When to start sustained silent reading?

My dd is reading really well now and she reads aloud so fast I find it hard to keep up with her. She is reading aloud a 1 chapter per night to me or my hubby.

As she is now reading so fast I am wondering if it is time to start sustained silent reading and wondering how you go about it to actually make sure she is reading. (At this point in time he would rather do anything than read) sucky attitude since starting school.

How do you entice her to sit quietly and read for 10minutes (Don’t think that is unreasonable amount of time) and make sure she is actually reading what she is reading?

I’d be interested to hear your opinions?

I would start by having her read aloud and get used to sumarising the chapter she has just read. Once she is able to do this competently then I would have her go ahead and read to herself and have her summarise for you. She is reading, you are verifying comprehension and she is summarizing. And it gives you the chance to make books more exciting by having discussions about them.

I have found that many (not all) kids lose a little comprehension once they go to silent reading. I think it is that they go on autopilot and lose focus in what they are reading. I know that I do sometimes. I will be reading a heavy text and have no idea what I had read. So I go back and read again slowly, or out loud.
I also use reading aloud as a method for increasing comprehension in older students.

Thank you for that. I have no idea to how to go about it. I will definitely start chapter summarizing tonight.

My elder DD has recently started this - basically I give her a book that is easier than the one she reads aloud to me (she is also reading a chapter a night to me aloud) and leave her to read it and then since we are homeschooling I may get her to act out some of what she has read or draw a picture about what she has read or if she is happy to then she just tells me what she has read and I might ask some questions.