would you buy those for your star war lover son

my son just turned four and is reading . He found a copy of star war movie in our dvd cabinet and kwpt asking us to watch it . i did and now we have our own star war worrier in gambia .
He loves it asking for star wars leggo , star wars story books ,… i was wondering would it be wise to get him star wars readers to encourage reading . i never used themed readers with tina , we just read regular books and borrowed some scholastic readers from a friend school teacher .
i always loved to spend money on real classics .
i am not sure why i am tempted to make my little boy happy and get him star wars dk readers :unsure: do you think this is bad and will make him more obsessed and better hook him on more realistic non fiction books ?? would like to know how you feel about it .
xxx
viv

. I am in two minds on this one. The boy next door loves action figures, super heroes etc his mum bought him spiderman and other readers and he devoured them! He loved them. He reads very well for his age, he is at the level Tiana reads at but is more fluent than her. She has better comprehension. So that’s the delema…these books don’t do anything to develop their comprehension but they certainly do help them learn to read and give them good reading practice. Plus the boys love them!
I think if he is a reluctant reader ( like the boy next door was) then buy them. Any reading is better than none! He will obviously enjoy them. You cannot however really use them as a substitute for other “classics” if you can find a way to use both styles of book then go for it! Perhaps let him read the star wars ones in his reading time and you select a chapter in something else each day? At least you can be sure your money won’t be wasted, he will read them.
Now that I think about it although I never bought any leveled readers like that I did buy both my girls their favourite series and I bought Tiana a set of fancy Nancy early readers which she read well before she would have attempted anything that hard from school. So I guess that’s almost the same thing :smiley: to be completely honest though I would never have bought them barbie books!

I have my own star wars lover. I would say a few of those books are definitely okay, my boy has a few as well. But I think even better are the satr wars legos. They help teach reading (by reading the directions) plus logic and small motor skills. After they build them they can play with them or reassemble them. It is much more creative play than action figures.

We check out Star Wars books from the library, or Diego, or whatever, but we only check out one or two of them. The rest are more educational. He loves the entertainment for entertainment’s sake ones, but he grows tired of them and gets to the other ones too. I look at Star Wars the same way I do at dessert. It’s fine to have moderate helpings, but it shouldn’t make up the whole diet. They need to learn to love veggies too, so to speak. However, when he was first learning how to read, I mostly checked out Diego and Thomas the Train books because they were what motivated him the most. If it’s used to learn HOW to read, then for that sake, it’s “more nutritious”. That’s how I look at it. Although at 5 he still reads Star Wars, his favorite books are The Magic Treehouse and his anatomy book.

I don’t know if that helps or not. Good luck! I’m sure that if you did get them, he would love them and the money would not be wasted.