WOW - soooo happy!!!

Hi everybody,

My daughter read her first words today morning!!! I’m sooo happy about that, that it works, I have almost thought, it just doesn’t work for her…

I began teaching my little daugther, when she was 11 months old, we did the whole 12-month curriculum (I translated it in our language). Sometimes I showed her also hand mady flashcards or put cards on the wall, for instance “clock” besides our clock at the wall, etc. But she didn’t seem much interested in it, so I stopped these cards. But I didn’t stop with the LR. Since we finished the curriculum, I make presentations for her and she enjoys them really. I thought, it is not such a big problem, if she doen’t learn to read, because she learns vocabulary and a lot of other things in the presentations.

Then, about a week ago, I tried again with hand made (printed) flashcards. I printed the words in big red letters and showed her the cards 3 times daily for one week. Today I showed her again, like every morning, and noticed, that she just said the words, BEFORE I said them. Wow, I was sooo happy! Finally!

By the way: she is now almost 24 months old, so I show her this different words since 1 year and today was the first time, I really saw the evidence, that it works!!! :smiley:

So: don’t give up, if you don’t see immediate results. They will come!

That is great. You must be thrilled. Keep it up. I bet she knows more than she is expressing. She is probably busy integrating all of it.

Keep us posted of her her progress,
Lori

Way to go! Keep up the hard work. It is hard work but so well worth it all.

Congratulations!

My son is still teasing me by not ‘reading’ aloud. He is deliberately saying the wrong thing when I question him- I will keep doing what I am doing, who knows he may just pick up a book and start reading it someday…wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Hooray for you and your little one, Lolobride!

I remember that same ecstatic feeling when my little guy purposefully kicked his legs when I showed him the word kick. I know your excitement! And WAY TO GO with hanging in there! 12 months is a long, long time - I’m glad you didn’t give up! I’m sure that there were times that you questioned it, but now - well - Yippeee!!! Your baby CAN read!

Great job to you and your little one!!

lol what a great post about encouragement - it just goes to show that kids really DO know more than they let on! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your answers! Oh, yes, it was a bit hard to keep it up for 1 year. Mainly because I read in the forum and everybody seemed to see results after a few months. So then I just thought, maybe my daugther couldn’t learn to read by sight. I planned to teach her phonics reading , when she turns 2.5.

But now I’m really happy with this result and she likes the flashcards a lot!

HI Lolobride ,

Did you use only hand made flash cards and LR or did you anyother thing also to teaxh your baby?

We used only a few times printed flashcards (and now regularly started a week ago with bigger red fonts) and LR. I also read a lot to her, and moved my finger under the lines, but I think, she never looked at the letters lol

Wow! Congrats! Keep up the good work. So happy to hear such good news.

Many congratulations!! You’ve shown that it just takes love and patience!