Homemade Jones Geniuses Matrix Math Manipulatives

I finished the majority of the project. I created some homemade matrix math manipulatives using wooden letters & golf tees. I assigned each one a color and photocopied, colored, and laminated an extra set of flash cards to match. For my young daughter (22 months) the fun colors created some visual interest for her. I wasn’t 100% happy with the number font I chose because some like the “8” are not shaped equally on all sides making it difficult to drill into the thinner wood without splintering. It would have been better to find a “flat” font with no raised edges making it easier to drill into. Also, it would have been better to have a 6 & 9 that look differant, more like the flashcards. But, I did the best I could with what I had.

Materials-
Wooden Numbers 0-9
9 paint colors & matching markers
paint brush
golf tees
laminating contact paper
sand paper (I cut the golf tees shorter and used sandpaper to smooth the peg’s bottom)
spray clear coat sealant

I still plan to make a wooden block with holes drilled in it to store all of the pegs. This is more for my purposes to I will know if any pegs are missing when we put away “numbers” as DD likes to call them. The pegs are a choke hazard for my young 9month old so I need a way to keep track of them. That is the last thing I have to do. I plan to use my labelmaker to label the block where to put the pegs with the corresponding written word as well as the numeral to reinforce reading & word recognition.

They are not perfect, but my daughter likes to “play numbers” with them so I am satisfied with the way that they turned out.

:slight_smile:

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

L & O Mom!

They’re beautiful! So eye catching! Thank you for posting your pictures!

Thats a fantastic job you did! Thanks for sharing your great idea :wink:

Hey those look great!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback! I figured since I would be using all of my programs with two kids it might be worthwhile to invest a small amount of time and money to enhance the program with something hands on.

Very well made. Thanks for your inspirations.

Very brilliant creations. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent idea. Gets my creative juices flowing. Challenge to self: Must come up with something using what I have lurking around…and then post pics.

Nikita- After the fact, I thought I could have used some chunks of wood, possibly painted them all a uniform colored base coat, traced/stenciled/painted a number on each block, drilled the holes, and then finished with a clear coat. The benefit of doing it this way was that I could have used the actual JG shaped numbers. If you traced the original flashcards the numbers would be pretty big and heavy (I guess depending on the thickness of the wood) but you could always reduce them on the copier down to 75% of actual size or so. Then cut out each number and trace it onto the wooden blocks. So the small details would be the same like the exact shape of the JG #'s, including the number 9 (rather than having a 6 and 9 look the same like so many fonts out there.) The other benefit is that they would be easier to store.

I like mine in the fact that DD can feel the actual shape of the number in her little hands, but the other way would have it’s benefits too. I also thought about using one long piece of wood so the numbers would always be in the correct sequence. (like a long wooden number line with pegs). That would involve less sawing for sure. Ultimately, for me convenience and laziness won out in the end.

That’s what I’m planning on doing. I think I mentioned this idea in the other JG thread. In fact, I’ve got my dad on the hunt for some of his scrap wood that I can use. I’ll be doing separate squares. I think it will be more sanding, but better for doing more and less activities and ordering skills…plus, a little less unwieldy for my son to take out and put back on his own than one long board.

yes, you did, thank you for jogging my brain! I certainly wasn’t trying to take credit for your idea. Just had a mommy-brain moment I guess after watching my daughter put the six and nine side by side for the millionth time and declare “baby nine!” while pointing at the 6 as I sat there and wished they looked a bit more different. It’s a total distraction!

lol no need to apologize, L&O’s Mom lol Ideas come from all kinds of places - and end up being the same!

I think I mentioned somewhere that I got some foam numbers from a number puzzle at a dollar store, well, I finally got my JG package and now know where the dots go, so, I may have a set of my own little numbers to show you all soon :slight_smile:

We have been putting stickers on our colored/laminated flashcards as of today and we started up with the magnets on the fridge as well. DD LOVES this. We also did the bingo blotter one day but went through loooots of paper. So, I thought I would share some pics.

Got the magnets at walmart for about $7.50 I think, and the stickers from Office Max for about $7 too. The white ones only came in a huge pack, I could have gotten colored ones a lot cheaper but white would show up the best on my colored flash cards.

I am going to make another set of flashcards just for the fridge. I am going to use some magnetic tape sandwiched between two flashcards and then laminated. DD is still young (just shy of 2) and it would be better if the flashcards would stick to the fridge easily. I am going to do some greater/less than signs as well as the other operational symbols because she loved doing magnets on the fridge so I am going to go with that she enjoys.

And my sister just gave me a flat puzzle with numbers 0-9 (no pegs) that will lend itself to the matrix as well, so I am going to convert it with paint, hole punched dots, and some sealant. I am a big believer in “layering” the exposure to reinforce and enhance, and it certainly can’t hurt to see the matrix in multiple situations.

LandOMom,

Those look great! I love the magnetic buttons idea! :smiley: I am curious how you are introducing/teaching her the concepts of greater than/less than? Do you just explain it to her in words or do you use manipulatives as well?

I haven’t started to yet, but my plan is to make some homemade books (and maybe even a home video similar to Dr. Titzer’s YBCR beta video) with greater/less than demonstrated through toys and things around the house, along with some fridge work. I might make a greater/less than alligator that is magnetized that eats the bigger number, I’m not sure yet, but she loved the magnets so I am thinking that is the ticket for her. Basically showing, demonstrating, and explaining. Please tell me if you have a better plan, that is all I can come up with!

We count stairs every time we go up or down, and count food on her tray at every meal (you have two pieces of cheese, mommy just gave you one more, how many do you have now?), and then other random things as we come across during the day, counting toys etc. And we also use our number line sometimes.