Is anyone using iPad for kids?

Hello!

We just bought yesterday an iPad for our 5 year old. We are very excited because it has a lot of educational applications for kids. They even have some applications for babies, like flashcards, ABCs, colors and shapes, animals, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has an iPad that are using as an educational tool for kids, and if you can recommend any good educational applications.

And for the Brillkids Team, do you have any plans on making an application in the near future for iPads?

Thanks!!

hello
i am from germany.
i was going to buy the kindle dx but waited a little bit and the the ipad was introduced.
so i “decided” to buy the ipad but i never was 100 percent sure if i should.
now after the idea for using ipad for baby edication im 100 percent sure.

which apps are u using?

I used the iPhone for the educational kids apps for my son

My little boy, now 4, begs me to get the iPod out so he can play with various things on it, most of them educational. KidCalc is my favorite educational app. Our iPad will soon arrive. But, you know, I know from personal experience that this sort of thing is insidious. The question is, do we want to spend so much of our lives staring at screens? I don’t care if it’s TV, computer screens showing the Internet, video games, or handhelds which combine all three of these…their siren call is seductive and must be resisted, or else we end up being drawn in and endlessly distracted. This is true of far too many young people today, including myself (age 41).

Your child will learn most from books, and books look less and less attractive the more a child plays with the attractive bells & whistles of iThingies. I was in Portland, Oregon recently and went to Powell’s. Book-lover’s heaven. I barely got started and still bought $110 worth of used kids’ books. We don’t read everything I buy–well, eventually, I guess we do, there’s only a few things that go unread long-term–but the high availability of attractive books

Definitely. Will be looking this sooner rather than later. It’s almost the perfect tool for what we do!

KL, I couldn’t agree more.

My baby uses my iPhone every time and at 1.5 yrs old she can navigate the iPad on her own. There’s a lot of apps for her. Just press free toddler/educational games for free apps. But for paid apps we bought the one created by duck duck moose. They have old McDonald, itsy bitsy spider, the wheels on the bus. Free apps like baby sitter, abc phonics, abc swap flashcard, balloons, ibabybuddy, letter quiz, baby flash cards, abc trace lite, Disney, dress chica, farm friends, doodle buddy, coloring, letter peek, baby piano, koi pond, 123 color, tozzle lite, itotcards, 1st alphabet, my first words, fw animals, learn to talk, Elias zoo, kid’s zone, balloonimals, peekaboo, preschool tap, I hear ewe are some of the free apps she enjoyed.

There do seem to be quite a few decent baby apps, but not so many for the stage my son is at now (age 4)…

Found a great dot-to-dot app yesterday. Kid got very excited about it. Good for reinforcing numbers up to 20-30, and even the order of letters in the alphabet. Hey just because he can do some sums and can read very well, that doesn’t mean this more basic stuff still doesn’t need reinforcement too.

I am now planning to make a giant souped-up “DadDude reader”–like my presentations, but much bigger and better. My essay will be used to announce this.

I told Henry this–I said, “I’m going to make a new website. It will have all the ‘books for Henry’ [that is what we call them] and many, many more, and it will be even better.” His reply: “No, Papa, don’t put it on the computer. Make it an app.” Already a technical designer and business consultant!

Wowwwwww. So young and navgating ¡¡¡¡
What Ipad would you recomend if its going to be used a lot by a child.?
Where do you buy applications and are they expensive?

http://www.rhovs.com/_/rsrc/1294484910722/home/App1_ICON2_128X128.png
Try this nice app for teaching good habits to kids:

Link to iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/in/app/little-steps-to-good-habits/id411404110?mt=8

‘Little Steps to Good Habits’ is a storybook series with adorable characters that help your children learn some of the good and essential habits. If kids got to learn the habits (and they do), this is a good way to do it.

Features:

• Four interactive stories with real life scenarios.
  • Stories that kids can relate to and learn.
  • Parents can record their own voice to narrate or teach.
  • ‘Read it to Me’ feature has voice that can narrate story to kids.
  • Excellent use of colors and illustrations in HD (High Definition).

Sorry, maybe a beginner´s questions, but would be good to know the following:

I got excited by all those applications for ipad listed in another tread and had a look at one in the shops today…Isn´t it a big disadvantage that they only offer 64GB and you cannot insert any memory card/usb stick??
How do you use all those educational apps for the ipad - all just online from the website? I mean with 64GB you hardly have space on the ipad to download them I would imagine or am I mistaken?

Thanks for helping me getting started.

ISA

I am planning to buy ipad but not decided yet.
I am thinking will it be ok for a small screen like an iad have for the baby because currently i am connectining my laptp to the TV which is 40 inches to show the ppt .

Will it be ok for the baby from 40 inches to an iad. I am still not sure about it.

Just a reminder that you can now use LR on the iPad:

http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/little-reader-available-on-the-ipad-today!/

i have tried using the ipad with my daughter and i can tell you that it’s a daily battle. i mean that literally, i have to pry it from her fingers. there is always drama. if i let her see the flashcards holding the ipad, she immediately turns it off by touching the off button. so, this is something the people who haven’t gotten an ipad and are thinking about it should consider. is your child easily convinced or is he or she hands on. it has gotten so bad that i have returned to manually made flashcards which were a lot easier to control.

Volume 2 released for Little Step to Good Habits.

Link to iTunes for iPad (vol2): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/little-steps-to-good-habits/id434217352?mt=8

Link to iTunes for iPhone (vol2): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/little-steps-to-good-habits/id434218900?mt=8

My 19 month old uses the ipad… he’s been using it since he was 15 months old. He can turn it on via the home button, swipe the bar, and push play on his movies. He’s always been into electronics since 12 months, and this just seemed natural for him to use. We bought ours with accidental insurance incase of any "accidents’ we’re covered. He’s delicate with his, and never mistreats it. I am in love with all Callaway Digital arts apps. They make the most amazing “read out loud” storybooks.

1. Miss Spider’s Tea Party
  2. Miss Spider BedTime Story
  3. Grover - The monster at the end of the book
  4. both Thomas the Train apps
  5. Angelina Ballerina

If you also buy DVD’s with a digital copy you can download your digital copy into itunes and type in code # in the DVD you can also watch your kids movies in the ipad.

happymommy,

thanks for the info. how do you know if a dvd comes with a digital copy? is it on the dvd cover?

We love the iPad (and iPhone). Both my sons learn so much playing on them. But I have to agree with DadDude. These things are insidious and it can get scary the amount of time the kids can spend on it. My younger son is a lot more technology crazy than my older son, but he is only 18 months. I am glad that I taught him to read, because now he actually enjoys looking at books and will spend the morning flipping through his brother’s books.

It is amazing how much my younger son has learned just by observation. He used to get me to help him write the letters on iWriteWords. It was wonderful watching his fine motor skills develop - he went from watching me write the letters and numbers to being assisted (I hold his hand) to writing all the vertical strokes on his own, then he was writing all the straight lines. Now, at 18 months, he’s writing most of it himself - he only struggles with the curved letters like “e” and “s” on the iPhone because everything is so much smaller but on the iPad, he can do it on his own.

He likes the Montessori apps - we’re working on the 100 board. There are some shape/colour/size matching apps that he enjoys. He’s also learning to spell by matching the letters.

I’ve been doing flash cards with him since he was three (first Doman cards then Little Reader and Little Math), but he has never really shown me what he has learned until recently when he read the words “duck” and “dog” from the iPad.

I have to echo lizaveta, though. With the iPad, the kids have full control over it. I cannot make them look at apps they don’t want to because they’ll just hit the home button and choose the ones they want. I make sure that I never put any apps I don’t want them playing with but it also means I don’t have much control over what they decide they want to play. My younger son is very curious, although he enjoys looking at flash cards on the computer, he won’t look at them on the iPad.

Isa - we have 32GB and don’t seem to have any issues with memory so far…