Hairloss after birth

Just want to know how many have experience hairloss after you have given birth. How long does it last and what do you do about it. I have started shedding hair, accompanied with dandruff after 3 months of giving birth. :frowning:

i have experianced it, till today i feel no better to this problem. i change the shampoo to clinic all clear
and it stoped dandruff but hairloss never stop. so sad :frowning:

Hi!
I remember reading about this. I thought I was losing a lot of hair after birth, too. The book said that we usually shed gradually, but when we are pregnant, we stop shedding as much. But, once we give birth, our bodies begin to shed (and some times make up for the not shedding), so it seems like we lose a lot of hair. When our hormones go back to normal, our shedding should become less noticable. Dandruff is related, in that your body is adjusting. Dandruff shampoo, or going no-poo may help. (No-poo is when you ā€œwashā€ your hair with 1 Tbls baking soda mixed in 1 cup water, then rinse, then ā€œconditionā€ your hair with 1 Tbls apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 cup water, then rinse. I found out about this one because my husband was having problems with sores on his head.)

There may be other medical reasons for losing hair beyond that, especially if you think you have less hair than you had before pregnancy. Perhaps you can ask your doctor if you go back in for a visit.

It is quite common. As THen said, it is because of the hormone changes from pregnancy. You lose less hair during pregnancy, so as your hormones go back to normal, you lose the extra hair. It will eventually go back to normal, although it takes different amounts of time for everyone.

thanks people for voting. There so few votes on this subject. Made me felt as if i am the only one who have this problem. I am just freak out to see the amount of hair on the bed, floor, toilet, clothing, in fact everywhereā€¦especially during shower timer when i wash my hair, amount of hair dropped can turn into a rope! Feel so bald :blush:

For truth this is the first time i eva heard of it.wish i knew of it before.

I hope everyones Hair problem gets controlled
:slight_smile:

I havenā€™t experience this myself, however I have heard it is very common.

as erilu mention this is totally new thing 4 me too. i didnā€™t heard it before.

HIYAā€¦ i started losing my hair 4 months after having my son, i used to have very very thick hair, it is now alot thinner, I also lost alot on my temples, to the point where i had to part my hair differently as it was quite obvious. My son is now 6 months, and my hair has started to re-grow, it is about 1cm long in all the places that i lost it.
I found losing my hair very hard to deal with and did visit a doctor - who said it was due to giving birth to my son. Apparently if you have low iron, this doesnt help the situation.
I am taking iron supplements, as well as a multi vitamin & a hair and nails supplement.

So if you are stressing about your hair, it does get betterā€¦ visiting my doctor put my mind at ease and make me feel alot better.

This also happened to me especially after I finished nursing. Vitamins help and I cut my hair to lessen the weight and strengthen it. Good Luck!

I had a hair loss too during her 4 mouths. :frowning: Now getting betterā€¦ not that much 8)

i have heard of hair loss before after preg and thought it will go away sometime, but after a few months, i am still not getting betterā€¦after all these while i somehow thought it will go away eventuallyā€¦i should have gone to see a doc long timeā€¦thanks jennaleeyoung, i was very low in iron when i am pregā€¦maybe that explain my hairloss due to lack of vital vitaminesā€¦

I lost loads and loads after each baby - to the point where my husband jokes that we canā€™t have another because he canā€™t stand all the hair all over the place! It took ages to lose it all, too - maybe 3-6 months? I donā€™t really remember.

It does grow back though - donā€™t worry. I got one lot of regrowth about 6-9 months after the last baby, and now that she is nearly 2 I seem to be getting another lot (which is nice, because I was worried that my hair was going to be permanently thinner - thereā€™s only 2 years between my two, so at this point last time, I was about to have another!).

Hope all goes well!

Vicks

I started loosing my hair around three months. THen is right, youā€™re really just losing the hair that was supposed to fall out while pregnate. My mom is a Beautician and she told me :blush:

I recently got my hair cut and it has really helped with the SHEDDING! Also, my hair is a lot healthier looking because the trim really cut out the dead hair that I had not lost yet. :yes:

AI felt like a cat coughing up fur balls. There was so much hair coming out, especially when brushing or while in the shower. I havenā€™t done anything different as I read that it is just part of the pregnancy thing. My shedding is just about back to normal, but it has taken about 4-5 months.

My sis have the hair loss problem since she was 5 months after giving birth until now (her baby already 14months). Is seem getting a little bit better when she have cut her hair short. Hope everyone can get back to normal a.s.a.p. :wink:

dont worry.my wife has the same problem as you, while i read that others might not experience it at all. It all depend on your hormone i guess. Just like some experiencing morning sickness when they are preg, while some do not have such problem at all and pregnancy is like a breeze to them.

Mine started after i stopped breastfeeding and my son was about 4 months oldā€¦ you know i read a lot about pregnancy and after birth but seeing my hair all over the bathroom everytime i take a bath, wipe my hair dry, comb my hair and even when i wake up i see traces of hair in the bedā€¦ i thought for a while that i have some kind of illness but my OB told me its quitte natural though not everyone who gave birth encounterd itā€¦ i could not link it to insuffecient iron because when i was pregnant and even until i nurse my baby im still taking the supplement and vitamins with iron contentā€¦

now my son is 14months and im still experiencing hairloss though it was a bit lesser than beforeā€¦

Iā€™ve always had thin hair, but when I was pregnant it was beautiful. It all fell out at about 4 months after birth. Some cute little baby hairs grew back around my hairline a few months later, but Iā€™m still losing quite a bit. Itā€™s hard to remember pre-baby, but I think Iā€™m losing more than I used to. I sure hope I donā€™t have the same experience as some of you when I stop breast-feeding - Iā€™ll have to start wearing a hat year round! :frowning:

i had experienced this one as well. alot of my hair has fallen down and dandruff as well which was really annoying and scary, i changed shampoos several times, cut my hair, my hair was flowing when i was pregnant but as soon as i delivered Issam, it felt like it just lost its life and vibrant.

i think the best thing to do is have the hair cut or trimed and hot oil treatment in the saloon. after doing this, the hair fall was lesser compared to before i had my hair cut.