When to start using a baby walker?

When do you normally start using a baby walker?

Also is there anything to look out for when buying one? thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I think they are a personal preference. And it depends what you mean by walker. The walker that a child sits in does not benefit walking ability and is banned in several countries for being dangerous because they can tip over or fall down stairs.

The kid of walker that you push is much more beneficial. My son started using one at 6months. This was when he started cruising. So I would say when your child starts to cruise.

I must admit I’m a mom who used a walker for both of my kiddos. Both of my homes were one story and I used a walker for limited periods of time, like while I was in the kitchen cooking or cleaning. Both of mine were early crawlers and walkers so I would have to say I doubt the use of a walker stunted their physical development. If you use one make sure you think of the child’s safety, tipping over and getting into things they otherwise would not have access to.

I probably used a walker once they could sit up in the seat, not age driven but physical ability driven.

Our pediatrician informed us not to use a walker at all. He told us it could lead to back problems. So I set up an obstacle course with our living room furniture so Cayden could practice walking freely using his hands for support. Every couple nights I would rearrange the furniture so he could face new challenges and slowly started leaving space I between so he was forced to take a couple steps on his own. I have read about parents installing a low bar on the wall with a mirror on the wall so their child can practice walking by hanging on to the bar while looking in the mirror. Here is an article about the safety issues using a walker.
http://www.babycenter.com/404_will-baby-walkers-and-jumpers-help-my-baby-learn-to-walk_6878.bc
http://www.pediatricservices.com/parents/pc-21.htm

It is a personal preference and truth be told i had no choice once my husband heard the pediatrician’s view on walkers he was happy to have me cross that off my loooooong list of things to buy. My parents did buy a walker for Cayden which he used a total of 1 hour. He would only sit in it for 10 mins top at a time. My parents had trouble finding a good walker and had to buy a couple until we found one we liked. I will have to check with them about the make and model and will let you know. I think since they are close to being banned many companies just do not put the effort in walkers. I remember one of the walkers had Winnie the pooh toys on it and was adorable but Cayden’s feet could not touch the ground while he was in it even though his height is normal for his age. My father tried everything to try to adjust the walker but nothing worked.

Might give the walker a miss altogether now.

I like this, great idea.

I have to agree with all the NEVER comments. Besides being a dangerous piece of equipment, it is actually more detrimental than beneficial in terms of your child’s gross motor development. Their legs may not be strong enough to support their weight yet and you will be teaching the child to depend on a piece of equipment to do the walking/supporting for them. Why walk when I can just scoot around? They will walk eventually at their own accord but do seek help if the child is not walking by 18 months.

I like the obstacle course idea, too - I used to put a series of upside-down crates and laundry baskets around the room to teach my twins to cruise. My baby boy (13 months) loves to push things around, however, so we have a Mega Bloks dump truck that he uses as a walker by pushing it around the room. Honestly, I don’t think he spends that much time pushing it around for it to cause physical problems with his back or his walking posture, and I’ve see it help him improve his balance and control (stopping, turning, etc…).

Never, really. There are so many excellent activities you canndomwith your child to stimulate him. We have not used it with ours and they both were very early walkers, even though it was not our goal

I’ve always shied away from using them, it seems like when they are ready, they’ll be ready.

Baby walker is one of the best baby products which is mainly used to help babies with walking step by step. Generally baby walker is used after 1 year means when the baby moves himself using knees then after you can provide baby walker to baby for further walking.

My kids seem to really benefit from this kind of walker:

http://img01.cp.aliimg.com/imgextra/i2/522640381/T2DuRuXilNXXXXXXXX_!!522640381.jpg

It helps them figure out the pattern of walking. My 4th kid seemed to be slower than my first three, then I realized we needed to pull our walkers out of storage, and she’s really getting it now, and has a big desire to use it. She loves it too, it’s aiding her independence.

But I wouldn’t want a walker that supports the babies weight, only one that helps them keep their balance and encourages them to do the left-right-left-right leg movement necessary.

Wow! I am really surprised to see all the negative comments. Our (now former) pediatrician warned against them, too, but a relative bought one for our son, anyway. Once he got tall enough to reach to ground, I put his sneakers on & turned him loose in our carpet-free single-story house. It was fabulous! He loved being able to follow me around the house & quickly learned to navigate corners, hallways & even the transition between the hardwood & slate floors. Pretty soon, he was mostly using it for balance & standing up kind of dragging it along as he ran through the house. It was hilarious fun for him because he could keep up with the dogs or come in the kitchen to sample whatever I had on the chopping board. He got to be “part of the action” much more fully than if he had been limited to creeping or scooting. Now, I did not use it as a “babysitter” or leave him in it except for relatively brief intervals when he was content to be there, but I really cannot see how it could possibly have harmed him. It was not nearly so confining as the many other items people put their babies in…playpens, swings, jumpers. He walked fully on his own by about the one-year mark & does not have any back or leg problems. I would definitely use it again.

Never ever use the sit in kind, although this kind is okay
http://www.bababump.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/a/baby-walker-with-wooden-alphabet-blocks-from-pintoy-731-p.jpg
and mostly a matter of preference.
Sorry about the giant image I can’t seem to resize it.

If you’re set on having one, the time to use it is once they can cruise the furniture. Unless the child has stalled from frustration, ie they no longer walk far because they cannot get to anywhere they would like to go, a walker will not help them walk faster.

I give walker to wagon with my son when he have 9 month. when he started walking but He did not like it.
I think it depends on each child. He did not use a walker to walk but he played it at the age of 1.4 months and now he likes it