Baby Math Genius

Dear Lappy & All,

Amazing! And I now feel a little more confident in reading the book, and beginning the program with Sarah & Salma.

Thanks.
Ayesha :wink:

Hey look itā€™s me and my nephew! We really need to take an updated video of him, heā€™s two now!

Yes, please do!

Did you or his parents keep up the math program with him? How did it go?

I did the math program with him for a while when he was a baby (between 10 and 14 months old) but then his mom graduated so I wasnā€™t watching him in the mornings anymore, hence the program got put on hold.

But Iā€™ve been watching him 5 days a week now and weā€™ve started on the program again, he is doing great. Weā€™ve been reviewing numbers 1-20 and doing addition. He knows his numbers quite well and he really enjoys the addition. He turned two in November so itā€™s really of utmost importance now that I follow through with the whole program, before his ā€œwindow of opportunityā€ closes. Iā€™ll keep you all posted how heā€™s doing.

Hi Elizabeth,

Re: Subitizing: what is it?
ƂĀ« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 05:02:52 PM ƂĀ»

Quote from: DomanMom on January 02, 2009, 07:13:27 PM
Yes, we have done math problems with Cheerios, raisins, beads, candies, etc. If I lay two piles of objects down and ask him which one has 17, or which pile has the square root of 81, or which one has 29 divided by 29, plus 7, minus 3, he will pick the correct pile. He has not, however, ever been able to simply look at a dot card, or pile of candies, or whatever, and shout out how many there are as rainman did. Itā€™s strange but, everyone Iā€™ve talked to so far who has done the Doman math says this is the case, that their children can solve the answers to amazing calculations (pointing to the correct answer, whether there be two possible answers or ten) but they are not yet able to verbalize what they know. I wrote a blog post about it here, itā€™s a little long, but it might be useful to helping with understanding this perplexing mystery about verbalization.

http://worldsbesteducation.blogspot.com/2008/11/math-mystery.html

Have you tried showing Hunter a quantity card and then asking him to place an item over the matching numeral on a 1-100 number grid? Can Hunter write the correct answer or use a number line or grid to indicate the answer?

Chris.

Taken from a Shichida site-

I was surprised to find that my daughter can solve subtraction problems. But I have noticed that when I asked her orally, for example, ā€œWhat is x plus y?ā€ she answers incorrectly. However, when I write the formulas for her, she writes the correct answers. It is the same thing with subtraction. Also she can solve two digit plus two digit problems quicker than me! Orally, she canā€™t solve anything.

When can I start teaching my daughter these maths programs

Does anyone know how young children can see things this way? To me it just boggles the mind :wacko:

Hi Malathiprasad,

You can teach math to babies at around 4months. THe cut-off time is 30 months old.

:slight_smile:

wow
nice dose the baby count the dots?or what? i really cant understand it?

Babies are not able to subitize these large quantities, Kim Peek-The Real Rain Man is not able to instantly recognize large quantities. Savant Syndrome-Daniel Tammet states that no examples exist of savants with the ability to subitize large quantitities. Savants are slightly better at estimating the quantities but are not able to state exact quantities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVVQ0FZeys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2T45r5G3kA&feature=related

Confirmation bias and gestural cues can account for these posted vidoes.

At the very end, Kim Peekā€™s father says, ā€œAbout the only thing he canā€™t do - he canā€™t reason out mathematical problemsā€ (!).

So I guess the director of Rain Man cherry picked the tootpick subitizing ability from another savant!

Chris, are you sure that no savants can subitize? It seems odd for the director to completely invent this ability.

Daniel Tammet says that he sees ā€œlittle sparksā€ that eventually become numbers. His brain works out the answer and presents it to him. Naturally, thereā€™s no way to tell whether subitizing is involved.

Hi Maddy,
Daniel Tammet doesnā€™t just see sparks -Numbers, according to Daniel, are special to him. He has a rare form of synesthesia and sees each integer up to 10,000 as having their own unique shapes, color, texture and feel. He can ā€œseeā€ the result of a math calculation, and he can ā€œsenseā€ whether a number is prime. Daniel has since drawn what pi looks like: a rolling landscape full of different shapes and colors.

10 Most Fascinating Savants in the World http://www.neatorama.com/2008/09/05/10-most-fascinating-savants-in-the-world/

Daniel has met Kim Peek and he stated in his book that savants are not able to subitize large quantities, including himself.

My baby doesnā€™t seem to like seeing the dot cards, so we stopped for a while. Any ideas to help?

some ideas ā€¦
Get her favorite toy to teach her the dots, do it faster, celebrate the lesson with extreme affection (hugs - kisses - tickles) - change the location where you offer the lesson, wear a wig, change tone of voice while giving the dots at the speed of light, change the time at which you give the lesson (make this one your first lesson in the morning when baby is at her best), the more exagerated and funny the better. Dont worry if at the begining the baby focus just on your face - as it is the most interesting piece for her anyway- soon will get the idea and just keep doing it.
this is one more advantaje of doing paper dots it gives you more flexibility instead of being glue to a screen. (for older kids 2 years and older definitely go for LM- for babies I prefer paper)

At 1 year old or even 2ā€¦ I would say the response is 90% parent driven - most be creative and pls do not have any expectation; babies can feel it, they may be getting all the knowledge they need at a glance - offer a funny short - fast - intense session and let it go.

This process is not one of those that will offer us (parents) inmediate gratification.

What ever you do - pls just do it with joy and free from expectations.

Regards,

Gloria

ps: would love to hear from more experienced moms - I have an older child 5years I am sure other Doman moms with younger babies can contribute tons!!!

Hi all,
I missed the right age. My daughter is 3 yrs old now and I have put her to a montessori school.
I want to know how I can teach her now. the wonders of calculation you are talking about now seem amazing but what is it? Is it Little Math?
Garima

The Eyes Have It - How children learn to read minds.

If you pause the vid at 38/39 seconds and again at 47/48 seconds you can see Anthony reading gestural cues. Anthony doesnā€™t look at either card prior to checking the adults gaze and then immediately chooses the correct card.

Humans are social animals and our evolution has developed the ability to deduce what another person might be thinking and to predict behaviour based on that deduction. Infants pick up non-verbal signals well before they learn to speak.

From around four months, babies learn to look at other peopleĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s eyes to figure out intentions. Even at two months of age, infants look longer at eyes than at any other part of a face. Experiments have shown that eight- and-nine month-olds look automatically at an adults eyes if an action was ambiguous-for example, if the experimenter offered a toy but pulled it back, or placed a toy in front of the infant but then placed a hand over it. Eyes communicate both by the direction in which they look and by revealing emotional states.

From about the end of the first year of life, babies learn to infer from the direction of an adultĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s gaze what an adult is looking at or thinking about.

Very interesting!!Thanks fro sharing.

Cool. I have a 14 mo old and we are on day 2. It is pretty hard to get him to look at the dots, but I try to go pretty fast. I do 2 sets of 5, 3 times a day. I am on #1-10, but I donā€™t know when to start retiring cards. I will figure that part out today.

I am using Domanmomā€™s powerpoint red dots from her website. She has them posted for everyone for free.

check out this website for already made math equations for doman math. I found it very helpful as this program is quite time consuming.

http://worldsbesteducation.org/math.aspd

I started my 16 month old daughter on this math program just recently, but she really doesnƂĀ“t enjoy it. As soon she sees me getting the cards she says ā€œnoā€! and runs away. The same with the powerpoint presentations. I am all out of ideas. I try to do it in a fun way, but she isnƂĀ“t interested. IƂĀ“m not sure if she even looks at the cards. Every time I play peek a boo with her, I poke my head out and she is still looking right at meā€¦ Who knowsā€¦ I will try it for a little longer and we will see how it goes.
I did the Your Baby Can Read program with her and she can read around 100 words, but has also gone off reading too. I have stopped showing her cards for a while to see if she will be excited again once we start up again.

try this, then click on free resources and then math.

www.worldsbesteducation.org