Which homeschooling Method are you thinking of or are currently using?

I have a 4 year old, 3 year old and 1 year old. I have been doing a lot of research in different curriculum and methods. Classical, Charolotte Mason, Calvert, etc.

I have definitely decided that I prefer a structured environment. I am not into the whole let the child guide you because my kids would guide me into a million different directions at one time. That would drive me crazy.

I am currently reading through “The Well-trained mind” and I do like its structure. However, for science, I am preferring “Building Foundations of Scientific Understand” by Dr. Nebel. It however doesn’t follow the classical methodology. I am probably not going to follow the math either as its too slow for me.

I do like the reading, writing, grammar, and history. I think limiting science to the history timeline is a bit limiting which is how the “Well trained mind” organizes it.

I wonder though if the classical method is limited overall by its methodolgy of grammar, logic and rhetoric stage. Its my only hesitation. I would ask in the “well trained mind” forum, but they generally don’t work with accelerated methods or early learners (for example Jones Geniuses that states your child could be doing algebra as early as 3rd grade). The classical method saves algebra for the logic stage when children are cable of thinking abstractly (according to “well trained mind”. However, I was under the impression that children could think abstractly earlier than sixth grade (which is when the logic stages begins).

If you read this book, I would like to know your take on it. If you are preparing your curriculum for your young early learners in the later years, what direction are you heading in? Is the classical method for you or is there another approach that works for you? What works for you and why it works if you home school older children already?

Thanks for any input.

I’ve been looking into Charlotte Mason, too. I love the idea of literature-based learning (being something of a bookworm myself), though I do think that no one method really gives what I want for my son :smiley:

I am currently using a mixture of EL methods and Montessori (the latter being very slow paced but I do think it helps him put all the facts he has learned into place and properly understand them). I plan to add a CM-style literature based curriculum once he is reading and understanding well (probably around 6) but continue with a more fast-paced maths and science program.

I do believe in following the child to some degree. I was one of those children this would have really benefited - I spent most of high school doing the mimimum homework so that I could focus on learning whatever language/time period/science had caught my interest and really just failed in learning anything properly :frowning: That is one of the benefits of homeschooling - we can get the ‘necessary’ stuff out of the way in half a day and leave the whole afternoon for child-led learning/fun!

The more I read about all these different methods the more I tend to use an eclectic approach. In the early years, until 6 years, without doubt I will use Doman, Montessori and Shichida methods. Slowly, I would adapt to other methods for different streams like WTM and CM for Language Arts and History; Classical methods for languages; Problem-solving based programs for Math; Inquiry based programs for STEM, etc. Btw, I will not be homeschooling just after-schooling.

We are doing eclectic and to be honest I think this is the route most homeschoolers go in the endeven if they mostly follow a learning style in the end all homeschooling is individualised to the family itself - ie we do what works. I follow the classical approach when it suits me, do unit studies when I know they will work well, make up my own thing for both reading and writing for now since the EL means the gap between reading and writing is larger than normal (she writes at a level way below what she can read because of fine motor skills not having caught up yet) I follow a few math curricula but move on as needed and science I plan to follow BFSU when it arrives. History we were using SOTW and will continue when the book turns up again (it went missing recently)

I would say… Ours is eclectic secular classical. With accelerated maths.

For science we plan to use BFSU initially. But I am doing it in a classical way. James is currently 2 and right now we are going through the first book. Next year the 2nd book and by the time he is 4-5 we will be doing the 3rd book.
We are lightly touching on each of the subjects. Mainly introducing the bigger concepts by reading books correlating to each chapter. In a few years, when James is 6,7,8 we will be revisiting the BFSU books 1,2,3 and we will be going more in depth. He will be journalling and doing experiments. And the second time around he will be reading the books that I read to him, by himself.
Once we have done the 2 rounds of BFSU we will then move onto a higher level of science. I am not sure what yet. But something that expands on the already established foundation that he will have. Oh and it will certainly involve more writing.

Math we are accelerating. He is just going to go through several programs at his own speed. He is currently doing Kindergarten level math. But we are currently drawing from several programs and playing a lot. I am not sure if we will stick with Right start, Miquon, Singapore, MEP, or maybe Saxon. Or even Khan Academy… I will figure out what works best for James in a few years when we have a better idea of his learning style. Right now it is just slow exposure and lots of play with a smattering of workbooks. I loved work books and text books for math and I myself would probably have loved Saxon. But there is no guarantee James will.

Reading has no formal instruction. James is a sight word reader but we do some phonics on the side. I want him to be able to read phonetically, but it is a struggle for him to blend and retain fluency and comprehension. . We are at a point that James can read easy books with a little assistance. He is picking up new words rapidly and I think he is intuiting phonics, but it could be just because he knows all his phonics, blends and digraphs.
He will continue to read on a variety of subjects. I read to him, he reads on his own. We are reading abridged classics, we read geography, history etc. In several years we will revisit these things that we have read and I will have James read more information and write about what he is reading. When he is older he will move into more advanced living books.

We love Story of the World for history right now. And we read from the What you ___ grader needs to know series.

In a few years we will start formal journalling. Grammar and vocabulary will be instructed through that as needed. (I never was given any formal grammar instruction and i was able to receive HD when i was doing my ancient history/philospohy major) i just read and wrote a lot. Perfect practice makes perfect. I know kids that can ace grammar exams but can’t formulate a paragraph. Worrysome. So James will do lots of writing. :slight_smile: writing for science, writing for history, writing for literature, and of course creative writing. And I will provide feedback.

Music art and physical education I think are important also. James is doing Little Muscisian right now and will receive a violin for his third birthday. If James does not take to a Muscial instrument there will be no pressure. But he will learn music appreciation and music theory.
We love the draw write now books, and might do mini masters or tskmething similar for art appreciation.
James will be doing team sports, maybe gymnastics at some point. Swimming, running, or what ever sport is available seasonally. Dance is also an option also.

Even though we are not homeschooling, I do like what the school does with the cycle 1 kids. They give the kids a work agenda so to speak on it is a list of academic tasks of which they need to complete they tick it off when each task is done. They are allowed to choose when they do each task and the teacher facilitates and make sure each task gets done.

I think it might be a great way for homeschoolers to give the kids ‘freedom in a controlled environment’ and hopefully end the battle of this must get done right now and spending 15minutes battling to get the task done.

Anyhoo Just an idea

Corkersforlife I know a huge number of kids who can think abstractly well before 6th grade. Both my girls can and I have never thought to test Jaykob but I am quite sure he could too. I base this on the random comments he makes while listening to the radio. I cannot believe what he interprets from the adds at times!
I certainly wouldn’t wait that long to introduce algebra. oh just a thought most of the kids who can think abstractly also have a great sence of humor. So slip some joke books and riddles into your program.
I only after school and so I have a bit more flexibility. I can skip the bits I find boring :biggrin:
We use story of the world ( in audio! I HIGHLY recommend the audio!) all of my kids LOVE it and request it often. As far as I am concerned that covers history! Never was a big fan of history :wink:
OFr math we use Saxon, IXL and , MEP and a very colorful $5 math book from Kmart. Different approaches for different kids :yes: But I do insist on some math, and I insist it is a complete curriculum as I just havnt yet seen any of my kids really challenged in math at school and what they do do, they don’t do enough of for mastery.
For geography we use visual world geography, montossori apps and utube clips. My kids love maps so this is never a chore for them.
For everything else WE READ! The kids all read ALOT. I had no idea just how much they actually did read until I tried to do a proper reading log. Wow what an effort! Anyway now I know I am careful to ensure a large and fresh selection of interesting fiction AND NON fiction is available all the time. I also stretch their reading ability by expecting a daily effort at a book of my choice ( with some consultation :biggrin: ) that is a bit tricky for them. Other wise I find they all just read easy books all day every day!
They often find themselves in the middle of a unit study without any intention on their part. One book strikes and interest so I jump on board and provide more on the topic. Thank goodness for my library card!
I slide in every opportunity I can. Educational TV, new apps, silk worms, farm visits, cooking, museums, art galleries, holiday programs…so many options for learning if you remember to spark and interest first and follow up after.

I hope to be homeschooling when my 2 year old hits age 6 - just have to convince my husband! (And then close my ears to the horror of my parents and sisters.) So I have a while to decide, but I’m considering a few options.

I will incorporate a few ideas from Charlotte Mason in whatever I choose: 15 minute lessons for young students, afternoons spent unschooling (I couldn’t do it all day but I think we can everything I require in the mornings and then set them free), literature-based learning using living books instead of textbooks, and narrations. But I want a little more structure.

One (FREE!) option is to use the Core Knowledge Sequence (http://www.coreknowledge.org/the-k-8-sequence) and the library to develop unit studies. I would also use MEP to help with math (http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm). I like unit studies because they let you get into a topic deeply and have lots of fun with it.

But though the CKS is more rigorous than our public school, it’s not as challenging as Classical education, and I want to raise my kids to be hungry for challenges. I feel that Classical education really does teach people how to learn, so that they know they can learn anything. I’m about to reread WTM (I last read it before my oldest was born) and I’ll see if I still like it. I might only use it for some areas.

I LOVE Korrale4kq’s idea about using BFSU classically; I think I’ll do that (karma for you!). I also liked nee1’s idea on the teaching toddler maths thread about using “Marshmallow Math” until she’s ready for Saxon 5/4 and 6/5, which have a free download link in that thread too. So once we’re done with that, maybe around age 8, I’ll decide where to go next (algebra?). I have a lot of “fun” math to do as well, but at age 6 she’ll be expected to sit down and do a page of problems from Saxon daily. I have “The Writing Road to Reading” and will use it to teach spelling (since she’ll already be reading). And I plan to listen to “Story of the World” with my kids and probably the “Classical Conversations” memory work CDs, just as background in the afternoons. What else is there? Art and Music might be from the Core Knowledge Sequence, unless I come up with something better. Those are resources I’ve already planned on, but I do want a unifying agent, either classical edu or CKS.

At age six, I think I’ll expect the following 15 minute lessons daily: Saxon math, fun math, spelling, me reading a classic that’s too hard for her (and written narrations), reading a challenging book to me (and written narrations), BFSU (keeping a journal), some form of history/geography (also with a journal), art or music. That’s two hours of 15 minute lessons. I may add in more or change this when I reread WTM, or if I decide to do CKS for everything. But I still want to finish everything in the morning (3 hours) so the rest of the day can be free.

Thank you for this thread, I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s responses. I suppose I’ll be mostly eclectic too.

I have read “Well Trained Mind”, and I have heard Bauer speak a few times. She is really amazing. I liked her book, and will probably do a lot of her ideas. I do have to say that for being a minister’s wife, her curriculum is surprisingly devoid of, well religion. That may or may not be what you want, but that was a turn-off for me personally. But I like the classical approach overall.

Bauer went to college early, and she doesn’t recommend it. I have sort-of been from the same camp because of her attitude towards it, but after reading some of our recent threads, I have changed my mind. In truth, I always wanted to go to college early myself, but it wasn’t an option for me. If there is one thing I have learned from EL, it’s to not hold back learning material when the kids are ready. But I do like the trivium idea.

Along the classical model, I’m actually leaning more to the Thomas Jefferson Education method. (learning through mentors) I have a lot of peers in my valley that do it, and I like the focus on building character that it has.

In truth, my kindergartener hasn’t really learned how to do “deliberate practice” yet, but we’re going to dig into it very soon. EL is relatively easy, and I’ve started to rest on my laurels. It’s time for me to dig in, and rise to the challenge of teaching my “gifted” kid. He needs it!

I also have looked a little into Unit Studies, which is nice for lots of kids, and what one book called “the contest method”, where you find contests and events like science fairs, and let your curriculum revolve around that.

I don’t know! I haven’t found my groove yet. Thank you again, everyone!

Unit studies interested me to, and I like the idea of lapbooks. Here is the thing I like the discipline of the classical method. It prepares you for a life of being able to study independently especially in college. Here is what worries me: Does the classical method take all the fun out of learning? Or is all the frills and bells of unit studies and lapbooks take away from creating a true love of learning? I am still contemplating this…I would love to know the thoughts of others.

As far as going to college early, there is the option of AP exams that you can take to earn college credit in high school. There are over thirty course options from history to calculus to several science subjects. That could be a route (way, way, way in the future for me). Of course the forums I have been lurking on do not have children starting math as early as on this forum, so I really don’t know how that is going to work.

Love everyone’s ideas. Thanks for sharing.

I am not a fan of unit studies… At least the thematics that younger kids do. There is a lot of fiddly craft stuff and very little content.
I do like lapbooks. I plan to make them with James as he gets older. I don’t consider them a way to learn content. I like to get content from books, videos and discussion. But I think lap books are a great way to review. I started making a Story Of the World Lapbook and we read through each little section and then we talk more about it. But making the Lapbook taught me very little.

Cockers do a search for classical conversation memory work lap books. I have seen quite a few nice ones. And there is one for purchase that I might get if we do more CC.

As to your question about classical education being boring I personally don’t think so. You can still make it lots of fun as you learn each stage. Grammar stage you can still teach the content with games, songs, stories, videos. And the children learn a little about a lot of subjects. They already have foundation vocabulary when they revisit the subject again during the logic stage. I like that with classical education the enjoyment is on the learning itself. I think many people want to learn more about something if they have some background knowledge of it. I know I do. The more I learn about something the more I want to learn. Then this goes off in learning tangents.
Maybe I am an oddity.

I am not sure what you see as unit studies, Korrale… I have seen some kindergarten and preschool “packs” which are probably considered unit studies that I am not so keen on as it simply seems a way to spend money and get a picture of something specific on every learning activity. However I have also done unit studies with my DD where she has learnt a lot - but then I cover quite broad topics - for examples - “plants” or “water” where we can discuss photosynthesis, buy plants and plant vegetables as well as read endless books about the topic and watch videos or for water discuss the water cycle, do various water experiments, swim, talk about the uses of water and where it goes after we bath etc - I have found if the topic/unit is borad enough then a tremendous amount can be learnt. However I use unit studies as extras and still do Math, Language Arts and Writing as separate subjects. I also only do unit studies when it suits me and when there is a suitable topic for it.

Interesting, I have never seen a unit-study product, although it doesn’t surprise me that they’re out there. There’s a product for everything these days!

Growing up, my family’s homeschool did a lot of fun unit studies. For example, when we studied medieval history, we found and sang medieval music, we made hodge-podge costumes, the boys made foam swords (a habit they still continue!), we found math problems with a medieval twist, we ate medieval food, etc, etc, etc. It was a lot of fun- some of my favorite homeschool memories were of our unit studies. The older kids did age-appropriate research and papers, younger kids had reading assignments on their level, and the tiny children learned by the general atmosphere the unit studies created. It was always fun to immerse ourselves in another culture as a family. Mostly we had our own math, spelling, and other core subjects individually, but the big stuff was done as a family.

I’m now curious to see what kind of packs are available, but I don’t think I would want to use one. We always checked out a slew of books on the topic from the library to use as our “base camp”. Unit studies can be amazing, but they are also a lot of work! We didn’t do them that often as a result, but when we did, we did it in style, and it was a great bonding experience for my siblings and I. Dad liked to be involved in the meal portions of our studies too! When I said it was good for lots of kids, I’ll clarify by saying it’s good for big families. It can be hard to keep up with every child’s individual needs educationally, and doing unit studies can help by letting the parent(s) focus in on one topic, and then teaching it on many levels.

I am only familiar with the unit studies for younger children up to 3rd grade that incorporate reading, writing, science, history, math. A lot of public school use them. The youngest of children do a lot of coloring, cutting, pasting, folding skill building.
The library has many books on these. And pininterst had many also. Scholastic makes packs. I don’t mind them as a fun supplement, how Tamsyn did them, but I have no found and unit studies that are a comprehensive program. But I have not really looked.
Personallh I like my subjects separate, and I like building foundations and moving in a sequence. I don’t like skipping around unit studies from penguins, to Little House on the Prarie, to Autumn, to Gingerbread cookies, to pirates. Or whatever available unit study piques my childs interest. If there were a program of comprehensive unit studies instead of randomly assorted areas of interest I might consider it.

I have heard FIAR is a good one. But I am not sure how much math and science is incorporated.

I did find an interesting article that is inline with my personal philopsphy and says it much better than I do.

The beauty of homeschooling though is the we are doing it for our kids. And who knows in 10 years we might be well into unit studies. Only time will tell.

I thought I’d weigh in on this subject since I’ve done it once all the way through and am about to do it again.

All of you are already homeschooling. Homeschooling is merely educating at home. If you are doing it after school then it is merely an issue of time not of activity. Early learning is home education at it’s finest. I read a study on what makes a successful math student. Not just one that does well on tests but ends up in the field of math. They looked at IQ, academic preschools, math education in school, daycare setting, education of parents, how much money parents made etc. The two most important factors were: whether the mother spent time teaching math in the early years and two whether the mother was Indian. Why? Evidently Indian mothers take math very seriously and their children are comfortable with numbers. What moms are doing at home is more important than almost anything else - provided she is teaching.

We used a classical approach with my son. I read the WTM - it is fine, but it’s actually more accelerated than classical. Classical education as defined today is really a methodology. It tells you what to teach and when to teach it. I’m not sure I buy into how Dorothy Sayers (Read Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning) linked these stages (The Trivium) with child development. If you want to suggest these as loose guidelines, then ok - but as rigid guidelines - not so much. Especially for early learners…it changes the ball game completely. You will never be able to follow the curriculum guidelines of the WTM. Your child is going to blast through those.

When thinking about how to approach this - and if you really want to understand classical education, not neo-classical which is we are talking about today - then I’d recommend the book “A History of Education in Antiquity”. The classical approach that we are supposed to be emulating isn’t as neat and tidy and many current writers would have you think. It is a dry academic book, but it is an eye opener. The author goes into why the Greeks and Romans did certain things and then how education remained alive in the middle ages and how children were taught.

I think Charlotte Mason is classical in her approach and more classical than many current pushers of classical curriculum. You really should read her writing and not just what others say about her. She would not approve of Early Learning or the methodologies employed. However, she was into brain training/memory training as were most of those in antiquity.

I am a fan of classical education because it gets results. I am a fan of Charlotte Mason in terms of approach - ridding yourself of worksheets as much as possible, busywork, etc. I am not a fan of lapbooks merely because so much time and effort goes into making them that it seems a waste by the time you are finished. We have used narration and notebooking extensively as a means to determine what my son is learning. It helps him determine what he find important. We will be doing the same with my LO. Notebooking really does solve lots of issues.

For writing we are using the progymnasmata model. We will start in kindergarten with narration and work our way up through high school combined with narration/notebooking this is plenty of writing. You can solve the problem of tedium of classical education (there shouldn’t be any if you are using real books) by giving a certain amount of time each week to let a child pursue his/her own interests. If that is directed in the beginning - this is a great opportunity to teach a child to teach himself. Which should be one of the end goals.

Other books I recommend when thinking about classical education: Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin, Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery of Education, The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What It Means to Be an Educated Human Being, Leisure: The Basis of Culture, and Mortimer Adler’s Six Great Ideas.

I love your posts Sonya! I have been secretly waiting for your point of view. I knew I was missing something on the classical approach but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I needed some direction. I will definitely be taking a look at those books and all the new terminology. Maybe I will find what I am looking for. I have heard a lot about notebooking too. I had almost forgot about it while diving into the WTM.

Knowing what you know now (to Sonya), how will your approach to educating your LO differ from your older child? Is logic something you will be doing from the very beginning? Let’s say if we could peek into the day of your child when they are maybe in 3rd grade (if you have thought that far), what would it be like? I must confess that I have thought that far.

I need long term goals (even if those goals change slightly) in order to give my short term goals directions. This is of course why I am contemplating it right now. Currently, I have my kids’ curriculum for the year already mapped out, so I am thinking of next year when they will both be ready to have a more formal and ridged schedule (for their age group that is). My children need consistency or they will take advantage of my kindness (lol), so I prefer to be ready with a general consistent idea of the future.

I don’t want the fact that I haven’t defined my educational philosophy to affect how I direct my child, so I realize the importance of doing my homework now (although I feel I should have done this a long time ago). I am trying to define my educational philosophy, and I love hearing about what worked for those who have done it and brought up successful children. So thanks again for sharing!

Yes, Thank you Sonya! :yes:

@ Cokers4life,

This is going to sound snotty, but I assure you it is not. You are a first generation college graduate - that means you are too dumb to know what you don’t know. I can say this because I too am a first generation college graduate. I have a very expensive degree but a really crappy education. So when I started out I happened across an article on Classical Education and Dorothy Sayers essay on Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning. I recently had gotten this thing called the internet in my home and found some resources on what a whole bunch of curriculum providers were calling classical. I wanted a good education for my child - he was 2 at the time and I was raring to go…ahhhh. :tongue: I have some great material to help you get what you are missing - if you want I can email you a list. At this point, I have realized that there is a whole lot of stuff I just don’t know about.

My big mistakes:

1. Not reading Charlotte Mason soon enough. She was poo-pooed by many in my circle of influence. So I didn’t bother. I don’t do that anymore,

2. Sticking with Saxon Math way longer than I should have. This one thing caused a 4 year battle in my family that left many wounds - most are healed now but there are some scars. If you read the Moshe Kai thread…yep, that was us and a whole bunch of other folks I know.

3. Not demanding perfection from the very beginning. I was harder than most parents I knew, but not hard enough. In reading Charlotte Mason - I realized it would have been better to demand 4 perfect M’s rather than a worksheet filled with pretty good M’s. Once a child can do a task it should be done well, a parent should never be slack in this area. This does more for a child than anything else. It will teach him diligence and pride in a job well done. It was also give him a distaste for the mediocre.

4, I didn’t want to send my child to college early as in 12 - 15, but we should have finished high school by 16. He has been a teenager way too long. We both agree on that. He was ready at 16 to be done.We were always a couple years ahead of even the most rigorous schedule - I was always afraid of being too pushy and I was told I was being too pushy. Well, I don’t listen to advice like that anymore either. He would have been happier being pushed. Now, I have a friend who produced 3, yes 3, National Merit Scholars. She kept all her boys home till 19. She has sound reasoning for this and she’s been able to secure over $300,000 in scholarships. So, here it’s going to depend on the child and your family.

1. I didn’t know the difference between necessary work and busy work. We were curriculum dependent till my son was in about 6th grade. Most of the busywork is for the parents - it makes them feel that they got something when they spent $100 for that curriculum. I’ve grown to despise busywork - it gives the illusion that you are educating a child.

What I did right and will do again:

1. Progrmnasmata - we didn’t start till my son was in 5th grade. You don’t need to curriculum for this. You just need your brain. If you don’t feel comfortable writing then when your child gets to 7th grade or so, you may want to pick up Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student or something like that. We did this all by imitation. So we found good examples of well written material then take it apart and then rewrite that in our own words and then take a completely different subject and apply the principles from the example to our own writing. We will use the progym like this:

Fable:
a re-telling of story with a moral
Introduced in k
Description:
a vivid presentation of details with word pictures
Introduced in 1st grade
Narrative and Anecdote:
a re-telling of a story from given facts and a re-telling of what a person said
Introduced in 2nd grade
Comparison and Contrast:
compare and contrast particular persons, things, or ideas
Introduced in 3rd grade
Encomium and Invective:
praise or condemn a particular person or thing
Introduced in 3rd grade
Proverb and Maxim:
praise or refute a proverbial saying
Introduced in 4th grade
Confirmation and Refutation:
defend or refute an alleged fact or event
Introduced in 5th grade
Commonplace:
declaration against general vices
Introduced in 7th grade
Characterization:
write in the voice and style of a particular character (real or fictional)
Introduced in 7th grade
Thesis:
argue an undecided subject
Introduced in 6th grade, but practiced primarily in 7th grade and on.
Proposal of Law:
argue for or against old or new laws
introduced in 8th grade
Suasoria:*
exercises in political oratory
Introduced in 11th grade
Controversia:*
exercises in judicial oratory
Introduced in 11th grade

• Suasoria and Controversia are not technically part of the progymnasmata. Instead they are the culminating projects done by students of the progymnasmata.

This does not mean that we only use the progym for that certain grade. I’ve given assignments from all previous years we are just careful when we introduce the new stuff. When dealing with fables, myths, or fairy tales they can be lots of fun and great exercises. First we take a story and tell it in our own words. Then cut it down to 50 words. Then 25. Next we tell it from a different point of view. Then as a news story, Options are endless. I did this for a summer class of 5-9th graders. It was a ton of fun and the kids learned so much.

1. Other than literature/history discussion I quit teaching in the 6th grade. I picked most classes and helped but he was in charge - I gave him a list to do and that was it. We’ll do that again. You can’t just stop in 6th grade you have to move into that over the years. He was irritated that his friends parents taught classes and I refused, but not now. He can teach himself and move faster than any of his peers. He doesn’t need me, which is the end goal.

2. The last 4 years, I’ve really reduced the amount of requirements in his life and have been around as a coach. This last year he has picked all of his classes except the Omnibus - that is a requirement from me. He has chosen to take statistics and linear algebra both college courses. Funny from a kid who hated math. He feels very prepared to move on when he leaves my house. He is not planning on attending college. He plans on apprenticing a couple years and then starting his own business. I was a little shocked by it, but his reasoning is sound and he’s put his plan on paper. He is taking steps on his own to get the experience he needs.

4.Schooled year round and took 2-3 week breaks to take vacations (always there was reading) and do an intensive of some kind. I don’t mean a unit study, but maybe we are going to take 3 weeks and go to the East Coast and visit historical sites. Come home and then watch a video series on Gettyburg, and perhaps read more books and whatever. Maybe we take 3 weeks and study the history of Arms and Armour.

What will a school day look like in 3rd grade? I don’t know. I started working on curriculum plans when I was pregnant - even before I discovered Early Learning. My plan was to start my child on reading around two. Well, he’s reading and he just turned two. He’s moving faster and is light years ahead of my son. What do you do when you know there are kids on here doing basic algebra at 4? It throws a monkey wrench into the whole planning. However, here are the guideline that I don’t think will change. And I am still against early college before 16. I want my child to have a full classical education. There are some things that require maturity - Dante’s Inferno requires maturity, The Origin of the Species requires maturity. So, we will do the Omnibus starting in 7th grade and work all year till all six books are finished. History will start officially in 1st grade with Ancient Egypt and we’ll cover all of history in 3 years in two cycles. We will cover European/American history 2x in those cycles as well. This is a Charlotte Mason approach - we’ll be using real books and we’ll have to pick something as a spine, I just haven’t decided yet. Age 4 & 5 we will cover geography and family history. Summers will be a chance to study particular time periods in depth. I have a list of books I think are must reads in elementary. We’ll be doing BFSU - which is classical in approach - covering it all in more depth as we mature. From there, not sure, it will depend on him. We’re starting Latin as soon as the new LR comes out. Math - we are just going to have to figure it all out as we go along. That one doesn’t take maturity and so you can move faster - same with science.

Here’s the thing you guys have to remember when looking at curriculum and suggestions from the WTM and others. These guys are not into EL. So while their kids are spending the better part of k-2 learning to read, and do basic math our kids are going to be way past that. And, it is not like your children will just be 2 - 3 years ahead eventually they will be 6-8 years ahead. The more they learn the easier it is to learn. I have a little boy in daycare. I started teaching him to read when he was almost 3. He is turning 5 in a month. I started teaching my little guy to read a little over a year ago. The two of them are almost in the same place. The little daycare boy can sound out more words but my son knows probably 1000 more words when he sees them. In 3-4 months my son will be way past this 5 year old.It is going to take awhile before he catches back up. And my little daycare boy is way past any of the kids he is going to school with. Other than history/literature/handwriting and art…well, I’m winging it like the rest of you.

Thank you so much for your post, and no offense was taken. I feel like my personal education is just beginning. Sometimes I think I am looking more for a curriculum for myself than for my kids. lol.

There is lots to think about.