"When Babies Read: a Practical Guide to Help Young Children with Hyperlexia..."

Though the book concerns autistic kids, both Titzer & Doman are mentioned.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OwCQLVEK8jQC&lpg=PP1&ots=FV6UGpgvFy&dq="your%20baby%20can%20read"&lr&pg=PA34#v=onepage&q=create%20a%20hyperlexic&f=false

DadDude, thank you very much for showing this book. Although writing “thank you” replies is not encouraged here, I thought I would do it nevertheless. Early reading is generally discussed as part of early education, and not so much as part of early intervention, which is currently my biggest area of interest. (By the way, are you planning to also look at early reading from this angle in your paper?). I was excited to find some of my own thoughts on the preview pages, so I can’t wait to get hold of this book!

Thanks for posting this - I am reading some of this book and found it incredibly interesting - more because it shows how someone used reading to teach language and therefore how reading and spoken language are so linked that it is possible to teach them the opposite way round. It is also good to know what hyperlexia really is as that term comes up around a lot of children who read early - my daughter is certainly not hyperlexic - she may read early but in actual fact has normal to advanced social skills.

Once a child can read you can use the reading to teach so many new things - we had fun at the airport the other day showing her signs and helping her to show us where to go to get to different things. She was so excited by her new found freedom - she could figure out by herself how to get to the train or where we could view the planes all by herself - it gives her a lot of much wanted independence which is important at 3 (and be aware when you try this that it also gives you as parents a much bigger responsibility to keep up with your child else she will literally disappear in her quest after something she has read!)

Just finished reading this book. It is very good, full of useful guidance on teaching to read, which is based on sound ABA principles. Although my daughter is not hyperlexic, a lot of the techniques shown will be applicable to her.

Another great find which I wanted to share with other parents of children with communication delays:

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Language-Aspergers-developmental-disorders/dp/0965756505/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#_

From what I have seen in the available preview, this book makes a case that it IS developmentally appropriate to teach reading early to such kids, as they are quite often strong visual learners and assimilate information much better if it is presented to them visually rather than orally. Shame this book is so expensive to buy!