YBCR vs BRILLKIDS

Any difference??

Do you mean the Little Reader?

I am using Your baby can read for a reading video program. My daughter likes it.

We use Little reader to practise the words from YBCR and to teach things like continents, rainforest animals, mammals etc.

They are both great and can be used together wonderfully!

I think the programs complement each other. YBCR is more of a program to follow. Between the dvd’s, the flash cards and the books it makes a great program for at least 7 months. The brillkids softwares have unlimited options and you can use it as long as you want to teach something new :smiley:

Yup agree you need a combination … and expand from the YBCR … can use all the way till 3-4 yrs old … say you want to do a presentation on the eco system just find the right picture, key in the words or facts … and wahla …

We’ve never used YBCR yet, but I would also think that they would reinforce one another. :slight_smile:

thanks guys…

I am just wondering if I have the YBCR dvds and LR, do I still need to buy the YBCR books and flash cards?
I mean it is necessary? thanks

I have volume one of Your Baby Can Read. It does not really hold my daughter’s attention… at least not for long. Although she is all over the “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” song presented on the dvd!!! She does love the PowerPoint presentations I have made for her… even the ones with just words!
But her appetite for books and words is so huge I have a difficult time keeping up with her! I am just praying I can get enough points to purchase Little Reader and Little Math before the cost increases!

The books and the flash carsd are extra tools. If you budget is limted, I would just create flash cards in LR to re-inforce the words that are thought in YBCR.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Yep big difference! YBCR are just videos which you cannot modify & customize unlike LR & LM, but both are good. My girls are so addicted to LR that my husband bought me another laptop so they can have my old one. YBCR used to be my girls favorite too, but I think they’ve outgrown it already so I let them watch it just once a day. (Baby Signing Time, Brainy Baby, Preschool Prep are their flavor of the month videos for now). But still, they love YBCR books & word cards, they always choose YBCR books among all their books. Well, I guess they love watching me, making faces & sounds everytime I read to them the YBCR books & the sliding words cards. If you decide to buy YBCR set, you wont regret it. (I bought mine on ebay, way cheaper than the original price.)

I have been teaching my little girl on LR for the past 2 months. I’m curious about YBCR. Can anyone help with my questions below?

1. Is it expandable? I have the impression that the video is limited to certain number of words. After you’re done with it, you can just put away the video - useless after that.
  2. Does the video teach couplets or short phrases?
  3. Is the teaching material (pullout cards) expandable? Similar to the video, it’s not going to be very useful if just limited to certain number of words.

Thanks!

The whole system teaches about 172 words. It is a set of DVDs, so you cannot change the content. When you are done with the 7 month curriculum, you can still show the videos sometimes to give your child a refresher, and if your child does not recognize all the words, you can still play them often. My son still watches the videos a few times a week, and I will save the videos for any future children I may have. There are some couplets and phrases in the later videos, but that is something that you are supposed to introduce on your own after your child is reading some single words. The videos are meant to introduce your child to reading. They are by no means a complete program. It is up to you, the parent, to continue to teach more words and phrases after your child has mastered reading the single words. Since you already have LR, you can easily make up couplets and phrases from the YBCR words or any other words you choose. Plus, a little birdie told me that the new LR curriculum will include couplets :biggrin:

The materials that you can buy with the DVDs use some of the same words in the video you are showing. They are meant to reinforce what your child is learning. The premise of YBCR is repetition. Your child needs to see the words over an over to learn them. I found the flash cards, pull out cards and books to be wonderful supplements to the system. I think my son has learned a lot from using them. We still use them every day even though he finished the DVDs a couple of months ago.

My son is 1 Year and a 2 weeks and I started using YBCR at 5 months, he’s now doing arms up when he see’s the word and opening his mouth when he sees the word, he also says “Eh” for elephant. I try to be consistent so I show it to him once a day at evenings when I return from work. I would also recommend using little reader together, I have the LR lite so I use that sometimes with him, he loves it and is very attentive.

I really liked the YBCR read videos until my son turned 2 and completely lost interest in the videos, so I’ve been searching for other teaching videos and I am very glad I found this website. because if I hadn’t I would have just given up and my son probably would have lost what he learned as a baby.

ps. I never bought the flash card from YBCR I just made my own on the computer. Its a great concept for teaching babies early.

i second what someone else said… we have sort of grown out of the videos BUT i am still glad we started with ybcr. we started at 3 months and between then and about 6-8 months i think it is ideal because flash cards didn’t and wouldn’t have held my dd’s attention. the dvds made for a nice transition into flash cards. also, i never thought about buying the peripherals to ybcr because although i’m sure they are fine i feel like what we do at home is just as good and better that it’s easily customized. i am keeping the videos for baby#2 and will do it all just like i did with dd. although… how do i explain to dd that elmo is going to have take a backseat to reading videos for the 1 hour of tv that’s allowed in the house??? ah… the joys of adding siblings.