What's your child's learning style?

Everyone has a different learning style, it’s important to understand your children. Every time I tried to teach my son (4 yrs old) anything, I ended up feeling dejected. Until I finally come to terms (yesterday) with the fact that he learns differently, VERY differently from most kids, and VERY different from me. His teachers tell me that he almost never follow instructions, wonders away from the class, but he did learn! He reads better than the rest of the class even though it appeared that he never paid attention. He prefers to observe and will not participate unless he is confident.

I didn’t learn about the right brain teaching until I found this forum about 2 months ago. It’s a little late for my son. I’ve been trying to teach him but it is very difficult since he doesn’t want to be taught, even if it’s something he really like.

What’s your child’s learning style? How do you adjust your teaching methods?

The most important thing is that he’s learning, which it seems like he is. So, congratulations, cos he may be a genius inside!

Some kids are mavericks, have their own mind and will do things differently, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad, so don’t get dejected. The most important thing is that we recognize it (like you do) and we adjust accordingly. The first adjustment I think, and probably the most important one, is in our own attitudes and emotions. Release whatever expectations that we may have in how a child is meant to learn or how he’s meant to behave. Perhaps the other adjustments that may need to be made will be become clearer to you once you’re in that better frame of mind.

hay hi,
that’ s a very good question.and your son is genius.just like mine.i have three sons 5, 4 and 1yrs.so i had the same situition with my 4yr old .he never pays attention what i 'm saying but he learns.and he 's better than my older one .i have used a lot of teaching method like tv computer.cooking playing singing.stories.flash card and most important thing complements.every second of the minute they need complement and your patience.i do not know how you are doing with your son but try to calm your self and just keep doing wht you are doing even if he is not paying attention untill you finishthe book or somthing .and just pretend that you have enjoy a lot .leave every thing there .and watch him if he will come to that place .it means he was listening to you .and he was learning that 's wht i did to my son .i was succeeded.now he is in preschool.he is enjoying and learning there very good.

Cada niño es diferente y lo que funcione para uno, para otro no. Por eso simpre es bueno encontrar una forma en que el niño disfrute aprendiendo. Por ejemplo, mi hija presta muy poca atencion a las flashcards y math dots, cuando le leo un libro no se queda mucho tiempo conmigo, pero es la forma en que ella es. Aunque no presta mucha atencion, busco la forma que le interese, ademas la incentivo mediante cosas que a ella le gusta hacer. Siempre le estoy hablando y explicandole las cosas que hacemos, si salimos en el auto y vemos un bus, se lo señalo y le digo lo que es, lo cual es otra forma de enseñarle.
Safira, mi hija, es de observar mucho a las personas, lpor ende aprende mucho y mas cuando esta rodeado de niños mayores. Tambien he descubierto que copia las cosas que yo hago, como lavarme las manos y secarme, no se lo enseñe pero lo ve que lo hago asi que ella tambien lo hace. Los niños son monitos de imitacion asi que puedes enseñarle mucho mediante tu ejemplo, ademas ellos te observan todo el tiempo.

It’s amazing how much children learn when we aren’t pressuring them to learn and I think they learn the most when they are having fun or when they are really intent on finding an answer they want to know.

I agree with y’all. Kids have different personalities, and learning styles. My first and 4th liked reading and doing workbooks (for fun). My second is active and creative. He does better doing his spelling words in the sand or in playdough, or in shaving cream. He’d listen better, too, if we had him sit on his head on the sofa, instead of on his bottom. lol My 3rd can learn something if he can sing it. Definitely an auditory learner. Repetition gets it done, too, hearing it helps.

My husband loves teaching active (often labeled ADHD) kids. He finds them to be very bright. Sure, they may be crawling under the table, but then they’ll ask the most insightful questions. They don’t have to be sitting still to hear. (Although, we do teach our boys to control their bodies, so that they can sit still at appropriate times. You know, it’s more work to keep a boy body still than it is for them to be moving. :wink: )

I think most kids and classrooms just move too slowly for the active minds. We found that giving them something “distracting” (but not to others) to do helped them control their bodies while they listened. (Playing with those stress balls, or beads, or playdough, or something tactile.) I heard that letting them sit on one of those exercise balls instead of a chair helps some children, but we didn’t try that. (I supposed it would be less distracting than having someone upside down in the classroom.) :biggrin:

Aren’t kids just wonderful!

My grandson is same way. He seems to only learn when music is involved or we are playing. He has learned from YBCR video. I keep showing him the flashcards and Little reader, but I am not sure if he is getting it. But he only does something when he is confident he knows it, so maybe he will surprise me one day and all of sudden be able to read a hundred words.

He is definitely driven by compliments. I too leave out what we have done to see if he returns and shows any interest. He usually does. I think this means he likes it but still is unsure about it. He definitely does not like to be tested.

I just try to expose him to a variety of input and hope that he is absorbing. I have to be creative to make things fun so he is interested and happy, and I am hoping the learning is happening behind the scenes.

Dear All,

It is important to understand the learning style of yourself, as well as your child. Because how you learn is how you tend to teach.

Please see the link below for more insights:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/Learning_Styles.html

Happy Learning!
Ayesha :slight_smile:

As I have once mentioned, my children have autism so they are very visual learners. They understand more with visual pictures and visual schedules.