Writing query pls! 31month old.

My daughter is 31 months now and I’m just wondering when babies typially start to write instead of scribbling.

She holds her pencil the right way, she actually has held it properly since she was just over a year old and I assumed that meant she would write early. She loves scribbling a lot and colouring too. She only manages to write 1! When she tries to draw a circle, she draws concentric rings instead of just one circle. Also she doesn’t seem to get the hang of joining the dots yet.

So my queries are;

1. What age (on the average) do they start writing. If 31 months is too early, maybe i should just concentrate on building her motor skills

2. How can I help her write better?

3. Is there any article or any information on developmental milestones on writing ie what age they make marks, do scribbles, copy circles etc.

Thanks a lot.

I will try to find a milestone chart for you online, but of course every child is different. Just offering paper and a pen/pencil as much as possible and modeling the behavior you want them to imitate is the best way to encourage writing. Have you considered mazes? Slip them in plastic sleeves and reuse with a dry erase marker. Also, check out http://tvteachervideos.com/