Why Smart People Do Stupid Things

You might find this interesting.

Why Smart People Do Stupid Things“Studies show that a good way to improve critical thinking is to think of the opposite. Once this habit becomes ingrained, it helps you to not only consider alternative hypotheses, but to avoid traps such as anchoring, confirmation and myside bias.”

Try to solve this problem before reading on. Jack is looking at Anne, but Anne is looking at George. Jack is married but George is not. Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?

Yes No Cannot be determined

http://www.kurtkleiner.com/stories/ut.why.smart.people.do.stupid.things.html

Chris.

Thank you Chris1!

This is great article! It totally made sense and I recognized my self from this. I seem to be often making very quick decisions or having quick opinions on different kind of topics (should my dad buy a house? should I buy certain stocks?, you name it) without realizing I don’t have enough knowledge on the topic. Rationality would be to NOT choose the instant option that pops-up to my mind as these solution but to think the topic further. Maybe the original problem is that I trust too much on my ability to get the answer right and forget to analyse other options.

We once had a test in a project training course where we were supposed to build as long bridge of Lego bricks as possible. As it turned out the optimal way was to turn the bricks 90 degrees so additional weight wouldn’t break the bridge (they can bear more weight vertically than horizontally). This was ten years ago, and I still feel angry I didn’t get the solution. :nowink:

I can’t help thinking rationality could be the reason why so many companies just keep on improving their products when they should be finding better solutions to their customer’s problems. I will start working on these topic as a personal development activity.

Kristiina

Well this is really a great article and i like this article because I found many things which are interesting in this site… Anyhow thanks for sharing, i like it.

This article was very interesting and funny.