"Zen Learning" in Japan Paper

An interesting look at Japanese style learning from one of the fine folks at MIT. http://blogs.berkshirecc.edu/ddigenti/files/2007/10/zenlearning.pdf

Overall, it has to do with workforce training but the concepts definitely apply to learning in general. I found it fascinating to read that factory workers are trained in soroban and calligraphy, and I love the concept of layered learning. I can also see how powerful it is to achieve levels. My daughter is extremely motivated to finish one level of her reading program only to move on to the next, and the same goes for piano. She was so excited to graduate level 1 and begin level 2. It just provides visible progress to her and a sense of accomplishment.

Also, it was interesting to read about repetition, particularly in mathmetics, being an effective road to higher order thinking skills by “freeing up the brain” and creating a denser neural net. I had no idea any US company like Texas Instruments would ever send their workers to Kumon class!?