YBCR vs LM/LR please?

Hi all

I have only this morning seen YBCR! I want to know more about it as I already have LR and LM and the TweedleWink DVD’s, and I don’t want to spend unnecessary money.

can you help?

This was discussed here:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/ybcr-v-lr/

(YBCR does not teach math so you can’t compare it with LM).

I highly recommend YBCR! If you can afford to get it too, I’m sure you would find it useful!

We used YBCR and I think it’s great.

Hi nhockaday

Do you use it combined with LR and LM? and pyhsical flashcards too?

Yes, I use them all! Actually, my son used YBCR when he was a baby. Now he uses YCCR.

Hiya, what is YBCR and YCCR ?

They are DVDs that teach reading. Your Child Can Read and Your Baby Can Read.

just my 2¢ but i think if you already have TW and LM and LR i wouldn’t waste the $$ on YBCR. i think the others are more effective and teach more. i think with LR you learn thousands of words while with YBCR you only learn 500… and no phonics. if you can find it on ebay or something for the whole thing (all the books and flashcards, etc) for around $50 i would get it, but i wouldn’t spend more on it. i think you have the cream of the crop now!
the doc :clown:

Although this is my experience, this post is somewhat negative.
I learned that YBCR was “stolen” from the Doman method, which is how the doctor/originator of YBCR taught his children. Someone at the IAHP told me that. When they went to sue, it was too late. They don’t respect what the man did, but because the program leaves many asking, “What next?” they research and find the Domans, so they hear about YBCR a lot. That said, my child learned to recognize words (“read” according to YBCR) from this program.

I’m ready to try LM/LR now, since the YBCR program leaves me waiting for the next step.

Also, one thing that made me look for other programs was this: my relatives and friends are from very diverse backgrounds, all types. In viewing YBCR, I particularly noticed that the darker-hued children in the YBCR videos did not smile (well, one little girl did once or twice) or act like they enjoyed the actions they were performing (seemingly done only for the video’s sake: playing drums, catching a ball, swinging a bat, etc.). They either looked confused or blank-faced, and one little girl looked as if someone suddenly told her to stop shaking toy keys. Another boy was frowning because of the sun, but to a child not yet experienced with this facial expression (or, goodness forbid, experienced with it in a negative context), it might look like he was scowling. I know I would have been questioned on this material from my friends and relatives, not to mention the children (!), had they viewed the whole video.

I’m hoping to be more satisfied with LR.

We finished YBCR at 20 months old. It worked for us. She knows all the words from the YBCR and more (from our reading and playing together). And it gave me a chance to do some work around the house while my baby was watching this DVD. But I agree with terrahmother (post above) What next? We are done with YBCR and I spend hours on-line trying to find an answer to the question “What next?”. I am very excited to find this website and thanks everybody for the great job you are doing here. We loved the trial LR and LM. We loved the free downloads. Hope we’ll be able to shop here as well (everything is about the money now). I’ll do my best to contribute just give me some time to get to know everything better here. And I’m really happy to find this topic because this is just what I was looking for. Thank you OP for bringing this up and thank you everybody for sharing. I was not sure if we should go for LR as we finished YBCR now I know the answer.

Regarding the “what’s next?” question, did your children build phonemic awareness after doing the YBCR,. I haven’t done this programme with my child (yet :)), but looking at it I thought that the main idea was not only to teach recognise some words, but to ensure that the child picks up some rules and can start reading new words that s/he hasn’t seen before?

A fantastic (and free!) programme that is built around this idea: http://www.progressivephonics.com/. But it may not be suitable for children under 3.

Sorry to say but she did not build phonemic awareness after doing the YBCR. Very rare she will read something that looks familiar the right way. Like the word “print” she read as the word “point” the other day. We keep working on it, so I’m pretty sure she will get it eventually because she finds the words that looks like the words she can read. We finished the course in 4 months and I think it is not enough for building this skill. I still put it up from time to time and she still loves the books and the flash cards from YBCR. Her vocabulary is growing, she memorizes the words she sees very quick. I don’t regret we got it.
Thank you for the link, LMsMum, I will check it out later.

Sveta, DadDude has also put together a brilliant reading programme that he mentioned in one of his earlier posts. I can’t find the link, but you could check his recent posts. That could be a natural progression from YBCR.

Thank you LMsMum. I’ve just found this topic about new Your child can read http://forum.brillkids.com/product-discussions-and-reviews/your-child-can-read!-from-ybcr/ They say it is only $59.99 at Costco and kids love it. This is our next step in reading now. My baby is 21 months I hope it’s not too early for her as it says ages 3 and up. Of course I’ll keep reading here and look for dadDude programme. Thanks again.

sveta09: Make sure you read about the YCCR before buying. I’m not sure, but it seems as if it’s a beginner course like the YBCR, but it’s for a child who has not been exposed to the YBCR or other learning programs. I’m not sure if it’s a natural progression, or just a YBCR for older children.

I checked their website and it says Your Child Can Read! 5 DVD Set Graduate Your Baby to the next level! Your Child Can Read is the next step in your child’s advanced language development. • Combines the best of phonics and whole word learning methods • Teaches children to read with comprehension using word, image and phonetic sound association. •
And the posters from from another topic say that they had YBCR and now using YCCR. I think we’ll be fine. Thx for the heads up terrahmother. Will read more on this topic just to make sure it is good for us.

I have found this topic very informative. I was very much against word recognition programmes such as YBCR and LR (preferring phonics), but I was prepared to listen to the arguments. I now recognise the beauty of using both with my little one (just turned 2). We’re 24 hrs into the 14 day LR trial and although she’s easily distracted it appears to be going well. I’m about to purchase YBCR and want to know what benefits the DELUXE kit has over the BASIC kit. Deluxe costs on average £85 ($128) and includes:

• 5 DVD’s
    5 Wipe clean word cards
    1 Erasable pen
    5 Lift a flap books
    50 Flash cards
    82 Double-sided word cards
    1 Parents guide
    3 Free gifts

The BASIC kit costs about £30 ($45)and includes:

• 5 DVD’s
    50 Flash cards or 50 double sided sliding cards

We intend going on to purchase LR and LM so we need to make good financial choices. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I’m so pleased to have come across this site and look forward to contributing to this great resource.

We have a Delux set
5 DVD’s
5 Wipe clean word cards +1 Erasable pen - didn’t use it too much, got a doodle thing later
5 Lift a flap books - my daughter loves them (it has words, pictures and sentences)
50 Flash cards (I think they mean sliding cards here) - loved them
82 Double-sided word cards (I think they come in the basic set too) - loved them
1 Parents guide
3 Free gifts: loved the book that comes here, never really listen to those CDs.

All in all from the Delux set we loved sliding cards, lift a flap books and a book with sliding words.
The difference in price is huge and it’s up to you to decide. I don’t regret getting a delux variant, beacuse my daughter is still crazy about those lift a flap books and sliding cards (I guess she just likes the idea of playing peek-a-boo with the words).

We got the Deluxe set. Apart from the dvd, the sliding cards, the lift a flap books and the book with the sliding words was my son’s favourite.

I am very glad I got the deluxe kit. All of the materials are very well made, and we got a lot of use out of them. They are very good for reinforcing the videos and even doing reviews. In fact, I think my son learned more from them than the videos.