which books?

hi all , i am new to this forum, after reading few topics i am finding it interesting.Well my baby is too small , so i am wondering
which books should i start reading to my 3 month old baby?

You can read anything to a 3 month old :>)
My husband used to show and read to my girls his firetruck magazines and they just laid in his arms and intently listened. To this day he can pull out that stuff and they are actually interested in it. LOL.

But as far as some of my favorite books for babies:
Good Night Moon ( my oldest’s all time favorite when she was a baby. I literally memorized the story when she was little because if we had to travel in the car she could cry. As soon as I started to recite the book she literally would stop crying.LOL)

Love You As Much

and really any kind of chunky board book you can get your hands on :>)

I really liked these high contrast book by Tana Hoban. We had “Black on White” and “White on Black.” Later when we started working on reading I put a word under each image in the book. For example under the fish, I wrote “fish.” The “Black on White” book had a white background so I just used a marker. Then on the other, there was a black background so I wrote on a mailing label and put it under the image. I didn’t realize Tana Hoban had so many other books too. It looks like they are all high contrast. Here’s a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Tana-Hoban/dp/0688119182

Lori

Hey Thanx , i am definitely gonna buy this book as , my little one enjoys watching black white and red characters.Thanx Lori.
also i already bought the The Good night moon book , she really njoys it.Thanx Tracy for ur input.

Should i start reading words flashcards to my 3 month old baby or is it too early???

When my son was three months old I was reading to him atleast three times a day for ten minutes. Now four months later he loves reading time. It has helped create a familiar routine for him since I read to him at the same times each day. He loves stories that rhyme the rhythm helps me keep an unbeat tone to keep him interested. Sometimes when there is nothing available to read I just make up a story. I did not start the flashcards until my son was about five months old I wish I had known about the flash cards earlier because as soon as your baby starts crawling its harder to show them the flashcards. I used to be able to go through 20+ cards at a time now I have to have the flashcards handy for the times he is willing to sit still or secure him in his high chair to show him 20+ cards. And if he is out and about playing I am able to show him 7 - 10 flashcards at a time. I would definitely take advantage of these earlier months with your little one to show them the flash cards.

As akalori, i too am a fan of Tana Hoban Blacks and Whites. I have seen my grandaughter looking with attention to the images and think they are a very good adquisitions, and relativley cheap.

Mela,
So you would suggest starting with the flashcards before month 5?
Would i be just images or with words on them.
I am planning to start LR at month 6. When would you start Cards if it can go back in time?

BEBES,

Im not expert on teaching my baby and this is my first child. But the stimulation cards and toys reccomended for new babies are black and white images. I do not see how much different having your baby view letters (words) is from the designs and shapes. My son loves looking at the word flashcards. I am not clear on how a baby’s memory works and I am sure it varies with each baby but I think that if you keep up with the flashcards the letters would be familiar even before they are 6 months old. My son still does not pay much attention to the pictures unless I am being very animated with their description or if he is watching his brillkid lesson. If I could go back in time I would start the word flashcards as soon as my son showed interest in them by smiling or atleast payed attention. So with my next baby if I have one I would probably start showing them a few word cards around one month old and wait for the signals to continue. During the first four to five months my son was constantly nursing so I would not have been able to show him as many word cards as I do now. I have always heard people telling me to read to my baby when I was prenatal and to continue reading to him from the day he was born. I talked to my son alot from the first time I held him and even if I had started the word flashcards too young for him to comprehend atleast he would have heard how sentences are broken down into single words and had more black and white images to look at. The BrillKid box I received when I purchased the deluxe reader (which is great!!!) says for ages three months and up. Whether these programs will have my son reading at an early age or not it has been a great bonding experience for the two of us and I am confident that exposing him to these kinds of programs will only further his development and each baby is different but I think that programs like these should be encouraged. I used to work full time and staying at home with my son is a big lifestyle change but these programs have brought some routine/structure to our daily activities other than eating, sleeping and playing.

If anyone has any advice or insight for using these programs during I would really appreciate it. I do not want to overload my son but so far he seems happy and content with his lessons and if he shows displeasure when we are done I often do a little extra.