Infant Stimulation Cards

Hello everyone!

I would just like to ask about your experience using Infant Stimulation Cards. I am a first time mother, and I was able to read about the benefits of high-contrast images to baby’s brain development. I was fortunate to have found free infant stimulation flash cards here, and since my little one has just turned 4 months old, I am making some more to show my baby.

Are there any guidelines as to how the shapes should be? :mellow: I hope that you can help me out.

Thank you very much!

• Stef

That’s an interesting question! I am wondering also, when should we stop using the infant stimulation cards and move on to flash cards? when the baby is bored? or is there a minimum age or something?

I used infant stimulation cards a lot when my baby was born. I read some books about them, I downloaded some and I created some myself. It is recommended to use only black and white paterns. I created a wallpaper from these stimulation images - I enlarge and printed each image on letter size paper and glue them together and hung it on the wall next to the place where I was changing my baby-girl. I created black and white cubes and other solids and hung them all over the place. I printed different smaller images in lines to decorated our room. I created smiley face and showed it to her very often moving slowly from one side to other so she could follow it with her eyes. Later on it is recommended to add red color - it is highly contrast as well. So I printed black-white-red wall poster and later on, when it is recommended to add more colors I did so. I even colored the black and white poster for her. My doughter loved everything from the beginning. I attached some pictures so you have better idae what I am talking about.

Wow, awesome work, Martina! You’re so dedicated!!! Hats off to you!! (karma point too! :D)

I would just add that if you want to make your own, have each pattern in a pair. Do one pattern, and then a similar one which is slightly different. That way, the difference would interest them more. eg,. one has many thin stripes, and the other has thick stripes. etc.
and you can also start bringing in differences in color too.

Thank you KL. :slight_smile:
It was my first time beeing pregnant so I was so excited about everything I could do to stimulate my baby. And I had time during time of being pregnant and I did not have to take care of another baby so I spent time preparing for the baby, reading books, making cubes and posters with baby stimulation pictures and so on.
I hope others can get inspired of many possibilities how stimulation cards can be used. :smiley:

Wow Pupisek !! :smiley: I love what you have done ! The first baby is always a great opportubity to do as much as you can ! I’m inspired :wink:

Yes Noha, and you have great advantage - you will be very well prepared when you decide to have a baby. I wish I knew everything I know now before my baby was born… :frowning:

I think you are doing great already Pupisek :yes:

Great job Pupisek! I’m really inspired :slight_smile: Though I didn’t get the chance to do such a thing to my baby, perhaps I can do it to my next baby when God blesses me with another one :slight_smile: For now, just enjoy teaching the first one.

Thanks for sharing!

Diana

You are welcome :blush: everyone. I am glad I could pass my enthusiasm to you and may be also inspire you. I will definitely do the same with my second child (after I decide to get pregnant again - probably very soon) :wink:

I didnt know much about these cards except they stimulated those brain connections to happen so I used a fold-out book of black-n-white contrasting patterns from Dr Miriam Stoppards Baby Play & Learn pack (www.dk.com) which I bought at a 2nd hand baby stuff shop.
I folded it out and put it down the side of Azaria’s bassinette, so it was close enough to see when she was newborn. I just rotated it a bit so she’d see a different image each time.

Where did you download them from? I’ve been searching and can’t find any… I had a few for our first baby, but that was a decade ago, and they’ve long ago been lost. I’d love to have another set for our newborn!

I can not find the original website where I downloaded some of the pictures I used. (I edited them in Photoshop and create many different ones myself). I uploaded some pictures that I downloaded and saved on my computer: http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=view;id=782
Do not forget about Brill Baby Infant Stimulation Cards http://www.brillkids.com/download/index.php
and about RightBrainKids (Wink and Tweedlewink programs) free flashcards (you have to register do be able to download) http://www.rightbrainkids.com/content/view/144/120/
There are other resources on the internet where you can download free infant stimulation cards, for example: http://babystrology.com/baby-learning/infant-visual-stimulation/

thank you!!! You’re awesome!

Oh, and I’d just like to add that you may also download these infant stimulation cards from our File Downloads Area, here in the forum!
http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=48

lol

Thank you very much Pupisek for the links, and thank you to BrillKids for all the free downloads! Pupisek, what you have done for your baby is just inspiring, I will be doing the same for my baby! :clown:

Wow, great work you have there, Pupisek! You’re really an epitome of a BrillMom! :biggrin: Now I wish I had done the same when my baby was younger :mellow: But anyways, thanks for sharing this. That was really inspiring! :wink:

Owesome!

At what age should we start using these flash cards and stimulation cards

When should we teach them to write?

What is the apt age to start teaching them ?Wont they be bored by this?

WOW - Pupsiek - the effort you have put into your child’s nursery is amazing. The b&w stimulation pictures look fantastic. Love the face frieze. Will definitely download them!! Thank-you so much for sharing what you can do to a nursery to help stimulate your infant.

Impressive! :ohmy: At what age did you stop showing these cards?