When did your child read their first word and what was it?

Id love to hear other parents first experiences when they realised their child can read single words.
I think my daughter just verbally read out loud her first non Little Reader or non YBCR word.

A packet of nutmeg fell out of the cupboard and she picked it up and looked at the words and then said “Nutmeg” She didn’t say it perfectly it was more the Nu and the Me sound I heard (she is only 17 months old) and I thought that maybe I was hearing things so I asked her “what does it say?” She then said it again “Nutmeg”. The grandmother was there to hear it as well, so I know I wasn’t just hearing what I wanted to hear. Oh its very exciting, I don’t think she has ever seen the written word nutmeg before so it is very exciting and I just wanted to share and hear other parents stories.
I think it was around 14 months that I first noticed her read a word, she saw the written word “car” there were no pictures or anything like that to give it away and then I saw her used sign language to show me the sign for car.

I’m excited to see what will happen over the next few months.

congrats! How exciting! My twelve month old is showing a lot of interest in words and will point to them and then look at me for an answer. He knows what a star is and points to any picture and says star which is a great beginning for us!

At 16 months, I heard my son wake up from his nap and he kept saying hi! When I walked into the room, he was pointing down to the hi flashcards left on his floor. He also started picking out the word hi in the alphabet because h ad I are right next to each other. We started Ybcr at 14 months.

My eldest read the word “dog” though she said “doh” at 12.5 months and my younger DD read the word “Mummy” at 16 months. I have a feeling the difference is due to differences in language and particularly speech acquisition as my younger, now 19 months says far fewer words than my elder did at the same age.

HI kiwimum! Yes your DD is reading! It looks like she has graduated from sight reading and made sense of phonics! Congratulations! Prepare yourself for more pleasant surprises on your EL journey :slight_smile:

My eldest’s first word is “Dickies”, the brand-name of her Dad’s baseball cap. What a surprise to us because she hasn’t seen it before! She was 16-months when she read that. She was sight-reading well at 9-mos old. My current baby sight-read at 10-mos old (cough, shout, kick, clap. etc) :slight_smile:

wow nadia! your kids started reading very early. which methods did u use to teach them.
or was it combination of programs?
which programs?
what was your scheduled like?
sorry for so many questions but you have succefully teach your kids and will love to hear how.