Your favorite learning-to-Read Games

Hi y’all!

I was just saying hi to Kimbaxx on the Introduce Yourself board and she was asking about games. I would also love to hear what kind of games you play with your children to help them learn to read.

All I could think of was the one where you have the baby point to the thing that matches a word you show them. Not very creative. I’d love to hear y’all’s great games!

Oh, what a wonderful post! I too would love to hear the games you all play with your little ones!

We’re not very creative either, just sticking to silly games of chase or peek-a-boo, or goofy things that we make up on the spot that seem to make her laugh. I really need some more educational options, lol!

Hi,
I play maatching card game
Imagination game
Coloring,
Throwing balls in a bucket,
Slate,
Playing dough,
Story books
Running
Dancing
Pretend Playing
Shape sorter
Blocks
I teach how draw standing line,sleeping line,circle…
Dot game
And many more

Sapna

A good one for teaching phonics is to get blocks or tiles of the alphabet, and randomly making up words (even those that don’t exist), and having them try to pronounce it.

When I first did this, it was when I knew that Felicity was already figuring out phonics rules by herself even without being taught phonics. I remember putting together words like “DAT”, “BOF”, etc.

The alphabet magnets are also very good for that same purpose. You can keep some on the fridge for the kids to play with or you can get a little magnetic board for teaching and playing. There’s also the foam letters for the bathtub. They stick to the wall.

I’ll post more when I have time later, but here are some of the games I can think of:

Animal Match Up - we have plastic dinosaurs, insects, etc and we have them walk over to the card (African elephant on a card that says “African elephant”)

Landing Zone - I tell my son that the airplane needs to land on the word that says “theory” or “hummingbird” or whatnot. He really likes that!

Horsey - I set the words up down the hallway and he’ll ride on my back like a horse to go see them

Bean Bag - We’ll put lots of words on the floor and then throw a beanbag. He’s to read the one it lands on.

I ask my daughter which word says ____ and then give her two options to choose from.

We also play match the toy animals (she has a lot of plastic toy animals) to the correct word card.

Throw you in the air - we read the word and then play throw her in the air (she loves that)

Find the word under various objects or in containers (she’s in the packing in and out stage)

Showing her words to her favourite activities just before she does them (she loves going outside so I made the word outside and read it to her before taking her outside - she got pretty excited when the word said the thing she loves doing)

We love the starfall website. Another game we play is memory. You can play it with words and their pictures, or capital letters and lowercase letters, or numerals and numbers of objects (or course your child has to have the attention span for memory).

hi Tanikit

Your teaching methods is fun and interesting, I will introduce these methods to E.

here is a kamara for u

My little one was losing interest in looking at cards (especially number dots) but we played peek-a-boo with me behind the card. I’d stick my face out and say the number or word on the card. Sometimes, I’d just giggle. He had a grand time looking and laughing. :laugh:

Our game is me reading our story and following with my finger and her choosing the word for the day (or 2 or 3) and saying it each time it comes across. We started one day with our Bible story time, as she payed attention to J in Joseph. She knows J is for Jazi (her) and Jesus (for which she is very proud of herself),so it was natural to learn another J name. Every time the story mentioned Joseph she would shout it out. Then she counted it on the page. With one word you can’t go wrong and they feel success. Then she wanted to read “God” and so on. She likes names best, though sometimes I just pause for a sec at the words she knows and often she fills them in.

We also do what Nikolett does. He fills in words as we read as I run my finger under the words and sometimes I stop and say can you point to ____________word. I don’t know if it teaches him to read per say but I think it reinforces that the story is coming from those printed words on the page.

Nikolett, I wonder if the “name thing” is age related. When my sister began teaching her child to read at about the age your baby is now she chose all names to learn to read - she knows a lot of capital letters because of it! Now that she is a little older (she is 2 years and 9 months) she is more keen on any word (especially in sentences) and absolutely loves learning words.

That’s a very interesting observation. I’ll see how it goes :slight_smile: