Yamaha keyboard and self-teaching lessons

Well after much deliberation I have decided to get a Yamaha keyboard the problem is now which one. Yamaha Watch and Learn Video with EZ250i Keyboards. I am just wondering if this particular keyboard has the quality sound that I need for perfect pitch. Does anyone have experience with Yamaha keyboards? Please advise. Are the Casio keyboards as good?

The Yamaha keyboard cost $189 and Casio is $129 at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Casio+-+Portable+Keyboard+with+61+Full-Size+Touch-Sensitive+Keys/8885664.p?id=1211455041863&skuId=8885664&st=casio%20keyboards&cp=1&lp=2

http://www.epinions.com/prices/Yamaha_Watch_Learn_Video_for_Ez150_Ez250i_Keyboards

Is the yamaha worth the extra money at this age and why?

Looks like an interesting keyboard, but do note that the videos are primarily for teaching you how to use the keyboard, it’s features, etc., and not how to play a keyboard. So this is valuable if you wish to know all the ins and outs of the keyboard and you don’t think you can learn it just by reading the manual.

There are probably cheaper keyboards with decent sound and accurate pitch. FYI, I bought a no-brand one from Toys R Us for only something like $70 or less, and had an assortment of standard stuff you find in synthesizers (5-octaves, touch-sensitivity, accurate pitch, pitch modulator, sustain pedal jack, midi in/out). As someone who used to play the synthesizer, I was amazed at how cheap it was for the quality. It seems as if it was made by a China factory which produced synthesizers for brand names, and which just packaged one together with all the same features and maybe just changed the look of it or something. Things to look out for to distinguish such keyboards from mere ‘toys’:

• touch sensitivity (see how much it responds to how hard you press) - toys will give you the same loudness or just 2-3 different variations.
  • accurate pitch - perhaps bring along an ipod where you know what note is being played, and play it back on the keyboard. or buy a tuning fork.
  • sustain pedal jack
  • midi in/out
  • pitch modulator wheel

The last three (or at least last 2) are not actually necessary, but if you see them, then it’s not likely to be a toy!

Take a look at American Musical Supply. I just bought a Yamaha YPT210 61 Full-Size Keyboard for $80. I’m not an expert in evaluating instruments, but it seems to me to be great quality.