When do I retire the crawling track?

My baby is crawling on her belly now on the carpet. Is it time to stop using the crawling track or am I supposed to have her crawl in the flat track? I tried to look through the book to find out (HSIYB) but it’s not laid out well and I can never just look up one piece of info! I think I remember a part that said ‘Congratulations, you can now retire the crawling track because it is no longer needed.’ but can’t find it.

The track is just meant to be a safe place for her to learn to crawl. If she is already crawling on the carpet then there is no need to continue using the track. It will be much more interesting for her to crawl around your house.

Yay!

Plarka,
Is she crawling at 5 months? I understand it is very good to crawl a lot before walking. I thought crawling was expected at 8-9 month old. Your baby will definitely like physical activities.

She’s crawling on her belly, commando crawling it’s sometimes called. It’s because we’ve always put her on her tummy during the day since she was a day old, and used the crawling track at an incline, as in the book How Smart Is Your Baby, so she could crawl down with the help of gravity. It works!

How do you help baby to get from commando crawling to up on all fours proper cross-pattern crawling?
We have mainly tiles in our house and she is sliding around everywhere commando style, but I would like to see her up on her knees doing the cross-pattern crawling. Any suggestions anyone?? Marion :slight_smile:

Here’s a video of my baby crawling if anyone’s interested!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khv2RYNfOlA

All I can think of to get a baby to crawl on all fours is put them in that position, if you haven’t tried that already.