When is the right time to introduce couplets and sentences

My 4mo old baby has crossed more than 100words. When can I introduce couplets and sentences.

I believe that Doman recommends moving on to sentences and couplets once a child has 50 words.

Yes I remember. But I understood from others in this forum that it is better to introduce when the child is bit older. But I am not sure how old is the right time.

I don’t know why they think it better to introduce it later…I’d be interested in their arguments for that.

My understanding is that an awful lot of parents have trouble moving from single words to sentences, possibly because of waiting too long.

I started straight away. Eg when I had covered several colours i started to add them to words such as “blue car”, “white plate” “pink flower”.

I see no logical reason to wait…but perhaps I have missed something :blush:

I found introducing couplets was a great way to re-capture my baby’s interest. He seemed to be getting bored and the idea that you could connect two words together to create a new idea seemed to fascinate him. I can’t remember exactly how old he was though. He’s 8 months now so I’m guessing it must have been about 5 or 6 months when I started with the couplets. I agree with TmS - I don’t know why you shouldn’t start now. I have never heard any of the arguments either.

Arvi,

Glenn Doman in his book " How to teach your baby to read" states that once a child has acquired a basic reading vocabulary of single words he is now ready to put those words together to make couplets. He doesn’t really specify how many words baby needs to know. Although he describes areas of words you should present first to a baby:
Objects, Possessions, Foods, Animals, Actions. In each area he gave an example of 12 single words that gives total of 60 words.

So when you want to present couplets example: orange juice, baby should know these words already. If you presented enough single words to create couplets go ahead and don’t wait. Introduce colors and create new couplets.

Baby will be happy seeing old words he already knows that can create a new idea. Beside that you still will be introducing new words by reading books to a baby.

There is no wrong way for teaching baby how to read until you do this without enthusiasm and joy!

I wrote a first post on my blog about my way of teaching reading http://earlylearning-eaton.blogspot.com/. It’s not perfect Doman method though, but you can find some ideas about books you can create for your baby in near future.

If you want to do this perfectly as Doman says, it’s always good to go back and re-read “How to teach your baby to read”.

I hope that helped a little bit.

Enjoy your teaching!! The result will be astonishing :slight_smile: