Any mom still uses real flashcard?

Before I know the LR/LM program, I learnt about Doman method so I have created my own math dot card and some word cards. I wonder if any moms here still use real card?

I am not sure if it is ok to sit in front of the computer with my 5-month baby for a long time. I have shown her the real math dot card and she is very excited now whenever I show her! I haven’t started the word cards yet because I am just too busy with my elder one (28-month)

Any experiences you can share?

I STILL USE FLASHCARD I CUT OUT PRINTABLE ONES ON REGULAR PAPER, GLUE THEM TO CONSTRUCTION PAPER, THEN LAMINATE THEM THIS MAKES THEM HOLD UP TO ANYTHING MY SON CAN PUT THEM THROUGH. AFTER THERE LAMINATED I USE A HOLE PUNCH ON THE UPPER CORNER OF EACH CARD THEN PLACE THEM ON OPENABLE RINGS SORTED IN TO LIKE GROUPS! SUCH AS NUMBERS, LETTERS, SHAPES, COLOR, AND ANIMALS. WITH THEM ON THE RINGS I CAN GIVE THEM TO MY SON WHEN EVER HE WANTS THEM. WE HAVE GOTTEN TO THE POINT WHERE HE WALKS AROUND THE HOUSE WITH THEM, TELLING ME WHICH IS WHICH! I ALSO USE FULL SIZE PICTURES OF SHAPES, NUMBERS, COLORS, LETTERS WITH PICTURES, THESE I PUT IN TO PROTECTIVE SLEAVES AND PUT IN HIS VERY OWN THREE RING BINDER, FOR HIM TO LOOK AT WHEN EVER HE LIKES. HE READS IT LIKE A BOOK. THE BEST PART IS YOU CAN HELP THEM DECORATE THE BINDER WITH MARKERS AND STICKERS!

IF YOU WANT THE STUFF I USED I CAN SEND IT TO YOU BUT I CANT ADD IT ON TO HERE BECAUSE OF COPYRIGHT!

I still do both :slight_smile: My son is always on the go so when we are out and about I bring my manual flash cards or use resources that I have around me to teach him. If I am in the grocery store I point out a lot of words while we shop, of course I did this one time and he got stuck on the word dial and when he saw the soap again a week or so later he tried to put the whole case in the basket lol, I have mentioned before that my backyard has rocks and we also have sidewalk chalk so I write words out and he reads them off of the rocks, or if we are in the car going anywhere I show him cards then as well.

As for starting the word cards, have you thought of showing them to both of your children? What about flashing her cards during her diaper changes or right after your math sessions if you still have her attention?

Hope this helps and happy teaching!!

Initally when our baby is below one year old we use the real flash cards, but now lately she keeps not interested in the real flash card, maybe it is too slow for her. Luckily when we use the Little Reader, she is so interested and very eager to enjoy watching the LR. I think that maybe LR is faster in speed and has more content of which attrached her more.

We still use real flashcards for the jumping game (who can jump on the word “pig” first, etc). I scatter the cards over the floor and the girls jump on them and pick them up. It’s great for those days when they don’t want to sit still, but you’d still like to get a little bit of reading in! It breaks things up a bit, and it’s also great practice for reading words in any orientation. It amuses them, anyway, and it reminds me of when my dad used to play the same game with me.

I would think real flashcards are still as important coz they teach the baby how to hold something in their hands like a book… and that’s a skill you want to develop from an early age :wink:

munster718… I’d like that stuff u mentioned!!! How do you manage to put such thick board through the laminator? Mine jams up so I can only do flimsy very bendy flashcards. I like to use actual flashcards as well as computer screen but they are too easily destroyed.

I do. I show my daughter about 24 words three times a day when she laying down having her bottle. She is almost 15 months and hasn’t shown any evidence of knowing the words. Sometimes i show her two cards and ask her with one says Fingers (for instance), and she just looks at me and goes on with whatever she was doing. I also show her the YBCR videos. I don’t know. Hopefully when she is a little older it will all come together.

munster718,
thanks for your suggestion and yes, I’d like the stuff you mentioned! My flash card is very “soft” and it’s not easy to carry around.

patience,
I will try your suggestion of showing the words right after the math. I would like to know if any of you show more than 5 cards at a time? When I showed to my 5-month baby, she still seems interested after I showed 8 cards in a row. I am ready to go for 11 dots!

happymummy,
Oh, I never thought of this game! My 28-month daughter used to see real flash card but she seems lost of interest already! I have shown her LR few times and she seems quite interested in it!

nohayo,
Did you mean you let your baby hold the flash card after you flash it?

luckylucy,
Don’t worry, I believe your baby knows it! Later on, you will be surprised to know that she knows those words! One day when my elder daughter is about 16-month, when we flip the book together, she pointed at the tiger and said “tiger”…I was like “wowo… you know it”. So she may give you a surprise!

Thanks all

i dont use a lamination machine i buy the self-sealing lamination pouches from scotch! i just take my time and use my id card to make sure its all smooth and seals! there the size of a full sheet of paper so you just precut all of your cards out and fit as many as you can on the sheet! making sure to leave enough space between each card so the two sides can touch then smooth and cut them out! be sure to round the edges the can be sharp if not rounded!

if any one wants those just give me your email and tell me wether you want just the basic flash cards, or the stuff i used to make his book

I do a combination of both also. It helps to switch methods, I have found, with my toddler. :slight_smile:

I still use my homemade cards. I don’t laminate them, but they seem to be holding up o.k. I find that dd gets bored of too much of the same thing. So I alternate between as many different ‘games’ as I can from the YBCR DVDS to LR to LM to my homemade cards to my homemade books and whatever else I can find.

yes sure you can let the baby hold it afterwards… what i meant was that they are learning to read also from something physical that you hold in your hand - almost a book :wink:

hi there

i still use 2 sets of cards. it make me feel like i am showing my son that books and paper are just as important as a computer or tv.

i am currently in the process of making books as general knowledge resources.
i want to use a picture of say “the heart” and make an entire book out of it using domans 10 magnitudes of intelligence. those will replace the cards in the next 2 months once i have them ready.

Before I knew about YBCR and LR, when my baby was 6 months odl I made her flashacards(1-10 numbers), everyday words(mama, papa, eat,milk,more,water,i love you) and animales, also I made her sign language in flascads, everyday I showed to her onces or twice depends of her interest, now that we have YBCR and LR she stills loves flashcards, she will bring them to me for me to show them and sign with her and count…it is fun!!

that is my personal experience…hope this help. :slight_smile:

I like those flashcards and also looking for figures he already knows on books. In this way I get to know that he is really learnig the words specially if they are not his native language.

I know I’m just jumping in on this - but is it bad to only use LR? I haven’t bought it yet, but I’m contemplating because I just know I can’t keep up with making flashcards. I’m concerned though, as the original poster said, at having my baby look at a screen so much! When he was born, I was all about “no TV!!” - and now, he watching YBCR and signing time… and now I’m planning on adding LR… it just doesn’t seem good (I’ve been looking in Montessori lately also, which emphasizes no TV as well). Any thoughts?! Thanks!!

What I do now is sensory flashcards or posters. For writing flashcards I use laminated writing cards that my toddler can write on (trace the pre-printed word) and wipe it off.
I take my pictures and turn them into a poster and add sensory or velcro objects to the poster. Interactive flashcards. My infant however we use original bright colored flashcards with photos. Plus we use LR, and the other power point slideshows i created.

Here lately we have been trying word walls. See pic below. I didn’t add the object’s pictures on there yet, but anyway you get the idea. I laminate mine and then hang them up in our school area.