Xylophone Versus Tuning Forks

I priced out the Walker tuning forks and they are just out of our range right now, having spent so much money already getting this early education program started (I just found out about right brain education, doman, etc). I would say I will buy them down the road, but they are so expensive that I doubt we’ll ever get them.

I read a blog of a doman inspired parent and she uses a Angel Glockenspiel 25 note xylophone. I went ahead and purchased that model on Ebay, now I am wondering if I wasted my money? Well, truthfully my kids and I will get a kick out of playing with it regardless, but in regards to learning pitch, will it get the job done?

Thanks!

Hi, I am no music expert (I believe there are many on this forum), but I can tell you what Pamela Hickein and Wennie Sun (co-founders of Tweedlewink and Rightbrainkids.com) said:

She said that the Xylophone doesn’t go out of tune like pianos do, and so it’s a really good second to the tuning forks. So I don’t think you wated your money.

This is what i like about this forum we get to learn a lot.
I had no idea of what tunning forks was but googling it i see they are very expensive. Are they used and for babies in your area?

Also I learn of their healing power, a very interesting information on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcxHIbHEpw&feature=related

If you are in to music i recomend Trebellina for your baby. My grandson like it and he has a very good pitch. I am sure you and your child will enjoy your xylophone.

If you use it, you certainly didn’t waste your money! Xylophones have a duller pitch than glockenspiels (Xylophones are made of wood and glockenspiels are made of steel), and that’s what I bought for our family, but I think what you bought looks like a good one. The advantage of the xylophone is that you can teach your kids to read music with it as well. Orff Schulwerk uses mallet percussion a lot in their methods, you might look into it to help get the most out of your purchase. Good luck!