Which homeschooling Method are you thinking of or are currently using?

juliguli,

I have attached the list of books that are must reads prek-6th. These are not necessarily all the books we’ll read. And I’m going to do some rearranging as my LO gets older as this whole EL thing changes everything. And I’m not going to do history like I did before. I am running two streams of history at the same time. That is a Charlotte Mason thing and I see no reason for it not to work. The European history/American history is an Ambleside Online thing. Charlotte thought you should do your country history along side world history. America is a young country so they went to Western Civ along side World History. I am not sure how I am going to do this yet. Possibly Eurpoean/American or just family/American as our family history would cover much of European history as well. This means many of the books on the list will have to be rearranged as we make changes in our plan of study. This list is not meant to cover history at all. I just think the books are good and want my child to read them. History is a different set of titles and that has morphed a bit over time as I find books I love.

This is how I did history. There was no curriculum per se. I didn’t use a spine the first time around other than Usborn’s Encyclopedia of World History We just covered it chronologically. I made a list of books that I wanted to read that covered the time period. I try to make literature and history match, but that doesn’t always work as some books can be read at an early age but that doesn’t mean they should be. So, my son might be reading a book covering late 20th century when in history we are covering Early Middle Ages. That isn’t a big deal, but I try to keep it to a minimum. We have taken a couple summers and chosen to do a World History Survey Course and also American History Survey. Usually we’ll watch a video series by the Teaching Company and then pick books to read that go along with it. Your local library might carry a bunch of Teaching Company material, you should check it out. We’ve also used summers to cover things like the Civil War in depth. I usually left those kinds of decisions up to my kiddo. Except the survey courses. We did a World History Survey when my son was 8 and then again before we started the Omnibus. Then before each new term of the Omnibus we’ll do a Teaching Company lecture series that covers the same period. That will usually take a month to complete. I don’t start testing or recording grades until 7th grade. As prior to that they are learning and learning to learn. And for all practical purposes it doesn’t matter. We do everything to mastery regardless of how long it takes. So, on history I don’t do quizzes or tests. We talk about what we are reading. I introduce ideas that we will encounter.later. You will know as a parent whether your child has mastered something if you are paying attention. The goal is to get them to talk about what they know and what they have gleaned. It is good to ask questions concerning the Great Ideas to get them to start thinking.

We used a timeline book. Much like what you see on the link I gave you with the historical figures. Only we drew ours and wrote stuff in. I used a 3 ring binder and cardstock. Pretty basic. My son likes to draw so he did his as he wanted. The historical figures can be used in a lot of ways. Note-booking or narration pages, adding them to a timeline. Bingo cards and other games can be made from them. Never forget flashcards.

Here is the thing about teaching other viewpoints whether you are Christian, Hindu, Athiest, or Shaman: We all swim in this soup together. So, everyone living in the West today has been distinctly shaped by the Reformation whether you like it or not. Whether a Christain likes it or not, much of what we call “Christian Doctrine and Practice” is heavily influenced by Greek philosophers. There is no one alive in the West that can escape Augustine even if they have no idea who he is or read a single word of his writing. The point of the Great Books/Classical education is partly to trace these ideas back and see what kind of effect they have had on our culture.

To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child.

CICERO

cokers,
I want a hallway like yours but my oldest son nixed it. I am now waiting for him to move out so I can use the walls of his room. lol

As far as books to read other than my list go here: http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html Look through the Charlotte Mason stuff. In the meantime, I have to find my master list, it is not on this computer and I’m hoping it is in a hard drive somewhere.

I am still going to get the progym post to you. Not tonight.

Oooh. I love the Teaching Company’s lectures.

And thank you for the book list Sonya.

Juliguli,

Ella started spelling CVC words when she was 2.5 using the Montessori Crosswords app on the Ipad. I then decided to order AAS because I wanted a phonics-based spelling program, but didn’t get to start it with her until she was a month shy of 4 (due to a lot of traveling and moving cross-country and then internationally). In hindsight, I could probably have started AAS earlier since she is just really breezing through it now. We are almost halfway through the 7-level program, and she is showing no signs of slowing down even though I have started dictating each spelling word/phrase and having her write them down, instead of using the letter tiles. She really likes this program and loves being able to spell independently when she is writing her stories or even just text messaging her dad. lol

For History, we are also using Usborne’s Encyclopedia of World History as our spine, supplemented by Gombrich’s A Little History of the World (we are using the illustrated edition and the audio CDs), Story of the World (book and CDs), Jim Weiss recordings, Yesterday’s Classics ebooks, as well as lots of storybooks and hands-on materials. It is working out great for us! :smiley:

Thank you everyone for all your ideas.

Right now, my son is 13 months, and we just discovered doman when he was about 8 months old, didn’t start using any cards until 9 months old (I read through the books and that’s how long it took me to do that and prep). Even since then, we really havn’t been consistent because of travel until about 2 months ago and we just got LR, and little math and muscian (all of which he loves!). We also have lebelled most things in our house (back when he was 8 months old) and now he loves walking through the house pointing to every label. I love reading to him and he loves his books, which are in baskets all over the house, and so we randomly walk into any room and can pick up a book.

Anywho, all that to say, we are really excited about this whole early learning process and loving the fact that even in the last few months to see his excitement and love for this. It is wonderful to find a forum-full of people that love discussing early learning. With my family and friends, I usually get negative remarks for my excitement and Titus’ progression.

So, for homeschooling, based on what I have gleaned from these forums, we are going to do an eclectic approach. I want to keep him challenged, so I want to have ideas of where to go for the most challenge in each discipline, and also not limit him in areas where I do not feel super confident (art, music, history, creative stuff:-) If in any discipline, it doesn’t end up being his strongsuit, then it is easier to drop things/go slower than to be scrambling to add things to keep up with him and have no idea how (at least for my hyper-planning brain).

So, here is kinda a rough outline of what we are thinking for each area, in roughly chronological order:

MATH:
For math, we are planning to continue with little math, reaidng through marshmellow math, then MEP, jones genius, rightstart math, jumpstart math, soroban, possibly singapore math, hands on equations, calculus by and for young people, khan academy, AoPS. The reason for so many is that I feel very confident with math and thus confident that I could pull the best from several areas/curriculums and present in a way my son understands. As I said, I also want to be able to keep up with challenging him. Ooh, and I got zometools geometry set (thanks aangeles for mentioning that homeschoolbuyeers co-op was having a sale on this one).

ENGLISH LANGUAGE:
For learning to read, we will continue with LR and with other flashcards I got at this site: http://www.childandme.com/ (awesome source of powerpoints for reading/math/encyclopedic knowledge, spanish and russian powerpoint flashcards, as well as links to other sites). We will continue to point out words where we see them and labelling our home. We will also take nadia0801’s suggestion and put flashcards along the wall in the hallways, up and down from him, so he has to bend for some, reach for some, make it a game. If he does not intuit phonics, and just to solidify his learning, we may also go through how to teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. We will continue to read many many books together as well.

For writing, we have started “journaling” where I write what he says (his signs and babbling, and some words), and then he draws. I will also write him little notes on a little whiteboard for him to discover in the morning when he wakes up and then we will read it together, and down the line, he can “answer” me on the whiteboard. We will do montessori-inspired pre-writing activities that fine-tune his small motor movement (knobbed cylinders-how you hold them- he loves doing these and fitting them into their holes, connect4 game-he just loves putting the plastic coins in, cutting, tracing, etc). We will then follow up with montessori-style writing activities (moveable alphabet, sandpaper letters etc). We may do Handwriting Without Tears. For spelling/vocab, we will check out AAS, worldy wise 3000, and your Child Can Discover.

Once he has learned to write, we will try to follow the progym, possibly using classical compositions as our base curriculum with some logos press stuff, though we are also considering omnibus, IEW, and Writing With Ease/Skill. I may supplement with some grammar-specific things like First Language Lessons, and Brian McCleary grammar storybooks.

SOCIAL SCIENCES
For geography, I will use Beginning Geography as a jumping off point, and then choose books and things based on that (as suggested by aangeles on another post).

For history, I will buy Usborne’s Encyclopedia of World History and Story of the World as both come highly recommended by many people on here that I respect. I may or may not use those as a spine. We will check out the usborne young reading books about various people in history. I will also probably try omnibus (though I am not sure when to start this-on their website it seems like they begin with second grade)/classical conversations music cds/ amblesideonline.org. Oh, and I will make a timeline or timeline book. I may also supplement books from http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/ . Thank you sonya_post and others for really sparking my interest in history as I never really have been before. I am actually excited to teach it, because I feel I will be learning it really truly for the first time (not just studying up to pass a test)!

PHYSICAL SCIENCES
We will possibly do BFSU, mini set from particlezoo.net, free activity books etc from http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/colormephysics/index.cfm (thanks annisis), zometool stuff, chemistry stuff from http://portal.acs.org:80/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_TRANSITIONMAIN&node_id=878&use_sec=false&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=d2bbecdb-6c08-4b91-99ed-a4295baa0e7e (thanks kerileanne99), real science 4 kids, peter wetherhall’s dvds, and videos from makemegenius.com (thanks TeachingmyToddlers).

RIGHT BRAIN
We will buy tweedlewink, and wink down the line, as well as memory magic. We will also do many puzzles and other right brain activities as suggested by many on these forums.

MUSIC
Little musician, then soft mozart, then lessons of some sort (I really lack in this area).

ART
Draw write now, art atelier.

PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Loosely following doman activities. Later, plan to enroll in martial arts and run/playground at home.

OTHER LANGUAGES
Speaking Russian (me, grandparents on my side), ASL (me, deaf friends), and Afrikaans (my husband, grandparents on his side) to him. Will start LR flashcards as well. Awesome that there are some Afrikaans ones on there! That is hard to come by. For Russian, we may add some things from umnitsa later.

OTHER
We will also continue some montessori inspired sensorial and practical life activities. He loves setting his place, helping me unload his dishes into his little drawer, vaccum, scoop and pour the dog food etc. For sensorial, he loves the knobbed cylinders and pink tower (only 3 blocks of it so far), stacking/nesting by size etc. We will also study the bible, but to me, that is really in and through everyday life as well, so it is not a separate curriculum, but just a regular part of our life.

I’ve gotten several requests regarding how to use the progymnasmata exercises.

The first place I’d begin is with this little book : The Writer’s Workshop: Imitating Your Way to Better Writing

This book will give very specific examples of how to approach writing by imitation. The exercises will be over a child’s head. This is not for them, it is for you.

Next: I’ve given a detailed list of when we will begin the exercises of the progym. When we are reading books or stories in any subject I am always on the lookout for examples to use as an assignment. Great descriptions of people and places, great speeches, favorite stories for retelling. I keep them in folders for each progym exercise.

In pre-k through 3 we read copious amounts of fairy tales, folk tales, myths and fables. I don’t like to read just one author. We will read different versions and retellings and then compare them. We do this even if we aren’t using the story for the progym. But if we are using a story for the progym then we will definitely read several accounts. You should be able to discuss with your child the differences in the stories. I’d ask questions about what makes different versions more or less likeable. There is no right or wrong answer. This is to get them to think.

Next, go over any vocabulary the child doesn’t know. This is where I’d get out a thesaurus and look up synonyms. This is purely so the child begins to grapple with the nuances of language. You might look up the words and some of the synonyms in a dictionary so you can help the child to determine if other words would have worked in the situation or what words came up as synonyms but don’t work at all in the context. This is where you’d also go over words that might be a spelling hazard and write them down.

Next – make an outline of the story. It should include people, places and events. A child should be able to look at the story and retell it from the outline. But it should not include every detail.

Last – retell the story.

In kindergarten – early 2nd grade this is where you finish. If my child is doing all his own writing – I am going to check for spelling mistakes on the rough draft and then write them in a spelling notebook. These should be studied and tested later on. Most spelling mistakes are from laziness. When my son realized that he was going to have to write the words 20 times, give me the spelling rule for the word, and then be tested, his spelling improved dramatically. We are also checking for proper grammar.

The final version – this should be written in the child’s best hand writing if the child is doing all the writing and kept in a notebook.

When the children are ready you can change things up a bit. Cut the story down to 50 words. What happens when you do this? Can you really shorten the story this much? Think of other stories that are similar to this one. Even if the plot of the story is common how does it change when we add different elements. Find stories that share the same plot and compare them. Now take the plot and rewrite the story with different characters in a different time. Rewrite the story as a newspaper article. Retell it from a different point of view.

I give out one assignment a week. In middle and high school it depends on the assignment. You will probably want to get a decent Rhetoric book then or go to a curriculum. I like Farnsworth 's Classical Rhetoric. It is not a curriculum rather, it is a list of rhetorical devices with lots and lots of examples of excellent writing. I looked through Classical Composition stuff and it looks good especially for the older grades. Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student is very good. There is a lot of good stuff out there.

When you get to the proverbs, invective, confirmation and refutation I just went through what we had read or heard about in the news. I might search the internet to see if someone has picked it apart. This will help me get a different point of view. Discuss the writing and follow the the previous format. And then apply the same style of argument to a different subject. Maybe here is where you want to think about a curriculum. Now that I think about this, there is a lot I just can’t explain – you are going to have to have a decent grasp of rhetorical devices and how to make arguments.

Descriptions: We love literature and stories in our house. My son and I have always found great joy in sharing descriptions we find in books. I’ll photocopy sections and put them in a folder for use later. What makes a good description? How does the use of words create mental images? What kind of mental images is the author trying to create by using this description.

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud
to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
They were the last people you’d expect to be involved in
anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn’t hold
with such nonsense.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty,
wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor
yet a dry sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat:
it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort. . . . This hobbit
was a very well-to-do hobbit, and his name was Baggins. The
Bagginses have lived in the neighbourhood of The Hill for time
out of mind, and people considered them very respectable, not
only because most of them were rich, but also because they
never had any adventures or did anything unexpected.
Mr. Dursley was the director of a firm called Grunnings, which
made drills. He was a big, beefy man with hardly any neck,
although he did have a very large mustache. Mrs. Dursley was
thin and blonde and had nearly twice the usual amount of neck,
which came in very useful as she spent so much of her time
craning over garden fences, spying on the neighbors. The
Dursleys had a small son called Dudley and in their opinion
there was no finer boy anywhere.

The mother of our particular hobbit—what is a hobbit? I
suppose hobbits need some description nowadays, since they
have become rare and shy of the Big People, as they call us. They
are (or were) a little people, about half our height, and smaller
than the beared dwarves. Hobbits have no beards. There is little
or no magic about them, except the ordinary everyday sort
which helps them to disappear quietly and quickly when large
stupid folk like you and me come bludering along. . . . They are
inclined to be fat in the stomach; they dress in bright colours
(chiefly green and yellow); wear no shoes, because their feet
grow natural leathery soles and thick warm brown hair like the
stuff on their heads (which is curly); have long clever brown
fingers, good-natured faces, and laugh deep fruity laughs
(especially after dinner, which they have twice a day when they
can get it).

The Dursleys had everything they wanted, but they also had a
secret, and their greatest fear was that somebody would discover
it. They didn’t think they could bear it if anyone found out
about the Potters. Mrs. Potter was Mrs. Dursley’s sister, but they
hadn’t met for several years; in fact, Mrs. Dursley’s pretended she
didn’t have a sister, because her sister and her good-for-nothing
husband were as unDursleyish as it was possible to be. The
Dursleys shudderd to think what the neighbors would say if the
Potters arrived in the street. The Dursleys knew that the Potters
had a small son, too, but they had never even seen him. This boy
was another good reason for keeping the Potters away; they
didn’t want Dudley mixing with a child like that.

As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit—Bilbo Baggins, that is—was
the famous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of
the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small
river that ran at the foot of The Hill. It was often said (in other families)
that long ago one ofthe Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife. That was, of
course, absurd, but certainly there was still something not
entirely hobbit-like about them, and once in a while members
of the Took-clan would go and have adventures. They discreetly
disappeared, and the family hushed it up; but the fact remained
that the Tooks were not as respectable as the Bagginses, though
they were undoubtedly richer.

When Mr. and Mrs. Dursley woke up on the dull, gray Tuesday
our story starts, there was nothing about the cloudy sky outside
to suggest that strange and mysterious things would soon be
happening all over the country. Mr. Dursley hummed as he
picked out his most boring tie for work, and Mrs. Dursley
gossiped away happily as she wrestled a screaming Dudley into
his high chair. None of them noticed a large, tawny owl flutter past the
window.
J.K. Rowling

By some curious chance one morning long ago in the quiet of
the world, when there was less noise and more green, and the
hobbits were still numerous and prosperous, and Bilbo Baggins
was standing at his door after breakfast, smoking an enormous
long wooden pipe that reached nearly down to his wooly toes
(neatly brushed)—Gandalf came by. Gandalf! If you had heard
only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only
heard very little of all there is is to hear, you would be prepared
for any sort of remarkable tale. Tales and adventures sprouted up
all over the place wherever he went, in the most extraordinary
fashion. . . . All that the unsuspecting Bilbo saw that morning
was an old man with a staff. He had a tall pointed blue hat, a
long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which his long white beard
hung below his waist, and immense black boots.
J.R.R. Tolkien

The above examples are wonderful descriptions and also mirror themselves. We used these excerpts for an assignment in 6th grade. How are these examples the same, different? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they set the stage for the stories? What are some of the best phrases? The list of things to discuss are endless. It is best if your children can discover this on their own with guidance from you. The assignment was to make a character description of someone he knew based on one of these models. It had to be the same number of paragraphs. It should sound similar. He could add other characters to help round out the assignment, but one of characters had to be someone he knew. You don’t assign this until a child has gotten used to taking these exercises and adding his own spin to them.

If you are starting with an older student, I would start at the fable stage and work up to the point you feel you need help and can’t do it anymore. A lot of time should be spent on those early exercises as they are putting lots and lots of material in their storehouse for later use. When I said one assignment a week, I meant one fully written composition a week. So, We would start one Monday and read the story and do the vocabulary work. On Tuesday we’d outline it the story. On Wednesday we’d work on a rough draft. Thursday correct it and then rewrite and turn it on Friday. This is not how it always worked. Sometimes we’d spend half a day on writing. If I want the child to then turn it in as a newspaper story I’d give a couple more days to do that. If we are spending some time with the story and doing multiple things with it, then there might be 2-3 compositions in a week.

Honestly, the place I would start is The Writer’s Workshop. It does an excellent job of walking through writing by imitation and how to do it, plus exercises that I haven’t discussed as it would take a book. You could get through most of elementary school using that book alone as your guide.

sonya_post,
Wow thanks for all the time and effort you took to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. I did finally figure out how to give karma points and gave some to you. Thank you!

Just going through my hard drive and came across this from a long while ago.and I remember using this a lot for a progym reference:

http://rhetoric.byu.edu/pedagogy/Progymnasmata/Progymnasmata.htm

A quick update on our progress in Writing:

After much reading and researching and comparing programs, I decided to start Ella on Writing with Ease as it seemed to be the most accessible (for her) and easily implemented (for me) program amongst the ones I was considering. It was basically open-and-go, which I very much appreciated as I was in the last months of my pregnancy and even more so now with a newborn. I was surprised at how much Ella LOVED reading the selections, narrating, summarizing, and writing down her thoughts. About half of the books in WWE 1 were ones we had read already but she still enjoyed re-reading them and doing the exercises. Here are a couple of pages she did on her own back in Nov when she was 4 years 4 months old. (see attached pics)

:slight_smile:

Impressive. And her handwriting is gorgeous. I can’t write that neatly.

Way to go Ella. Keep up the good work.

It’s beautiful I love your photos. Writing with ease is quite popular with home schoolers. I liked the look of it also. A bit like a writers workshop in kid format is it not?
Her handwriting is probably about a end of grade 1 level, I can’t tell how big her print is but she is clearly ready for cursive.