Yeast Diaper Rash

My son started taking Augmentin antibiotic on Tuesday due to an ear infection. By Thursday morning he had a bad diaper rash. At first I treated it with vaseline at every changing and then that day his teacher told me to give him yogurt. He is not a big fan but I have been able to get him to eat some. He has a total of 10 days of Augmentin. I called the dr. yesterday and they told me it was a yeast infection diaper rash due to the augmentin. She recommended me put Monistat cream on him 4 times a day and either Butt Paste or Vaseline over that and on the other changes as a barrier, because he is having diarreah.

I am also putting baking soda in his bath every night and not using wipes but warm water and blotting and not wiping.

Does anyone have any other tips? He has only had 2 doses of the monistat cream as of now. It looks a tiny bit better than last night, but not a lot. He has not had a BM in about 14 hours (it’s 9:30am here). So it has been clean for a while now.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dear Christinc21,

After my daughters were born, Salma was in NICU for temperature regulation, and developed the worst diaper rash I had ever seen - raw skin and oozing blood. The nurses used a special pharmaceutical grade ointment that did not really work. A few days later, once I got both girls home, I was able to use Burt’s Bee’s diaper ointment and it cleared it up noticeable within a few days and that is all I have ever used - even with my two grandchildren from birth - potty training.

It is expensive at $7.50 a tube - however it worked when special order pharmacy grade ointments did not! I usually get mine from a local grocery chain; or Target sometimes has it in a 3 oz tube, and I can always get it at Whole Foods, or online:

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=-6&catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1

I always call ahead of time to check stock and have them put it at the Customer Service desk and my husband picks it up since he is out everyday.

I hope it helps!
Sincerely,
Ayesha

Thank you Ayesha but I am afraid this is more than a regular diaper rash. My son has never been one for rashes. He has never had more than a mild redness with one treatment of diaper cream it goes away. This is way worse and has lasted for 3 days now. I have just gotten off the phone with the nurse at the hospital and they have told me to discontinue the Monistat and Change to Lotrimin, which is an anti-fungal cream usually used for ringworms and athlete’s foot. I don’t see it getting better until he is done with his antibiotic, which is another 5 full days.

It is physically draining but more so emotionally draining. My heart breaks every time I have to change him and touch his bottom. He screams “Ouchy” the whole time. I sat and cried with him tonight and got him to sleep finally. I will try the new cream if he wakes during the night or first thing in the morning. If not better by mid day I will be taking him to the hospital where I hope he will be taken off of the antibiotic, which is causing all of his problems.

Thanks for your advice though, it is appreciated.