why dont people understand the importance of childhood

people ask me not to spoil the baby’s childhood making her to learn through my teaching program. they are telling that im neglecting her childhood if im pushing too much on teaching her.

how do i reply to them???

Have you read these? http://www.brillbaby.com/early-learning/for-against-early-learning.php

http://forum.brillkids.com/coffee-corner/explaining-this-to-others!/

One of my favorite quotes on the matter is:

“Those who say we must not rob the child of his childhood by inflicting learning on him tell us nothing of the child’s view on learning but a great deal about what he himself thinks of it.” – Glenn Doman

Whenever someone approaches me in a critical way about teaching my son at such a “young” age I tell them that little kids memorize everything so why not give them something worth memorizing? Most kids, by the time they reach school, have memorized the names hundreds of cartoon characters, pop stars, animals and objects, commercial jingles, nursery rhymes, etc. Mozart goes into their ears as easily as Pop Goes the Weasel, and Monet goes into their eyes just as easily as cheap cartoons. They will learn the names of presidents just as easily as they learn the names of pop stars. Learning shapes like trapezoid and decagon are no more difficult than circle and square, and learning the location of clavicle, skull, and patella are just as easy as shoulder, head, and knee.

If you want to talk about the problem of “lost childhood” then we need to be discussing the average preschooler who, before he reaches school age will have spent more hours in front of the television than it takes to earn a college degree. Certainly, as Janet Doman points out, “The myth of lost childhood applies more appropriately to children who are raised by a fatigued, stressed, distracted parent, without a plan, who fits the child in between everything else going on in their lives.”

All in all, I try not to talk about it because, frankly, very few people truly understand and are more likely to come to the conclusion “Abuse!” then they are to come to the conclusion “Genius!” If people think you’re crazy for teaching your baby to read, just don’t tell them. When he’s five years old and reading novels, very few people will doubt the wisdom of such instruction. However in the meantime, you’re better off to just not mention it but if you have to, just bring up the arguments stated above, that children ARE learning all the time, and that children WANT to learn (talk about how your baby enjoys it).

For one last great quote on the matter,

“We have succeeded in keeping our children carefully isolated from learning in a period of life when the desire to learn is at its peak. The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. Between nine months and four years the ability to absorb information is unparalleled, and the desire to do so is higher than it will ever be again. Yet during this period we keep the child clean, well fed, safe from the world about him - and in a learning vacuum.” -Glenn Doman

SOOOOOOO true!!!

why dont people understand the importance of childhood

That’s something I need to battle against when acquaintances mock at me for being so kiasu (singaporean term - afraid of losing out). My child have bookshelves full of books with very little toys. And they have loved books and it was entertainment to them! They do not even fancy spending too much time watching TV programs and I’m even hesitating if we should throw our television away as we are not dependent on those programs telecast. The programs are really nothing but violence and pure gruesome scenes. We see no value in the box that is placed right in the middle of our living room.

I know of people whose children have entered kindergarten and the parents are hoping the teachers will teach their children ABCs :ohmy: for they had no time to even teach their children that. And of course, they are parents who babysit their children with television programs 24/7.

people ask me not to spoil the baby's childhood making her to learn through my teaching program. they are telling that im neglecting her childhood if im pushing too much on teaching her.

how do i reply to them???

Well, it’s really up to individual parents to teach their children and you should not be too concerned what their views of you (as a parent). For me, I’m used to such mockery and criticisms. What matters most is you know deep-down that you have done the right thing for your child. Why waste that time to start some debate with them and trying so hard to change their views. I spend my time cracking my brains trying to think of new ideas to teach my boys.

I know it’s been said often on this forum, but it is worth repeating. Learning must be joyful for the parent & child. If you are following this rule, how can you be neglecting her childhood? I think people who criticize do not understand how early learning really works.

Hi Winth,

I live in Singapore also. It’s true that it’s hard to find like-minded parent. Maybe we can meet? I’m in the east.

Joan

Joan/Winth, you could also make use of this thread:
http://forum.brillkids.com/coffee-corner/singaporeans-and-malaysians!/

If there are enough of you who want it, we could even create a “Singapore corner” board for you… :slight_smile:

That’s great. Thanks!

Being patience and by telling them the right words and value of things.

I agree that letting them know how much your child enjoys learning and the things you are teaching is the way to go, or simply avoiding the discussion altogether- although I know this isn’t always possible.