them. I usually start off the morning with calendar time - “Today is Tuesday, April 14, 2009.” I have a student change the date on the calendar. Anyhow, they all are print in the classroom and can all be done at home too.

You could also make the words into a book. Put a word on one page and a picture of the item on the other page. Those are fun for babies. You could do the same thing with LR or a Power Point Presentation.

I would consider the words to be retired and just review them from time to time. You could also make them into couplets. For example, you can have silver refrigerator, black couch, wood table, etc…

If your baby were excited about them forever, then you should be concerned. Just be creative and think of ways you can still use the words your baby has learned. You can also get sentence strips and a pocket chart. I have this in my baby’s room and they are wonderful. You can create sentences such as:

I sit on the black couch.
Open the refrigerator, please.

Your baby will learn these words as you point to each one while you read the sentences. You can also you a chalk board or dry erase board to write sentences as well. I have lots of teaching ideas on my blog at www.teachingbabytoread.com

Jaluitgirl and Krista,

Thank you so much to both of you these are great ideas! To do the couples, do you use the same “cards” or do you create a whole new card with the two words?

Krista,

I’ll be looking at your blog later today, thanks for sharing. Just one last questions, how do you manage to do all this and also have a blog??? :blink: Impressive!

Hello Joha,

You don’t need to create a separate card unless you want to. You can just lay your cards side-by-side. This way you can mix them up and even get silly.

My husband and I launched our business last year. We make products to help parents teach their babies to read. Our websites are www.monkisee.com and www.intellbaby.com. I have the blog so I can share what I have learned in all the years I have been teaching my kids.

I use pointing as the main way of teaching my 2 year old to read. I am constantly showing her words wherever we see them. We read the toothpaste, the juice bottle, the egg carton, you name it. I believe that if we show our babies words, they will learn to read.

Krista,

Thank you so much for your reply and all the helpful information in it. I’ll definetly check the website later today.

My pleasure :slight_smile:

Krista, I realized that you didn’t include microwave in your labels. I think that is much more common than some of the other words included.

Thank You Friends for your great tips on labelling. I even downloaded the labels form www.monkisee.com given by one of our friends here. It is really useful.

I will be sure to add that when we revise and add more. Thanks for mentioning that :slight_smile:

In case you can’t find them easily. Here are the attachments. FYI I juts tour my home and included the labels of things that we have and we could label.

Hope it works you most people :slight_smile:

You can only attach 4 files, so this is the continuation from the previous reply. Here is the file with labels with general words around the house, meaning things that you don’t necessarily find in a specific room. :slight_smile: