When to start dd w/ ds on BrillKids?

Obviously I am new here. :biggrin:

I am in a bit of unique situation. We just adopted my almost 5 yo daughter w/ds from EE in the last 6 months. She is very delayed but has made amazing progress, and seems to be working hard to progress.

I am wondering if BK would be a good fit for her. BK seems to be designed for kids who are dramatically younger in age than she is, though close to her cognitive ability.

I know that her brain is as fluid and flexible NOW as it is ever likely to be, so am wondering if BK might really help her?

It is a big investment for us, so thoughts?

Angibee,

I can share some of my personal observation.

We have been using LR with few older children from the orphanages in former Soviet Union en route for their adoption.

In that particular situation, LR was used with primary goal of exposure to language and vocabulary expansion, and it worked wonderfully.

I have seen it used with children 3 - 8 years old like that, and it definitely served its purpose.

Another unique feature of LR, which might be really beneficial, is that you can customize the lessons, for example you can put pictures of family members, photos of familiar objects, etc.

You can even possibly download some of the lessons in her native language, and then make the same lesson in English. Just some ideas.

And in case it can be a help, BrillKids Foundation gives scholarships to families under special circumstances, you can always write in and see if you qualify :slight_smile: http://www.brillkids.org/

Hope this helps and congratulations on your new daughter!

Thanks for the input!

Even though I read that you could customize the lesson, the importance of that feature did not really hit me until you made that point, so thanks!!

Excited for the first day of my free trial today!

Wonderful, you can try all different functions on the trial version, it is a fully functional trial, so you can really “test drive it” :slight_smile:

Also, check out additional lessons libraries, created by other parents, that you can use with your LR:

http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=63 – English

http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=64 – Foreign languages

It is really the treasury of teaching materials there, thanks to everyone’s contributions!

Have fun!

LOL, it’s funny how we RR moms get around isn’t it. I’m looking into this for Anna and Tanner as well. They’ve learned their alphabet and sounds, but sight reading is so much more efficient for them. After reading the Doman books, I’ve come to think Brillkids will be great for them and their vocabulary.

HA HA HA yeah we definitely do get around!

I am on day 3 of the trial and really impressed!

So glad you like it! What is your girl’s native tong?

she was/is totally nonverbal. But we really couldn’t tell if she was hearing russian or ukrainian…

Understand! If she comes from Eastern Ukraine 95% chance it was probably Russian, Kiev -50/50 chance of Russian vs Ukrainian and Western Ukraine – 98% chance Ukrainian – hope it helps! I spent years working with children in Ukrainian orphanages and so so so happy she got her new family! Cant describe it in words! What a Christmas gift.

I am glad you also will be able to use LR, in my opinion it is one of the best tools out there, as you can have control over speed, presentation, progress. Please do keep us posted how it is going!

yeah she is from the Kiev region, so that’s why we don’t really know…

I could find out without too much trouble, but honestly they never talked to her - ever.

One of my main questions is how will I be able to tell progress? And I am also wondering if it matters? Just exposing her to the stuff is really good though.

I think exposing her to input that is easy for her to take in, making it fun and having lots of personal interaction – what really matters

Tanner was absolutely non-verbal before coming home as well. You will see progress by noticing how much of what you say, she understands. Tanner understands just about everything we say, and he has about 100 words that he says spontaneously that are understandable. He can also identify everything in his environment, body parts, alphabet, colors, and shapes. We do not have a speech therapist though, and are just now looking into Brillkids, so I hope others chime in.