Your favorite right brain activities

I was just wondering what your favorite right brain activities were, and which ones could be done for low cost of materials.

I’ve been reading about the 8 different types of intellegence, and noticed a majority are not typical “right-brain” activities. While I love the idea of Tweedlewink, but until I can afford it, we’ve been playing with music on the piano, Trebellina, YBCR, flashcards, doman dots, & sign language.

Also I wanted to see what right-brain activites were more hands-on rather than just watching something passively.

These are the ones I like and they don’t cost you anything if you don’t mind making the materials yourself…

I like linking memory. It’s easy to make up your own on the computer. I use powerpoint and search for random clipart images which I stick on the powerpoint. Then I show them to my son and make up a random story. You can find some of my cards here:

http://www.figur8.net/linking-memory-flash-cards/

I’m also developing a fondness for imaging. You look at an image for 30 seconds then close your eyes to see the after image. The idea is to practice so that the after image lasts longer. I’ve written more about it here:

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/10/01/qsr-training-part-1-image-and-eye-training/

You can start with solid colours with a dot in the center as a focal point. As you progress you can cut out pictures from magazines and mount them on a cardboard with a dot in the center as a focal point.

I also like the Mandala activity - where you look at a simple Mandala pattern and try to remember where the colours belong. You can make your own Mandalas using powerpoint as well. I made pictures of trains using geometric shapes since my son loves trains.

Memory Linking is something I need to get a better understanding of. It seems like something that would be of benefit for my 5 year old

In my experience with right brain education, I have seen Memory linking done in different ways.

In the Wink Program: they use the same series of pictures in the same order and tell the same story over. The idea is to keep repeating it from the beginning until you can remember more and more pictures. I can remember the first hundred already.

In the Heguru Program, they use two different types. One is a Peg Memory system. Each picture is assigned to a number. They show ten cards in a lesson and repeat the same cards for about a month then introduce the next ten. They link the cards using a memory linking story to help the children remember them.

The other memory linking exercise is random. Each lesson, they open out about 30 random cards and make up a story along the way. The children each get three cards each to make up their own story. Then they cover the cards and run through them again to see if the children can remember their own three cards.