Exchange Spanish/English vocabulary

Hello dear parents!

As I have said in another post, I think that in this forum we could create a section where non-native parents share their vocabulary, especially that vocabulary about babies, please. In this forum there are a large number of people who are teaching Spanish or English, and read this forum every day. I cannot be here every day, but I think that any another native person with Spanish as mother tongue can solve your doubts.

I am from Spain. I could help people with doubts in Spanish language. Could anyone help me when my poor head cannot find a suitable translation of a Spanish sentence, please? It could be done with every language. I don´t find any part of this forum where there is a section about vocabulary, if this section exists, please say to me, and I´ll eliminate this absurd post.

I am going to share a book that I bought when I began with the first steps speaking to my LO. It is very, very simple, but it is divided into sections such as bathtime, bedtime and so on, and it is very practical, when I am unsure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIU3b48B-5E. I bought in a languages library, but you can find it in imaginarium easily.

I want to copy here some useful phrases that I have extracted from Kiddy English. Using these phrases as much as possible is a good way to create a routine in my baby´s day. Perhaps someone who is nonnative think that they are useful

There now, there now, there now…

It is nothing to cry over.
Mummy´ll tcuk you in five minutes
It´s nothing to cry over
Night-night sweet dreams
Off to bed. You look sleepy
Let´s put your pyjamas on
There you go. You are as snug as a bug in a rug… Very funny …
Shall we put some buble bath in?
Let´s scrub your hands; they´re filfthy
Let´s scrub you nice and clean
Hold on to Mummy because it is slippery
Out you get. Hold onto Daddy.
I don´t want you to catch a cold. Get dry quickly
Clear out your ears
Don´t move or I´ll hurt your
What on earth are you doing in…? I am going to use this sentence very often so that my Nuria has begun to walk … lol :wink: :mellow: :blush:

Can anybody add more useful phrases here?

Hi dear parents, I don´t know if my computer is wrong or I have done something wrong that I cannot understand, is the truth. I have just seen that 1232 have read this post since I wrote because I wanted to find native speakers who could help me when doubts about vocabulary appear over here. I have no idea. On the other hand, I wonder if so many people read it, it is because it can be interesting for some people, …

Well, I am going to share some Spanish sentences that can be interesting for those parents who use Spanish language being non-native. I also write in non native parents by mario,nnsparents, another member of this fantastic forum. I thought that here I could find,perhaps , a quicker answer to my future questions in the English language.

Anyway, here I am going to copy something that will be useful for some of you,

Spanish sentences

Es hora de irse a la cama
Mami te va a contar un cuento
Dale un beso muy fuerte a papi
Echamos espuma en la bañera para que se bañe nuestro patito de goma
Se puede saber que estás haciendo ahí?
Mami te meterá en la cama y te arropará en cinco minutos
No te preocupes,solo era una pesadilla. Ya ha pasado. Vuélvete a dormir.Mamá se quedará contigo.
Si no dejas de salpicar, te sacaré del agua.
No te muevas o te puedo hacer daño.
Vamos a frotarte lasmanosestán muy sucias.
Te voy a desenredar el pelo con el peine
Dentro de nada, vas a poder andar.
Pronto empezarás a gatear
Quieres la chupa?/el chupete
Eres un solecito.
No te metas eso en la boca!
Ya casi te mantienes de pie, tú solito
Well, if any answer, see you, have a nice day

Everybody reading and nobody answer, better a post with no reading. :frowning: Well, perhaps it is helpful for one person, then it is ok. :yes:

I only pretended an exchange of vocabulary, if somebody interested, send me a private message

:slight_smile:

Hola nuria! Como estas? No dije gracias por esto pagina de los forums, pero “gracias!”. Esta pagina va a ser utilizmo a todos que quieren hablar mejor espano!

I hope that I got that (mostly) right… I’m trying to say:
Hi Nuria! How are you? I didn’t say thanks for this thread (pagina de los forums) but “THANKS” This page is going to be very useful to everyone that wants to speak better Spanish.

I am still trying to read and understand that Spanish sentences that you gave, I almost have them all. (I think.) I will PM you with my understanding of them when I am done.

I wanted to ask you: Que es la diferencia entre ‘gemelos’ y ‘mellizos’?

Also, I’m going to figure out how to type Spanish characters before my next post…

Thank you for the post Nuria2012. I needed those helpful phrases. I am going to try and work in two of those phrases in everyday this week.

Hi mom2bee, “gemelos” are identical twins (monozygotic), while “mellizos” are fraternal twins (dizygotic, no more alike than other brothers and sisters).
Hope that helps!

Hi dear parents!

I thought that it had been a mistake the fact of writing this post,but I can see, finally, that other people are interested in this exchange of vocabularies.

Mon2bee,

I´m fine thank you. I suppose that I want me to translate the sentences Hello… ¡Hola Nuria! ¿Cómo estás? ¿Qué tal/qué tal estás? Please, if you don´t understand any sentence or word, say to me. Perhaps, I cannot answer immediately after, but I will try to do it. Anyway, there are more mothers who speak my native language. I will like to find here or in another website http://www.nnsparents.com/ a specific place for non-native parents can solve doubts about vocabulary, and so on. In nnsparents, you will find me as well. It is a very new forum that a member of brillkids has created five months ago, perhaps. Well, althoug my knowledge of English language is good, I have not spoken to other people in the English language, except via skype, since three years. And it is not very good, especially if you want your LO to be a bilingual person in the future. For instance, yesterday afternoon I had to go to the doctor because my LO had to be VACUNADA. Therefore, she had to PONERSE UNA INYECCIÓN. I find the matter of vocabulary sometimes a little difficult. I know that I can have a look at my bilingual to find the suitable translations, but sometimes it is not possible a total literal translation. I know that in this forum there are bilingual people who master both languages, English and Spanish, perfectly, perhaps there is someone who can help Spanish people and viceversa.

I can see that another member of this fantastic forum has solved your doubt about the difference between gemelos and mellizos. :clown:

Another topic that I have to study is the vocabulary of the car. I am not sure how to say `asientos delanteros, traseros… back seats, volante,…

That is the reason of this post.

Hi cokers, I am happy that my phrases can help you. What I do is copying some useful sentences and put them , for instance, on the fridge to make use of them for a week or a pair of weeks. When I have all the sentences in my memory, I will try to copy more. I have done this only three times. I could have been more consistent.

Nplight, thank you very much.

Creo que sólo he dejado el link de el huevo de chocolate en http://www.nnsparents.com/ (Mario´s forum). Aquí les dejo este interesante link también para aquellos interesados en una inmersión linguística del español. Sorry I have written in Spanish, because it is good for those who are teaching Spanish. http://www.elhuevodechocolate.com/

I would be very grateful if someone could send me a link with something similar in English for my LO. It would be wonderful!!!

Una expresión que se usa en España, cuando un niño se cae en el suelo y se hace daño es: “Sana, sana, culito de rana, si no se te cura hoy, se te curará mañana” My mother used to say to me this, when I fell down. :biggrin: Did you use similar expressions in your English language? Could you help us?

Don’t know any Spanish. But…
When my kids fall I say " oopsy daisy, up you get" then " do you need a cuddle?"

In the car useful phrases
" I will open the door"
" in your car seat you go"
“Lets put on your seat belt…lift you arm…click”
“Lets go for a drive”
“Where are we going today? " " we are going to the…(supermarket/shops/library)”
“We are here!”
“Time to get out now”

Hi Mandabplus, thank you very much for your useful sentences that I will have to take into account.

I love the first one “oopsy daisy, up you get”, but a question OOPSY DAISY means…

I would like to find more funny rhymes like this. It will be my first one to repeat over and over again!!! I suppose you will have said it hundreds of times so that you have three kids!! Yesterday I have bought a homeophatic product that people state it is very good when my toddler falls down. She began to walk almost a month ago. She began to walk on 14th July, a great day in America and in Nuria´s house. lol

Here I will write more useful sentences in Spanish. Topic Dressed and ready

Buenos días,mi amor!
Cómo ha dormido mi niño/a?
¿Te has hecho caca?
Voy a limpiarte el culito bottom
Voy a ponerte un poco de crema en el culete bottom porque está un poco rojo
Estás divino!
Eres un angelito!
Estás babeando mucho dribbling
Pronto te saldrán los dientecitos
Quieres tu mordedor? teethingring. A Nuria, mi hija, no le gustan los mordedores…
Espera un momento, te voy a poner la cadena al chupete para que no se te caiga
Quieres un poco de agua?
Vamos a abrigarte que hoy hace mucho frío
Te voy a poner un poquito de colonia para que huelas a gloria.

I hope these sentences help people who are speaking to their children in the English language.

Nuria:
Oopsy Daisy doesn’t mean anything really. Oopsy comes from “Oops” which is the sound you make when something drops, some one falls, any minor accident happens. It doesn’t mean anything. Daisy is a flower and sometimes its used as a name for a girl, but as far as I know, the “Daisy” referred to in the common phrase “oopsy daisy” doesn’t mean anything. Just a sound/word in the phrase.

Thanks for the thread. dH who is a native Spanish speaker is absolutely useless for translations. God bless him. The problem is when I look things up he and his family then make fun of me because that’s not how they say it intheir country. I don’t care though we don’t live in their country. :wink: Most Spanish speaking people around here are from Mexico and central america anyway. So it is fine if my guy learns other ways of saying things. I just dont want them to make fun of my son because I am afraid he will get discouraged. They are not mean about it. they just tease.

For car seats there is the front seat, back seat, driver’s seat, passenger’s seat, driver’s side and passenger’s side. The maletera is the trunk. The kid’s seat s simply a car seat, for older kids they use a booster seat. The car’s lights are called head lights. what are they in Spanish?

I can’t think of anything else to add.

Ok, mon2bee, lol lol I´ll try to use it, although it is a little difficult, I will copy it in a piece of paper and I will put it on the fridge. If a child can learn the Periodic Table, will be able to do it, won´t I???

mybabyian, it is very often that literal translation from a language into another create meaningless sentences… for this reason, it is good that we will able to help us. :clown: In America and in Spain there are many differences, and it is good and more interesting, different cultures have different structures, words, expresions…
Thank you for the vocabulary. Now it s my turn.

For car seats there is the front seat, back seat, driver’s seat, passenger’s seat, driver’s side and passenger’s side. The maletera is the trunk. The kid’s seat s simply a car seat, for older kids they use a booster seat. The car’s lights are called head lights. what are they in Spanish?
car seats asientos/sillones del coche
front seat asiento delantero
back seat asiento trasero
driver´s seat asiento del conductor
passenger´s seat asiento del pasajero
trunk maletero o portabultos
head lights faros del coche

More doubts
gaveta in English? the place where you keep things, it is in front of the passenger´s seat

Do you want me to open the window to refresh you? right?
Tocar la pita? to press the horn?
To go for a ramble by car? is possible Dar una vuelta en coche
subir/bajar los cristales go up/go down the windows?
Volante?

Words that you can see your LO: cariño, mi amorcito, mi angelito,
If the baby is a little unquiet: No seas tan travieso/majadero/inquieto

In a house:
correr las persianas move the blinds?

Canciones que yo cantaba, dos de ellas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_nszGvoiM tengo una muñeca
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSqr8jaqIwA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRCMnouR-4 supercalifragilistiquestialidoso aunque al oirlo suene un poco enredoso, PARA QUE LOS MARIDOS SE ANIMEN A SER PAPÁS OTRA VEZ

gaveta in English? [b] the place where you keep things, it is in front of the passenger´s seat[/b]
Sounds like a "glove box" or "glove compartment" [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=glovebox&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=dtH6UemuO4G09QS61IG4DA&biw=1366&bih=622&sei=etH6UbqSJIvy8ATiq4GADw#um=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=glove+compartment&oq=glove+c&gs_l=img.3.0.0l10.3324.3609.0.5337.2.2.0.0.0.0.140.241.0j2.2.0....0...1c.1.23.img..0.2.240.KLZWnZ1DG0U&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.50165853,d.eWU&fp=4c0f38fb30576efa&biw=1366&bih=622]Google image link[/url] of a "glove box" or "glove compartment".

Is that what you’re talking about?

Yes, yes, thank youuuuuuuuuuu

Hi nuria2012!

I hope this helps:
subir/bajar las ventanas del auto: roll up/roll down the window
tocar la pita (el claxon): honk the horn
dar una vuelta: go for a drive
Do you want (would you like) me to open the window so you can have some fresh air?

another note…we don’t really say unquiet…maybe you can say active/fussy/being a trouble maker ( travieso). Maybe someone else has a better word.

Hello mybabyian,
thank you for your help. I was using open and close the windows. I had no idea about roll up/roll down the window lol lol lol and honk the horn, it has rhythm lol

A trouble maker’ could be translated into English with the word ·trasto" Eres un trasto… This term is used very often where I live. lol Toddler are real trouble makers when they begin to walk.Nobody can deny this fact. lol

Other useful Spanish sentences that I would like to translate into English are:
Poner los seguros de las puertas del coche: ?? It is put something in order that the baby cannot open the door. My baby opened one day, There is a baby seguro? that is activated in the interior of the door of cars. But there is another that you can see, it is visible.

No juegues con la comida/Con la comida no se juega Don´t play with the food (is it common in English language?
No tires las cosas al suelo Don´t through things on the floor?/ Don´t drop things on the floor.
¿Lo has pasado bien en la guardería hoy? Had you fun at nursery school today morning?
No escupas la comida. Don´t throw away the food?

In Spanish we always use ´Caca´’ No toques eso´ The possible translation could be, in order that everybody understands `Popo? Don´t touch that. You use this expression, when, for example, your LO is taking something that is on the ground. ´ Is there an expression in English used with babies and toddlers, please?

Trágate lo que tienes en la boca. Could be Swalow what you have in your mouth.
Come y calla! Open and shut!
No te salgas de la acera could be don´t go out from the sidewalk?

Now I am going to copy more SPANISH sentences and their translations. I hope they help some people. Sorry if I repeat some of them

Vamos a sentarte en tu cochecito, vale? Let´ s sit you down in your puschair, shall we?
Nos vamos de paseo We´re going for a walk.
Abre bien la boca, que aquí viene el avión. Open wide. Here comes some food.
Mami te va a preparar el biberón. Mummy´s going to get your bottle ready
¡Qué bueno! Isn´t that nice! Another English possibility?
Vamos a ponerte el babero. Let´s put your bib on.
Tu comidita está lista Din dins is ready!!
Quema? Is it hot?

What phrases do you use when you dress your baby??Iwould be grateful about any sentence, it is not necessary to copy so many sentences… I love helping other people, and I am learning with your help, thank you :slight_smile:

poner los seguros is lock the door. There s also a child safety lock which is what you are talking about I think.

you can say Don’t play with your food.
Did you have fun at nursery school this morning?
Don’t spit out your food.
Yucky don’t touch that.
I would just say stay on the sidewalk (please) or stay out of the street. Or, stay close to me please, or wait for me please.

I think everything else looks good. There is a lot to say about getting dressed.

Look at this pretty shirt. Put your head through, now put your right arm in the sleeve, now your left. Let’s button you up (if it has buttons). Here is a nice clean, dry diaper. (you can make the diaper talk, move it like a mouth). Hi baby! will you put me on? Wonderful! (you talking again) Let’s fasten the right side, now the left. Time to put on your pants. Aren’t these cute! Put your left leg in. now your right. Over your diaper now. Let’s button the button and zip up the zipper. Time for your socks and shoes. Which go on first? We put our socks on before our shoes! Here is a sock for your right foot. Here is one for your left. Now here is your right shoe, it goes on your right foot. Now here is your left shoe it goes on your left foot. Look! Now you are all dressed! ARe you ready to go play?

ThAt’s a lot I know. Hopefully it helps. If you can write it in Spanish it would be very helpful! Thiank you!

Mybabyian,
How many new sentences: I am :laugh: caramba, yupi, bien, qué bien, fenomenal!!! What interjections do you use when you have a good surprise?

Of course, I´ll translate your fantastic text into Spanish language:

Look at this pretty shirt. Mira esta camisa (tan) bonita
Put your head through, now put your right arm in the sleeve, now your left.Mete la cabeza, ahora mete tu mano derecha por la manga, ahora la mano izquierda (por esta otra manga)

Let’s button you up (if it has buttons). Vamos a abrocharte los botones.
Here is a nice clean, dry diaper. (you can make the diaper talk, move it like a mouth). :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Aq In uí hay/tenemos un pañal sequito y limpito para (mi niño/a) In Spanish language,it is very common to use the endings -ito/-ita with babies. :laugh: :biggrin: :clown:

Hi baby! Hola mi amor/cielo! will you put me on? Qué te ponemos (hoy)!

Wonderful! (you talking again) Maravilloso/Qué bien!
Let’s fasten the right side, now the left. Vamos a abrocharte el lado derecho, ahora el izquierdo.
Time to put on your pants. Hora de ponerte tus pantalones! :unsure: How do you say baby´s underwear ?

Aren’t these cute! ¿No es precioso?
Put your left leg in. now your right. Over your diaper now. Mete la pierna izquierda, ahora la derecha
Let’s button the button and zip up the zipper. Vamos a abrocharte el botón y subirte la cremallera.
Time for your socks and shoes. Es hora de ponerse/ponerte tus calcetines y tus zapatos.
Which go on first? Vamos a ver, qué va primero/qué ponemos primero?
We put our socks on before our shoes! Primero hay que ponerse los calcetines y después los zapatos. Claro!

Here is a sock for your right foot. Here is one for your left. Aquí tenemos un calcetín para tu pie izquierdo y aquí uno para tu pie derecho/para el derecho.
Now here is your right shoe, it goes on your right foot.Ahora aquí tenemos tu zapato derecho queponemos en tu pie derecho.
Now here is your left shoe it goes on your left foot. Ahora aquí ponemos tu pie izquiedo que irá en el pie izquierdo.
Look! Now you are all dressed! ARe you ready to go play? Mira!!!Ahora estás completamente vestido! Estás listo para ir a jugar?

Gracias por todas las frases que me has pasado. Me van a ayudar mucho para vestir a Nuria. Espero que mis traducciones te gusten para comenzar a usarlas con tu bebé. Gracias y seguimos en contacto.

What about vocabulary/sentences used in BAHT TIME? (First part)
I will write my Spanish text.

Vamos a quitarte la ropita para darte un baño fresquito lleno de espuma y burbujas.
Primero te quitaré la ropita.
Empezamos con la camiseta. Saca la mano derecha por esta manga, ahora saca tu mano izquierda por la manga izquierda.
Ahora vamos con tu pantalón. Saca tu pierna izquierda, ahora tu derecha. Ya estás preparado/a, listo/a para tu baño
Aquí tenemos la toalla para secarte despues del baño.
Vamos a sentarte en tu silla de baño. Bien!! Ahora pondremos un poco de agua templada, un poco de gel y haremos muchas burbujas.

It is not necessary you translate this text, but sometimes I will need a translation, please. Only perhaps, this part:Vamos a quitarte la ropita para darte un baño fresquito lleno de espuma y burbujas.
Primero te quitaré la ropita.

Hola! Sorry for not responding earlier. I have been busy having a baby! My little princess was born healthy and we have fallen deeply in love with her already. :slight_smile:

Here is a translation. It’s not exact but I think it is more how we would say what you are trying to say. :slight_smile:

Vamos a quitarte la ropita para darte un baño fresquito lleno de espuma y burbujas.
Let’s take off your clothes so you can take a nice fresh bath with lots of foamy bubbles.