Would you teach "fridge" or "refrigerator", etc?

Here are some of the long/short words I can think of:

TV - television
phone - telephone
fridge - refrigerator
plane - airplane/aeroplane
bike - bicycle

Please share your personal opinion as to which version of the words above you would teach, when first teaching your child.

Thanks!

refrigerator, TV, phone, plane or airplane, bike

I taught my son refridgerator, television, airplane, telephone, bicycle first then bike.

we don’t have short versions of these particular words,
but words like grandmother (vecmāmiņa - ōmiš) I teach exactly as we speak it; it is in a jargon + dialect but sounds very sweet :slight_smile:

Kids are smart, the harder the better!! if you teach them the correct way they will learn it, don’t disesteem them!
try it…

I taught my son shortened for that time i thought it is better if it is short. :laugh:

TV , telephone, fridge, aeroplane, bicycle.
for me its the word that we use in our daily life…

I would teach both ways, the proper way, and the shortened or slang way. Eg. Hippo, hippopotamus. Rhino, rhinoceros. I’d even teach refrigerator as well as fridge even though Aussies never use this word.

I am teaching my son the television, telephone, refrigerator, aeroplane and bicycle. After he really can understand those words then i just add in those shortened words. Sure i will explain to him both are the same thing (eg: television and tv).

i am teaching the short names, but i used to tell him the long names as well. :wink:

We’ve been doing to longer names unless is it something that is very important to my child such as “belly.”

I have been teaching airplane because that is what most people say in the US. Aeroplane is more British (my American spellchecker doesn’t even recognize it.) Otherwise I have been teaching both words, I think they can handle it. I usually explain that we can call it this or we can call it that. Why limit their vocabulary? Besides, many things have more than one word to associate with it, and my kids have already seen this in books. The other day I was going through a new picture book with my daughter (18 mo) which had a picture labeled “hen” but we had always called them “chicken.” I kept saying “hen,” she kept pointing to the picture & looked a little frustrated. Then I explained that there are girl & boy chickens & we call them hens and roosters. She was very happy with my explanation.

EDIT
When I first read this thread I didn’t scroll all the way up to see the poll & misunderstood the question. We normally talk about both the short & long forms of words and we see both in books. If I am making a flashcard, I prefer the long forms since they see more short words this gives them variety in word length. The exception is when they already know the short form (usually introduced by signing time) then we use the short form of the word.

Thanks for the input - please keep them coming!

hmm I would teach them the written word - so in that case if it’s something like Television, since it’s also written TV so both… but in other stuff like slang words… i figure they’ll pick them up in conversation they don’t need to be in their reading vocabulary now…

TV, phone, refrigerator, airplane, bike