Words learned from reading Rapunzel

Ever since I became aware of the Hayes-Ahrens study that stressed the importance of reading to our babies, I have been looking at books a bit differently. It emphasized that when we read to children, they are exposed to words that they would not encounter through daily interactions with adults.

I have always loved books, and I delight in reading to my children, but I’ve never viewed books as a powerful means to teaching new vocabulary. However, that is exactly what reading to children does. It familiarizes them with language, especially new and unfamiliar language. That is why it is so important to read to our children. It makes it much less difficult for them to later read words that they have interacted with before. They become familiar with how the words are used and what they mean.

With this in mind, I realized all of the new words my 2 year old daughter was learning as we read Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky. The illustrations are just beautiful and my daughter loves the book and wants to hear it again and again. By rereading the book, the new words are being stored in her brain for future use and reference. I really have to agree with the study. I can’t think of a situation, except when reading a book, when we would choose to use some of the following words.

luxuriant
craving
wretched
abundance
elegant
inquired
embraced
misery
landscape
plummeted
sheared
consented
vision
Reading a book to your child seems such a small investment of your time, for such large rewards. And besides that, it is so much fun. :slight_smile:

You can read more posts like this by visiting my blog at www.teachingbabytoread.com.

It is true that you learn words from reading books that you might not know/learn otherwise. I learned a lot of the words I know today from books. Some of them I am not even sure how to pronounce still as I have never heard them said out loud but I do know what they mean and look like when I see them.

Thanks for sharing, Krista. I agree it’s helpful to read a variety of books with words that you may not speak that often. The more words a child hears, the better.

I read in a Mem Fox book (she’s an Aussie childrens author) that to read earlier (not the Doman way, more the natural progression of being read to way) a child needs to be read from books 1000 words a day, or the equivalent of 3 books a day.

I have read your blog a few times. Will you be posting these sorts of words (just words, no pics) for us all to download? Or will one of us have to do it? If you’ve already got a pdf of these words I’m sure we’d like them…

Wow good words. I will have to check out this book. I have checked out your blog and it really good.

Wow thats really good!!!