HOMESCHOOLING CONTEST: Create a Monthly Theme Unit!

Join the HOMESCHOOLING CONTEST: Create a Monthly Theme Unit!

THEME: Backyard Friends

DESCRIPTION: Contest is for the creation of a theme unit for early learners. The theme is anything that has to do with the farm, backyard animals, etc.

DURATION: Begins November 29th, 2010 Ends January 31st, 2011

JUDGES: me (motherofaith), KL, Lappy, and Kezia

JUDGING: We will announce the winners on February 28th, 2011

CRITERIA FOR JUDGING:

1) creativity 
 2) suitability for the early learner 
 3) content

MANDATORY CONTENT:

• LR and/or Power Point (ppt) file
  • 3 Activity Pages that include:math, reading, and spelling
  • Flashcards or Word Wall file
  • 2 games Activity pages
  • e-book file

FILE FORMATS:

LR, pdf, doc, ppt (formats that can be uploaded on Brillkids)

PRIZES: 1000 points for those who join, 7000 points to the winner

Here’s how to join the Monthly Theme Unit Content: :happy:

1) Everyone can join. You can submit more than 1 unit. You can be a partner in other units. You must use your original work.
 2) Review the Mandatory content. It is mandatory but not limited to the content. Meaning you can add more than what is mandatory.
 4) Create original content in the file formats
 5) Upload content (BrillKids Uploader Page) Make sure to remember the file name.
 6) Join by posting [url=http://forum.brillkids.com/homeschooling/contest-monthly-theme-unit/][u][b]in this thread[/b][/u][/url]

Want to see a sample? Download the attached file! :yes: For questions, write on this thread or PM our homeschooling board moderator, mother of faith!

Here are a few pictures of my samples.

Here are some ideas for the farm unit http://prekinders.com/farm-theme/#print and http://www.pre-kpages.com/farm/

I thought the ideas that you presented for your theme were very interesting and good. Keep up with those good ideas :yes:

Thank you for the word of encouragement.

Also for those of you wondering what ‘original work’ meant regarding the clip art imgaes. You can use any clip art images that you like. They do not have to be original only the created work content itself. I am also if anyone wants my clipart going to upload the clip art images into the LM downloads of icons to use, so if you are interested you can find them there. That is if I can get them all on there without causing a problem. If not then I will upload some here in the thread.

Thanks for the great questions and replies.

Since some do not have LM I will post the clipart some on here and email to those who request them.

Nice job, I will love create some but know I am out of time… Congratulations :wink:

Here are some clipart to start with. regrading the copyright issues…I purchased the clipart that I could resale or reuse so everyone can use it for this and other educational projects.

Here are some more clip art

Hi Mother of faith, this looks like fun!!

Would this include insects or birds?

Thanks Tabs

This looks like fun! I will love to participate…thinking about it.

You know I didn’t think about the insects…as long as it has to do with the farm type them, like a fly on a pig or on a horse or a fly eating corn or a tobacco worm. Even the crows on the corn and scarecrow would be a good one to. As long as it has to do with the farm or farming. Good question…

I uploaded a pdf for SET 1 of clipart you are welcome to use. Theme Unit CONTEST set 1. It is located in the DOWNLOADS (activities for English) and now there is Theme Unit CONTEST set 2 downloaded for you to use. All you have to do is download the pdf files, open them, then right mouse click on the picture you want, then choose copy, then right mouse click to paste the picture to where ever you want. Remember this clipart is for non-commercial use, and do not sale the clipart please. The clipart game from http://www.digiwebstudio.com/store/ and http://digiscrapkits.com/digiscraps/

I would love to participate. I have some ideas but I don’t know how to prepare them. Is there any tutorial available somewhere?

I would like to get answer to questions like: How to create templates for a theme? How to paste real pictures and some words into the template?

I have a lot of ideas for subject but my technical side is not so good.

Please help!

marta

I use power point for my creations. If you don’t have power point then you can use the free version of openoffice. You can download it for free at www.openoffice.org
To place a picture into your template then right mouse click on the photo click copy then right mouse click onto your template and click paste or you can use in the power point program the insert tab.

Another suggestions is if you own a printer to print your pictures off and then just draw your template instead of using a computer. This is how I ust to do everything before I had a computer. You can type the words or sentences and then paste them into the template once the template is completed then just scan it if you have a scanner or take a picture of it to post on BK.

You might can search youtube to find a tutorial on how to use power point. I can probably do one tonight when the kids are asleep for you if you have power point on your computer? You can do it in word but it takes a while. Do you have openoffice? Let me know which one so I can make a quick tutorial.

mother of faith,
Thank you for your replay. I have power point.

How you create templates in power points though? If I understand correctly what template means :wink:

Marta

I have uploaded a power point file template for everyone to use, just replace the clipart to your own, add your own touch to it to include it in your unit, get creative with it and have fun. Looking foward to seeing all of the ideas that can come from this.

MotherofFaith
Where do we upload our versions? and How many versions do you allow per parent?

Thanks
indidee

Thank you for the great job Mother of Faith! :slight_smile:

You upload your version here on BK, either in the downloads section or right here under your post is fine. You have as many versions as you want and help others as well by combining versions and so on. Remember to save the file name so you can post it here for the contest.

CONTEST ENDS January 31st! Just a reminder. :biggrin: